want to build my own bed. where can I buy a coil system in a box?
May 15, 2010 9:19 AM
I am finding that the materials for a beckley  and other handmades are not very expensive, and I would like to construct my own bed using wool batting, latex and a cuddle bed to top it. I need to find a high support pocket coil system in a box and some natural form of fire retardant. I know that several of you have done mattress surgery. Hoping you have some suggestions, as I do not trust the coil systems in the commercial mattresses and cannot get info on them in any case. wondering if leggett and platt would sell it to me retail. any ideas? thanks
Re: want to build my own bed. where can I buy a coil system in a box?
Reply #21 May 26, 2010 3:57 PM
Thanks Budgy, I will make it much larger than 60x80 than.  Did you know how wide and thick the batting is?  Is it always the same everywhere?  I am going to go to the upholstery supply shop and take a look sometime.  1/2 hour away, so I just wanted to do the math first.

It could bunch up and be a mess in the wash if it is not really quilted well wouldn't it?  May be a huge project the more I think about it.

Do they sell wool batting anywhere?  I know the upholstery shop locally here has only cotton.  The reason I would want wool over cotton is dust mites and cotton, versus wool and no dust mites (according to legend) LOL.

Reply #22 May 26, 2010 4:11 PM
well the cotton might actually be better for this than generic wool as it is washable.  most wool is not going to take to washing well.

ive never actually bought cotton batting before, i would imagine whoever sells it would have to know the specs on it, width, and how thick it is or they measure it in GSM or oz per yd.

Reply #23 May 26, 2010 4:59 PM
Thanks Budgy!  I love the upholstery shop, all the fabrics, and foams, guess I am a do it yourself person anyway.  I don't have much to lose trying the cotton batting and quilting.
Reply #24 May 26, 2010 6:39 PM
Hey Jim,

http://www.ehow.com/how_5016168_make-tufts-upholstery.html

If you have a basic understanding of sewing you can perhaps decipher this.  Although because of the thickness involved you will have to adjust your own measurements and I would recommend using a stronger thread than standard cotton yarn.  You will probably want to use linen yarn if you can get it.  And you need a strong and long threading needle to make this kind of work a lot easier on the hands.

EDITED: better link to read

This message was modified May 26, 2010 by budgy
Reply #25 May 26, 2010 8:13 PM
budgy, many thanks for your assistance on this. the cotton batting in the shifman was layered with each layer about one half inch. It looks like your second photo, of cotton batting. so that is what they are using. I have read online reviews from people who have had their shifmans and hastens compress pretty badly. and those are cotton and wool. so I see what you mean about this being a tricky venture. their "remedy" is to put the mattress on the floor and stomp on it, and they say that puts the cotton and wool back into balance. sounds like the same maintenance as a feather bed, which was also used as a mattress in the past.   hope I don't botch this, so I am very grateful for your advice. 
This message was modified May 26, 2010 by olenska
Reply #26 Aug 23, 2010 2:44 PM
Just saw this post...the cotton batting I've seen used in beds is the second picture...and there is plenty of it, inches and inches, tho I did not measure.

First springs, then insulator layer(s)...wire mesh/burlap, the cotton, then foam...usually glued I think...

Kait

Recent Posts