Looking for "case" for latex mattress - knit w/cotton+wool padding
Oct 22, 2007 5:56 PM
I'm looking for a Cal King case for our yet-to-be-purchased latex layers.  The case should be of "knit" fabric - that is, stretchy, maybe velour or terry.  A lot of the cases that come with the sets are woven, not stretchy, like satin.  Also, I'd like it to be a little padded with wool and cotton.  Foamorder.com is selling a most-comfortable one which I saw in the store, but it's quite pricey at $600 - yes, this is JUST the case, granted it's organic and all-American.   So I'm looking for a similar alternative, doesn't need to be organic.  Any leads would be appreciated!
Re: Looking for "case" for latex mattress - knit w/cotton+wool padding
Reply #3 Oct 24, 2007 10:33 AM
Foam Nerd
In that case you will find one the covers being sold on eBay for $35 a satisfactory solution. They come in 8", 10", and 12" depths, and are stretchy enough to handle anything "up to" those dimensions. I have one of the 8" covers and it's loose around a 5.6" core, but would be an awfully tight squeeze with 8" of foam inside.

Some of the foam mattresses I have seen don't even come with a full cover, but just one that slips over the top like a fitted sheet.
This message was modified Oct 24, 2007 by haysdb
Reply #4 Oct 24, 2007 12:29 PM
Foamorder has a knit organic one - this is the one I like.  I don't think they list it separately, but you can find it on the right panel as extras to buy if you put a latex mattress in your shopping cart.

Anyway, maybe I should go with a $35 cheapie, and add a pad on top.  I'd like some sort of light padding on top.  And I'm ok if it just lays there, not sewn into the case.  Does anyone know of this type of pad that I can lay on top?  Ideally, lightly padded with wool. 

FYI, the reason I don't like the quilted pads/cases is that I feel it really takes away from the whole latex feel.  Yes, the mattress feels and looks more like a conventional mattress.  But I can't feel the pressure point properties as much, which is one of the big reasons I want latex.  Also, the guy at the store insisted I should have some type of padding or protection for the mattress because if water hits it, there'd be some serious damage. 

Reply #5 Oct 24, 2007 2:06 PM
suz312 wrote:
the guy at the store insisted I should have some type of padding or protection for the mattress because if water hits it, there'd be some serious damage. 

Based on this manufacturing process description, water damage to talalay latex would not appear to be a serious threat.

"Upon completion of the molding process, the latex foam is placed on a conveyor belt and put through a large washer to rinse and remove soap residue and improve product durability. LFI puts each of its products through a five wash/squeeze cycle process, unique in the industry."

This wool fleece pad style may or may not be suitable for your criteria.

Reply #6 Oct 24, 2007 3:47 PM
Foam Nerd
suz312 wrote:
Foamorder has a knit organic one - this is the one I like.  I don't think they list it separately, but you can find it on the right panel as extras to buy if you put a latex mattress in your shopping cart.

Anyway, maybe I should go with a $35 cheapie, and add a pad on top.  I'd like some sort of light padding on top.  And I'm ok if it just lays there, not sewn into the case.  Does anyone know of this type of pad that I can lay on top?  Ideally, lightly padded with wool. 

FYI, the reason I don't like the quilted pads/cases is that I feel it really takes away from the whole latex feel.  Yes, the mattress feels and looks more like a conventional mattress.  But I can't feel the pressure point properties as much, which is one of the big reasons I want latex.  Also, the guy at the store insisted I should have some type of padding or protection for the mattress because if water hits it, there'd be some serious damage. 

Diamond Quilted case from FoamOrder. $350 for a king. They occasionally have one on their clearance page for less. It's Urethane foam quilted in the cover.

Reply #7 Oct 24, 2007 6:10 PM
Which eBay seller(s) have people tried for the cheap route?  Do any of them have tops that zip off so they can be washed without removing the layers?  Should we oversize the thickness to avoid drum head or trampoline effect, or is the material very stretchy?

Thanks in advance.

Reply #8 Oct 25, 2007 8:59 AM
Thanks haysdb.  I ended up ordering from this eBay store:

Memory Foam Products

I think someone recommended them in the old forum.

I ordered a pillow from memoryfoam.com when I realized they were closing out their latex inventory.  This was back in the beginning of October.  I have yet to see the pillow, but my credit card was charged long ago.  They do not respond to my emails.  So if anyone orders from that store, beware.  I plan to call their 1-800 number and find out what is going on, and possibly have the credit card company dispute the payment with them.  Too bad the new owners of memoryfoam.com are running the business in to the ground.

Reply #9 Oct 25, 2007 9:22 AM
I just got off the phone with memoryfoam.com  They said that that my order has not shipped and they have no estimate for when it will ship (ordered 10/3/2007).  I then told them that they would have to remove the charges from my credit card.  He said they would have to cancel my order to do so.  I decided that was the best option.

Be careful if you try to order from them......

Reply #10 Oct 26, 2007 5:38 AM
Jim-- I've heard so many bad things about the "new" memoryfoam.com. They've really trashed the fine reputation the company built on this forum when it was affiliated with Mark's Half-Price Bedding.

I was under the impression it was illegal to charge a customer's card more than one week prior to actually shipping the item. I wouldn't trust them to credit your account. Give it a week and check your account activity to make sure they do it. If you don't see the credit, call your card carrier and dispute the charge. You have 90 days from the time the card was charged to do this.

Someone should report this outfit to the state Attorney General's office for shady business practices.

Reply #11 Oct 26, 2007 5:48 PM
Foam Nerd
Suz312, if you have not, check your messages. I sent you some information that would be inappropriate for me to post on the open forum.

FloBeds is switching to organic cotton and wool mattress covers and are clearing out their current inventory. I seized the opportunity to hit up Dewey with a request to buy one of his "old" stretch knit covers ala carte, something he would not normally be inclined to do. Apparently my timing was good because he agreed to sell me a "demo" cover that had either been used on the floor or was returned under their 90-day comfort guarantee. He assured me that they have such covers professionally cleaned.

This might be the way to buy a cover because they can't sell these "used" covers with a new mattress, so what else can they do with them but sell them as demos? I have only seen one company with a "clearance" page, so you just have to call and ask.

Reply #12 Oct 27, 2007 9:23 AM
cloud9,

I checked with my credit card company and memoryfoam.com did not credit my card, so I put the charge on dispute.  It is amazing that these jokers are still in business.  Mark's reputation carried them this far, but it won't last forever.

haysdb,

Let us know what you think of your demo cover from FloBeds.

Recent Posts