need scientific objective test method
Jul 29, 2012 4:27 PM
I'm in a dispute with a mattress store. I was sold an inferior quality mattress the was described as a Sealy Posturpedic Firm Eurotop and the the same without the Eurotop. Both are equally bad and offer no support for a back that needs support. My credit card company tells me my only recourse now is to find an independent or 3rd party who can test the mattress to prove that it does not meet the requirements to be labeled as "firm". I do not want an exchange because everything I tried in the store was uncomfortable. I agreed to settle on the Sealy because the salespeople told me I should sleep on it for at least several weeks or more to really evaluate it. After two night might back was so damaged I have to go for therapy. I know this mattress is not at all supportive, but I have to prove it to get my money back. How can I get it tested for firmness or support? I'm not concerned at this point with a test for long term durability, just an objective test to show that it is not as advertised.
Re: need scientific objective test method
Reply #1 Jul 30, 2012 1:10 AM
There is no objective scientific test that will show you what you want to see.

When it comes to scientific and numerical data you have a sliding scale.  If firmness is described as a number, than no matter how high or low on the 'firmness' scale it has a level of firmness.  It is your subjective opinion that it is not firm enough for yourself. 

Reply #2 Jul 30, 2012 2:44 AM
There must be a method to test because there is a firmness rating called ILD that is listed by many different manufacturers and retailers.  I think it involves placing a plate of a certain diameter and weight on the mattress and measuring the deflection. I was also told by a salesperson when I first tried the mattress in the store that I could have someone come out to my house to test the deflection of the mattress multiple times if at any time during the warranty period, I felt that the mattress was sagging to much. Later, after purchase, others in the store told me that was not something they do. I just don't know where I can get this done, or exactly how'd I'd do it if I wanted to do it myself.
Reply #3 Jul 30, 2012 3:08 AM
ILD/IDF do measure compression, mainly in latex and memory foam matresses. But the problem you are going to run into is that there is no standard for what is soft/medium/firm, so you are really fighting a losing battle. If it makes you feel any better I have a Sealy Posturpedic Plush Euro Pillowtop and I have never gotten a good nights sleep out of it without a layer of memory foam on top.
Reply #4 Jul 30, 2012 8:06 AM
Good luck pal.... been there with an I-Comfort Serta that was supposed to be the greatest for my problems too.. also that store had nothing of the same value for me to do a comfort exchange on.. without losing many dollars as they didn't refund if you went lower.. but they charged if you went higher.. the mattress stores are always a win win for them.... I ate the 3000 I spent and put the monster in my guest room..did that before I would give them back their high priced worthless mattress for another worthless piece they had in their store.. I have a new bed now but still not finding the comfort zone I need.. but I will never ever spend that much money on a mattress in my life again.. As far as a test for what you want, I doubt you will find any rep that will tell you it is inferior or will go your end to get your money back.. few places will refund..  even if you got  lawyer.. which talk about cost there, the Sealy people are so big you still could never prove your point.. ..Best of luck..
Reply #5 Jul 30, 2012 10:24 AM
Recently a friend of mine hired a cleaning company for a home she was renting out. She said they did a terrible job and wanted to cancel the credit card charge. The CC company told her - as you were told - to get an impartial person to check out the home and give an opinion. I did this and wrote a letter for the CC company saying I agreed with my that the job was totally unacceptable. She got the charge cancelled.

If this is what YOUR CC company wants, then I would try the same thing and ask a friend or co-worker to come test out the bed and write a note detailing obvious defects such as premature sagging, etc. It's certainly worth a try and might work since as has been mentioned, there are no experts or scientific tests to prove what you say. The CC company doesn't care that much. They just need something in their records to cover their a$$es.

Reply #6 Jul 30, 2012 1:39 PM
Do you have your receipt..?  you need to look at Store policy to see if you even have a leg to stand on because even though you used Credit.. if you signed that paper you agreed to their terms.. plus didn't you have a time limit for a comfort return?  well you probably did but there was nothing to choose from, which was what I ran into..so you might just well be up a creek with NO paddle..  There was no place on my papers that if I didn't like it I could get a refund.. just a replacement of lesser or higher value.. and no money exchanged if I chose a lesser priced mattress.. just me paying higher to them.. however I was  pretty much at the max in price on my mattress so finding a replacement was really hard.  I was already on a returned mattress after 1 and a half years, so my stores policy was they gave you a 30 day comfort exchange.. and even though I bought a Serta that had a 120 day return policy, it was void through this store..and the reason I was at that store in the first place was I had to return to the store I purchased the defective mattress at to begin with.. so Serta didn't stand for anything regarding their mattress.. I called and talked to 3 different reps.. and they all told me I had to deal with the store....I was dead in the water at that time..they got me good...
Reply #7 Jul 31, 2012 1:26 AM
DIYJoel wrote:

ILD/IDF do measure compression, mainly in latex and memory foam matresses. But the problem you are going to run into is that there is no standard for what is soft/medium/firm, so you are really fighting a losing battle. If it makes you feel any better I have a Sealy Posturpedic Plush Euro Pillowtop and I have never gotten a good nights sleep out of it without a layer of memory foam on top.

Precisely what I am trying to say.  ILD gives us one way to measure 'firmness' in essence and assign a numerical value.  But what we label as soft/medium/firm is based on subjectivity. Science can tell you one bed is firmer than another, but not what the cut of point should be. If we left it based on this it would be like saying a 19 ILD Foam is soft, but a 20 is medium...in reality there is a barely discernable difference.

Reply #8 Aug 13, 2012 2:48 PM
The mattress offers no support for YOUR back. That is not to say it doesn't offer support for ANY back. If the mattress sags past the 1.5" point it is defective and you can sue if the company refuses to honor the warranty. If the retailer offers a comfort exchange, you should use it. If they refuse to honor it and you were given it in writing, you can sue. If they do not offer an exchange or refund policy, with all respect and sensitivity, you selected the wrong retailer to purchase from.

Recent Posts