Just bought a new Flobeds
Sep 21, 2009 3:31 PM
I just purchased a new FloBeds. It is the 100% natural Talalay 4 layer mattresses. The top most layer being a soft egg crate 2" piece of Talalay.  

I purchased the following configuration. On the left side of the bed I have a median top layer, firm middle layer, and extra firm bottom layer. On the right side the top layer is firm, the second layer is extra firm, and the bottom layer is extra firm.

I felt that this should give me an opportunity to switch the layers around and come up with the configuration that will work the best for my 6' 2"  210 pound frame. It has been quite a wrestling match, reading all the different descriptions that various people like, when it comes to firmness layers. You also run into this with some of the websites. No two people seem to consider this the same way. So I'm just going to have to experiment.

This is one of the main reasons that I went with FloBeds. They have the most liberal exchange policy coupled with a generous return policy. They definitely get more money than some of the other sites. But when you're purchasing something this expensive from the Internet, and cannot lay on it, feel it, look at it, and even smell it, it's good to have a situation where you can make corrections at a nominal expense. Given the fact that FloBeds has an excellent reputation with the BBB, and Dave and Dewey Turner are excellent people to do business with, it just seemed to make good sense to me to consider the extra cost as an insurance policy.

One last point I would like to make. I just realize that I have been misspelling FloBeds name. I had been misspelling it "FlowBeds." Wrong!    It is spelled FloBeds.com. I hope I have not misdirected anyone.

It will probably take about a week to get this bed in my home, set up, and slept on. When I have had an opportunity to do this I will be sure to post back and let you know what my experiences are, as I know how confusing this kind of a purchase can be.

This message was modified Sep 22, 2009 by eagle2
Re: Just bought a new Flobeds
Reply #156 Jan 28, 2010 1:00 AM
I will post again the link I posted earlier to the Sears web site. It is quite close to my pad. It says 100% cotton!!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_09606644000P?vName=
Bed+&psid=FROOGLE01&sName=Various+Coordinates&cName=BeddingEssentials&aff=Y&sid=I0084400010000100600

Copy and past it. It works I just checked it!

They say it is 100% cotton and then say it is filled with dreamloft fiber. So I don't know. They do not say if this is NOT cotton!
This message was modified Jan 28, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #157 Jan 28, 2010 1:30 AM
Yeah, I saw the Sears link earlier, but I don't believe it is cotton fiberfill (batting) however.  That is why I wondered where you found the cotton fiberfill, not polyester or whatever they called it.  If it doesn't say cotton filling I don't think it is.
Reply #158 Jan 28, 2010 1:36 AM
If you go to the Flobeds website, they have 100% cotton mattress pads.  They also have them on Amazon.

http://www.flobeds.com/mattresspads.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Newpoint-Organic-Cotton-Queen-Mattress/dp/B001IBHYQS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1264660350&sr=8-3

Reply #159 Jan 28, 2010 1:37 AM
I took off the "protective cover" I had on my mattress, and I'm not using a pad.  I know this doesn't really protect the zippered mattress cover very well, but anything that goes on the latex dampens the latex experience.

This is the Flobed mattress pad:  http://www.flobeds.com/product_details.htm?id=0916QU
It is 100% cotton with cotton batting.

If I were to try another pad, I'd probably get this.  But I think I'm going to just have the sheet directly over the mattress.
Reply #160 Feb 16, 2010 4:36 PM
Background (sorry, if you've already read it skip it):

60 yr old F,  5' 7", 128 lbs, side sleeper -- Fibromyalgia. Extreme pressure points in hips, (tingling, burning, numbness, pain). Currently sleeping on aTP Cloud Supreme... not really sure it's right for me. Still have 6 weeks before deciding to either exchange it for TP Rhapsody or get refund and start over. OR new option - try FloBeds and compare!

I had tried an Englander Natures Finest Latex and was in so much pain on it, I had quit the idea of latex altogether because of it (I never was able to find the exact content of that particular bed). I admit, at the time I made that decision, I was totally ignorant about different ILD's, thicknesses, customizing layers, coverings, latex actually helping with pressure points, etc.

That said, after reading all the reviews and threads here (you guys really are good!), checking FloBed's BBB rating and others, and comparing prices and refund policies with Sleepez, I've decided to call FloBeds. (Also, my son said no problem, he'll come and help with any heavy lifting. YAY!)

My checklist of disclosures/ questions include the usual:
Age, health etc. from above
Overall height of mattress
Exchange, return policy
Warranty and what voids it
Expected break in period if any
Pricing for exchanges or refund return
Type of mattress protector I can put on it - (the thing I hate about TP, choice of sleeping with only a bottom sheet, or on a thin piece of plastic backed noise) ....

... and then my mind went on overload and totally left me, (and it's way too little to be out on it's own!)  I can just picture myself on the phone going, " Hello, ah, ah, ah".

So I just finished reading this very extensive and very informative thread stated by eagle2 (kudos eagle!). Amazing info here which has answered a lot of my questions, but left me with "information overload". I will have to reread it again before I make the call and ask for "Dave".

A few things I am especially interested in more information about:
 vZone - is it complicated?
Natural vs Blended but only in regard on if you prefer a softer mattress, or is this even worthy of consideration?
Is the FloBed cover tight? With the nerves in my hips even one wrinkle under me will wake me with a burning, searing pain.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Natalie
This message was modified Feb 16, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #161 Feb 16, 2010 5:21 PM
Dear Natalie: Since you say you are 60 years old I would ask for Dave as he is closer to your age. Dewey, his son, is of course a much younger man.

Us older folks ( I am 72) need all the empathy we can get.

Dave is quite helpful and will be able to answer almost all of your questions I feel quite sure. Their cover is a very good one and does not have any wrinkles in it. But you may want your own choice of topper. I find the closer I can get to the latex the better I like it. However you do need something between you and the latex to allow for breathability, for lack of a better term.

I doubt quite seriously a bed is going to answer all of your problems. But I feel that my experience with my FloBeds has brought me to as good a solution as I am likely to find. The most important thing, as I have emphasized, again and again, is to have someone like FloBeds working for you to make sure you achieve as good a configuration as is possible to aquire. These people seem willing to go to any lengths to have a satisfied customer. To be able to talk to the individual who owns the company without any machines taking your messages and promising to call back, etc. etc. etc., in and of itself is a great relief. But to have the people who own the company, who understand these kinds of problems and a desire to help is incalculable.

I personally prefer the hundred percent natural latex. But the blended might work just as well for you, and it is less expensive. "So you payes your money and takes your choice."

And don't worry about being all tongue-tied and lacking in knowledge. That's where Dave can come in. Possibly you would like the VZone I know that's what Dave sleeps on, and many here have claimed a preference for it. I just did not want to have that many choices to try and resolve. I bought the four layer 100% natural latex mattress and exchanged four different layers to get to the most comfortable configuration for me. You will just have to do your own experimenting. But with FloBeds help you should be able to arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

PS: To read all of this thread you are going to have to go to the bottom of it and hit the "ALL" button to be able to see all of it!
This message was modified Feb 16, 2010 by eagle2
Reply #162 Feb 16, 2010 11:41 PM
Natalia,

As always, I completely agree with eagle2. Call Dave...he will help you.  You CANNOT beat FloBeds' warranty/exchange or return policy.  As eagle2 has said time and time again...they are the most lenient out there.   I do have the VZone because I have all sorts of pressure point issues and really like it.  I find it pretty easy to get the feel closer to what you need/want by being able to move these pieces around.  Still tweaking though.   I have more info posted about it in the "Please help me figure out which Flobeds to Buy thread..."  As an FYI, the cover fits really nicely and is luxurious in my opinion...with the issues you have with your nerves, you might not want to put a mattress cover on it as others have tried so there are no issues of fabric wrinkling.

Good luck. TJ

Reply #163 Feb 17, 2010 5:27 PM
Well, I did it! My new bed should be here no later than Monday. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Dewey was very nice and helpful and thanks to you all I had a list of questions, but he really answered most of them before I could ask. Which was great because I don't do phone very well, and I did do the "ah... ah... ah.." .  I went with all his recommendations except for the vZone, which we decided I could upgrade to later if needed. So my new bed is:

Natural Deluxe - Natural Talalay Latex Green Mattress
Organic Cotton & Wool Cover
Natural Talalay Latex Convolute Comfort Pad
Both sides:
Natural Talalay Latex Core-Soft
Natural Talalay Latex Core-Medium
Natural Talalay Latex Core-Firm

I told him about how informed and extremely helpful you've all been, (though I think most of you spoke with Dave who was unavailable) Dewey was glad to hear about how impressed I was about this great forum.

These large purchases always scare me, but he assured me if for any reason I didn't love the bed, I would only be out the shipping cost of sending it back, which is very reasonable. Eagle, you are so right about how reassuring it is to deal with the owners!

I do realize no bed is going to cure my fibromyalgia and all the issues it creates, but I am hoping this bed will provide some relief and comfort... without all the rules the TP demands you follow.

So, I'll have both the TP Cloud and Flobed here with over a month before the TP must go back.
Thank you all again so much!
Natalie
This message was modified Feb 17, 2010 by Natalia
Reply #164 Feb 17, 2010 5:37 PM
Natalie: You most assuredly are welcome. I felt quite confident that once you had a chance to talk to the folks at FloBeds you would find all the assurance that you needed to make an informed decision. Welcome aboard!

Keep us informed how it goes for you. You may have a question or two that someone here may be able to answer for you.
Reply #165 Feb 17, 2010 7:40 PM
Natalie,  I hope the bed works out for you!  When you receive it, please start a new thread and share your experiences with you new latex mattress.

Recent Posts