The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Oct 25, 2010 11:51 PM
Hello all, still on my hunt for a good bed.  My wife and I were originally looking at a Kingsdown Sleep to Live 800 Series (red/blue), but after reading some reviews we were a little skid dish and decided to look at a latex bed.  Now I know there are a lot of on-line companies like Sleepez and FloBeds, but buying a bed untested from an online retailer just is a little too inconvenient as we have to deal with shipping cost if we get the firmness wrong.  So we went back to my local Sleepy’s to look at what they have to offer for latex beds.  Turns our they just received the new line of Dr. Breus latex beds that same day which are made by IBC.  We tried all five models and narrowed it down to two.  As this is a brand new line of beds it is hard for me to find on-line detailed specs.  I know the salesperson tells me the bed is entirely Talalay latex, but I would like to confirm that from another source.  Does anyone have anything they can share on me these beds?  Or if there are any other recommendations of other beds we should look at?  Thanks all.

Dan

Re: The Dr. Breus Bed (Talalay Latex)
Reply #4 Nov 13, 2010 10:01 AM
As much as I would like to get an all-latex mattress, similar to what cazual said about the comfort top missing from the LatexBliss, the LatexBliss mattresses seem too firm for me.

The Dr. Breus Signature Elite feels very comfortable. I could not find any specs either, other than from the press release which states that it is made from foam with natural soy materials containing Talalay latex, how much latex is unknown. How natural this foam is, is also unknown. I found the following article, which makes me start to think that the foam is really mosty poly:

http://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/does-soy-based-foam-deliver-on-its-promise/

However, I am hesitant to purchase something custom-made from Flobeds or SleepEZ for example, unless I can physically try them out, as the comfort level may end up unsatisfactory like LatexBliss.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2010 by rocco50
Reply #5 Nov 13, 2010 12:49 PM
rocco50 wrote:

As much as I would like to get an all-latex mattress, similar to what cazual said about the comfort top missing from the LatexBliss, the LatexBliss mattresses seem too firm for me.

The Dr. Breus Signature Elite feels very comfortable. I could not find any specs either, other than from the press release which states that it is made from foam with natural soy materials containing Talalay latex, how much latex is unknown. How natural this foam is, is also unknown. I found the following article, which makes me start to think that the foam is really mosty poly:

http://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/does-soy-based-foam-deliver-on-its-promise/

However, I am hesitant to purchase something custom-made from Flobeds or SleepEZ for example, unless I can physically try them out, as the comfort level may end up unsatisfactory like LatexBliss.

Rocco50, were you able to test the Latex Bliss with either the 2 or 3 inch custom comfort top?  Also which model were you looking at?  That being said, I am with you about buying a bed on-line, although I do purchase 80% of my things on-line, a bed makes me weary of the potential hassle and expense of constant core exchanges to get the comfort level right.  However, thanks to one of the companies Phoenix suggested, Custom Sleep Design which is local to me I decided to check them out and will be heading over there today.  I spoke with the owner Bob and he seemed quite knowledgeable and his beds were quite competitively priced.  If things work out I could end up saving up to $800 over the Latex Bliss.  I will post my findings when I get back.  

Reply #6 Nov 13, 2010 1:50 PM
FWIW ... Bob used to be a vice president of Latex International. He knows his latex. :)

I also had several conversations with him and I was impressed with the way he customizes his mattresses to an individual using a type of manual zoning tailored to individual body makeup.

Regarding the Dr Breus ... while I still haven't found the specs, from the descriptions I have read I would be pretty certain that there are significant layers of poly in it. They are available at 1800mattress in case you are seriously looking at it and need a price comparison.

The soy based polyols are the least "green" of all the bio polyols that are available with castor oil being much more environmentally friendly. As the article says ... this is more about greenwashing than anything else ... even though it is a small step in the right direction.

Phoenix

Reply #7 Nov 13, 2010 3:55 PM
cazual wrote:

Rocco50, were you able to test the Latex Bliss with either the 2 or 3 inch custom comfort top?  Also which model were you looking at?  That being said, I am with you about buying a bed on-line, although I do purchase 80% of my things on-line, a bed makes me weary of the potential hassle and expense of constant core exchanges to get the comfort level right.  However, thanks to one of the companies Phoenix suggested, Custom Sleep Design which is local to me I decided to check them out and will be heading over there today.  I spoke with the owner Bob and he seemed quite knowledgeable and his beds were quite competitively priced.  If things work out I could end up saving up to $800 over the Latex Bliss.  I will post my findings when I get back.  

Cazual, I don't 100% remember the models of the LatexBliss I looked at, but I think they were the 12" and the 8". The 12" seemed more sturdier than the 8" if anything but not softer. I did try them with the custom comfort top (that 1 or 2 inch layer placed on top?) and that made the bed soft, but how is that layer assembled in the "finished" mattress product? Would it always be laying separately on top, unfastened to the rest of the layers in the mattress, inside the same mattress cover? In this case it may be too much of a messy bed. If they could somehow incorporate that layer under the cover itself, that would be a whole different story.

Unfortunately Custom Sleep Design is located two hours away so I am not sure I'll be able to make it over there..

Reply #8 Nov 13, 2010 3:58 PM
Phoenix wrote:

FWIW ... Bob used to be a vice president of Latex International. He knows his latex. :)

I also had several conversations with him and I was impressed with the way he customizes his mattresses to an individual using a type of manual zoning tailored to individual body makeup.

Regarding the Dr Breus ... while I still haven't found the specs, from the descriptions I have read I would be pretty certain that there are significant layers of poly in it. They are available at 1800mattress in case you are seriously looking at it and need a price comparison.

The soy based polyols are the least "green" of all the bio polyols that are available with castor oil being much more environmentally friendly. As the article says ... this is more about greenwashing than anything else ... even though it is a small step in the right direction.

Phoenix

I am also guessing there is a lot of poly in the Dr. Breus beds. However it did feel very comfortable. I am getting to the point of being tired of looking at mattresses, and just want to pick one :)   I may check out another local store or two, but it's becoming like a second job. 

Do you think a poly mattress is still going to be significantly better than a coil-based Sterns & Foster Deacon Ridge?

Reply #9 Nov 13, 2010 4:34 PM
I am getting to the point of being tired of looking at mattresses, and just want to pick one :)

I certainly understand that feeling :)

A couple of suggestions though to make it less tiresome ... and more "accurate".

First, I would use your experience at Sleepy's (and one or two other places) as a testing ground only. If you lay on a mattress that is too firm, then by knowing the stats of what you lay on you would be much closer to knowing what you need. This is why the latex bliss experience is helpful ... not because I would consider buying it. Make the first part of your search about knowing what fits you ... not deciding what to buy.

Second, make a list of several places that look promising and then call them first. Ask them some specific questions such as "do you have (or make) a latex mattress in the range of 9" with less than an inch of poly in the comfort layers?". If their answer is yes, ask them the brands and models to confirm that you would have some choices (more than one). You are lucky here as NYC (and probably Brooklyn too) has quite a few good places within a reasonable distance which would be well worth going to. More than most other places in the US.

If you narrow your search down to two or three places with good latex selection ... you will almost certainly end up knowing the specs of a mattress that is perfect for you. The advantage of places like this too is that they would tend to carry more reasonable options (besides just the majors) and know more about their mattresses (such as specs).

Then ... when you know the specs of what is suitable for you ... you can decide if it is worth buying that mattress (or a similar construction) locally or ordering online with the comfort of knowing that you will be pretty close to your definition of perfect.

As cumbersome as is sometimes is, if you do most of the work on the phone or internet and limit your travels to places that you know ahead of time have a range that would interest you, the whole experience will be a lot less tiring, faster, and you will end up with a lot better mattress.

The most important part of this is to resist the "words" that some places will use to try to get you to go there. If they can't or won't answer your specific questions ... forget about them. A place that isn't open about the specific construction of their mattresses when you call them will likely try to sell you based on hype and they need you in the store to do that. It's not at all likely that you will find real value there.

Phoenix

Reply #10 Nov 13, 2010 5:11 PM
Do you think a poly mattress is still going to be significantly better than a coil-based Sterns & Foster Deacon Ridge?

The Stearns and Foster IS a poly mattress (the poly mattresses that are mostly mentioned here are almost all on top of springs) and is exactly what I personally would be trying to avoid. It's only good quality is that it has decent springs which would in no way be enough for me to consider it as a viable option.

Phoenix

PS: If you meant here latex mattress (rather than poly) ... then the answer is a clear and resounding YES ... whether it is a latex comfort layer on a latex core or latex on a good innerspring core. Even a latex comfort layer on a poly core would be much preferable to me. More than 1" of poly in the comfort layers (like the SF) is for me the most important thing to avoid in any mattress ... and even an inch is questionable given the choices that are out there.

This message was modified Nov 13, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #11 Nov 13, 2010 5:35 PM
Just to add to my last post ... if someone really wanted a poly mattress, then I would suggest going to a local manufacturer (or an outlet that sells them) who will help you choose innersprings and types of poly that would be much more suitable for you and your specific needs at a much lower cost. I would even use my "lay on bed research" to find out what I liked and then phone a manufacturer who was not local who could "duplicate" that specific model at a much lower cost. Even here I would consider this to be a "throw away" meaning that I would "trade" knowing that it will not likely keep it's qualities that long in exchange for a really low price ... knowing I would have to replace it much sooner than other types of construction.

Phoenix

Reply #12 Nov 13, 2010 6:27 PM
Phoenix wrote:

The Stearns and Foster IS a poly mattress (the poly mattresses that are mostly mentioned here are almost all on top of springs) and is exactly what I personally would be trying to avoid. It's only good quality is that it has decent springs which would in no way be enough for me to consider it as a viable option.

Phoenix

PS: If you meant here latex mattress (rather than poly) ... then the answer is a clear and resounding YES ... whether it is a latex comfort layer on a latex core or latex on a good innerspring core. Even a latex comfort layer on a poly core would be much preferable to me. More than 1" of poly in the comfort layers (like the SF) is for me the most important thing to avoid in any mattress ... and even an inch is questionable given the choices that are out there.

I probably should have specified:  The Dr. Breus mattress (calling it the poly mattress) vs. the Stearns & Foster Deacon Ridge.

Although I am not sure if it is accurate to call the Dr. Breus mattress a poly mattress?

What I am thinking is that if I go with an innerspring mattress, then Stearns & Foster is the way to go, and the S&F Deacon Ridge has that SmartLatex layer on top, not sure if it has the poly in it?

I've looked at the videos from FloBeds, and while it is tempting to order an all-latex mattress over the internet, and I know the layers can be swapped, I still have a hard time pulling the plug without first checking it out in person. I'd love to go with the LatexBliss, but unless they can get that soft topper inside of the mattress cover, I am not sure I want the firmness of that one. So that leaves the Dr. Breus for its comfort...? :)

Reply #13 Nov 13, 2010 7:01 PM
They BOTH represent poor value IMO and would BOTH be considered poly mattresses (the SF certainly and the Breus almost certainly). The only difference between them is what is under the poly which is far less of an issue. 3/4" of "smart latex" doesn't qualify a mattress as being latex.

I would rather buy a similar mattress for half the cost from a manufacturer or outlet that was honest about what was in it and throw it away in a few years than buy either of them. It would be just as comfortable and supportive in the near term as either of them. You have more alternatives than just a do it yourself latex mattress and IMO you are probably paying too much attention to WHAT to buy before you are clear about WHY to buy it. This is probably the biggest reason that people end up dissatisfied with what they buy (unless they get really lucky) and perhaps the biggest reason for this forum.

Having said all that ... It's your money :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 13, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts