Love our Down Town Wool Filled Mattress Pad - Report with Pictures
Jul 16, 2011 10:08 PM
Since mattress pads and toppers get a lot of discussion here, I thought I'd start a new thread reporting on the Down Town wool fill mattress pad that we are using.  Our DIY mattress project is chronicled here:  http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-foambymail-diy-mattress-report-pictures/19412-A-1.html  After trying 3 or 4 other pads and toppers before this one, we couldn't be any happier with it.  This pad has been great.  It is only about .75" thick so it doesn't change the feel of the latex too much.  I think another thing that helps is that the pad is slightly oversized, so I intentionally put it on without stretching it tight so that it can give more with the latex.  The pad gives the latex just the right amount of plush feeling.  The latex itself is plently soft enough and sleeps great, but to me it lacks a "luxurious" feel to it.  With this topper, the mattress has that.  And it is great to be sleeping on natural wool fibers.  In our 100 degree Mississippi heat, it is sleeping cool!  The one knock some might have on it are the anchor bands instead of a fitted skirt, but I think this is actually an advantage to not fitting the pad too tight to the latex.  We have not had any problems with it moving on top of our FBM terry cover.

We purchased the pad from Sierra Trading Post, but it is no longer available there.  I found it at this website for a decent price ($209 for a king):  http://www.finelinenandbath.com/store/down-town-pillows-and-comforters/product/down-town-wool-filled-mattress-pad/ 

Here are the pics of the pad and packaging with more info:

Let me know if anyone has any questions. 

-Cliff

Re: Love our Down Town Wool Filled Mattress Pad - Report with Pictures
Reply #1 Jul 17, 2011 4:33 PM
Looks to be a very good quality protector, I would think if you do not want to have it dry cleaned regularly you can just take it outside and put it out in the sun, it should freshen right up.
Reply #2 Jul 17, 2011 8:49 PM
How long have you had the pad? 

It looks nice and I like the materials used.  Thanks for sharing this information.

Reply #3 Jul 17, 2011 9:49 PM
Budgy, there are care instructions on the reverse side of one of the labels that says something about regular fluffing and airing outside.  In reality, how often do you think that should be done?

We've had the pad for right at a month now.

Reply #4 Jul 18, 2011 2:02 PM
TheLTFM wrote:

Budgy, there are care instructions on the reverse side of one of the labels that says something about regular fluffing and airing outside.  In reality, how often do you think that should be done?

We've had the pad for right at a month now.

I would say once every couple months, but there is no regular rule of thumb for this kind of stuff. 

Reply #5 Jul 22, 2011 10:55 AM
Another nice post, thanks! Looks like a great option.

How tall a mattress will the straps fit onto? I didnt see a mention of that in the product specs.  I agree you dont want  to stretch anything tight over the latex - definitely changes the feel.

Reply #6 Jul 22, 2011 8:17 PM
proof1st wrote

How tall a mattress will the straps fit onto? I didnt see a mention of that in the product specs. 

I would guess the anchor bands could be stretched to fit over at least a 20" mattress with ease.  They are not stretched out very much on our 10" latex mattress. 

Recent Posts