$50,000 mattress review-- you will love this one!
Sep 23, 2010 9:18 PM
Well, it's been a long time since I last posted at his website. I have been very busy with my computer. Bad crashes, new purchases, new operating systems, the works.

Oh well, whoever said life was fair?

I found this very interesting report on a $50,000 mattress reviewed by a New York Times reporter and I just had to post it here as I think you will find it quite enlightening and entertaining. Not very far off, actually, from a lot of the experience of the regular members of this forum.

When it comes to those who manufacture mattresses.......... the beat goes on!!!

Happy reading.laugh

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/garden/23roadtest.html

Don

Re: $50,000 mattress review-- you will love this one!
Reply #1 Sep 23, 2010 9:32 PM
Priceless!
Reply #2 Sep 30, 2010 4:45 PM
It has never made sense to me why manufacturers put mattress tops on that are hugely tufted. They feel very lumpy. They do this even on cheap beds. Most people prefer a smooth, even surface to sleep on. 

thx for posting this!

Reply #3 Oct 9, 2010 8:05 PM
jasmine wrote:

It has never made sense to me why manufacturers put mattress tops on that are hugely tufted. They feel very lumpy. They do this even on cheap beds. Most people prefer a smooth, even surface to sleep on. 

thx for posting this!

jasmine: You are most welcome!

I agree that a heavily tufted mattress is not very accommodating. But the whole point of my post was the fact that just spending a lot of money does not guarantee a good nights sleep. While it is certainly true that a quality mattress is going to cost quite a bit more than a lesser quality matters, the kind of money that some people evidently have to spend on this type of thing will not buy a good nights sleep.

As has been written and experienced by many on this forum, were all highly individualized when it comes to what we think is comfortable for a good nights sleep. But it goes without saying that you must have good support to keep your spine in alignment, and we all would like to have a certain degree of softness to take away pressure points. While it does not get much exposure on this forum I still believe that possibly the best all-around mattress is a water bed that has been properly constructed and inflated with water. I know, I slept on one for well over 20 years and in the main, found it quite comfortable. However the downside is they can leak, and moving them is a real pain.

That is why I believe that the tried-and-true innerspring mattress has so many followers. If it is properly constructed of quality materials I believe a really great innerspring mattress and box springs can be had for well under $3000. It's just hard to find people who are willing to manufacture these mattresses for this kind of a price. Most people cannot afford a mattresses that cost more than $2000, I can certainly appreciate that. But if the mattress is well constructed and would last for 15 years or so, without breaking down, then it would be well worth the money, it seems to me. But $50,000 is absolutely ludicrous!

This message was modified Oct 9, 2010 by eagle2

Recent Posts