cheap mattress
Jun 2, 2009 4:03 PM
I am looking at purchasing a cheap mattress to use for a couple of years. We had brought an expensive latex and could not sleep on it. We traded it in for a Sealy (the only other brand the place carried). It has been o.k. to sleep on but has indentions where we sleep. We are looking to sell our house and the stager has recommended we use a queen instead of the king. We were planning on buying a really nice organic queen mattress in a few years anyway, but cannot afford it now. So, we thought about buying a cheaper queen to use in the interim. Thoughts on a decent one for a few hundred. The one below is a $300 set at a small furniture store near buy. Thoughts as to how many springs or what I should look for?? I really do not want one that does not flip and has a pillow top but it seems to be all we can find. We do not want anything with a lot of foam or latex. Not sure if they even make anything like this when looking at something that costs so little.  We also have a membership at BJ's, not sure if they have anything that would work.
Manufacturer: Corsicana
Description: The Casa Series of Corsicana, Elena is a perfect value for the quality. Available in twin, full, queen and king sizes. Features includes 460 VertiCoil Innerspring Unit, No Turn Pillow Top Design, Cover Flanged to Prevent Slipping of Materials, 1 12 Ultra Soft Quilt with FR Fiber, 1 Comfort Foam, 1 Support Foam, Deluxe Continental Foundation, and 5 Year Warranty.
Re: cheap mattress
Reply #5 Jun 7, 2009 9:38 AM
Zzzzzzzspleaze wrote:
I'm going to recommend the Slumber 1 iCoil Mattress-In-A-Box from Wal-Mart. It's surprisingly way better than my old Sealy Posturpedic was when brand-new. The "iCoil" technology is supposed to be a new innovation that allows the coils to follow the curves of your anatomy, providing extra/less support where needed -- effectively keeping your spine perfectly aligned while you sleep. My experience, having slept on it for a few nights, is that it does what it promises. I can feel it pushing up against my lumbar region while allowing my hips to sink into the mattress just enough to keep my spine in place. To put it bluntly, I'm impressed! I never would've expected to find an intelligent mattress at Wal-Mart, but there you have it.

A side note: They also carry Slumber 1's Smart Base, which is an inexpensive tubular steel frame that replaces box springs. Works great with my mattress!

The queen mattress is $249.84. Don't listen to the slick sales pitches for "mattress sets"; you don't need box springs.

The question is, how long will such a mattress last? I'm a little skeptical because the price is so low but I'll consider getting it.

What other options are there for inexpensive mattresses?
Reply #6 Jun 7, 2009 7:39 PM
inquisitive wrote:
The question is, how long will such a mattress last? I'm a little skeptical because the price is so low but I'll consider getting it.<BR><BR>What other options are there for inexpensive mattresses?

Good question. I forgot to mention that it's a one-sided mattress, so its life-span is going to be considerably brief when compared to a traditional flippable mattress. After sleeping on it for a couple of weeks, I've decided that the iCoil springs and my back just aren't that compatible (I have a lower back injury), and so I've sold it to a family member who isn't nearly as particular as I am about mattresses.

The only other thing I could recommend is checking out the Original Mattress Factory.
Reply #7 Jun 17, 2009 12:13 PM
IME, it isn't the feeling of the mattress pushing back into your lower back that counts, it is the holding your heavier parts up so you are aligned and supported.  Logically, if the springs push into your lower back, they are also giving a lot for your rear end...may mean they are pretty soft.
Steel price has gone way up these last few years, may be dropping now but not sure.  A good set of springs is HEAVY and has a lot of steel.  It also costs some bucks.  So, if your mattress is really light and inexpensive, there cannot be very much heavy gauge steel in the springs inside.   That's really the backbone of a spring mattress.
I'm rather enjoying the mattress A Better Bed in Fresno made for me.  Made the old fashioned way, with heavy gauge coil springs, a boxspring with heavy springs, padded with cotton batting over an insulator layer in the mattress, and my choice of foam on top(how much and what kind).  My only mistake(mine, not theirs)was not getting the "duvet" type mattress top where I can zip it open and change out the foam.  I opted for some P/U foam which I've had a love-hate relationship with...we're okay now with a cuddlebed topper for my side...tho my hubby is extremely happy with it as is.  I'm just a weird build(wide shoulders, heavy hips, narrow ribcage...) I guess.  Anyway, Bill has offered to change the bed so I can mix up my foam, just have not bothered to do it yet.  The mattress itself is completely wonderful, even with the foam that isn't a perfect match for me, I am sleeping better than I have in forever.  The springs are really great.
I also found out that some of my back issues have been from a tight muscle across my rear and down my outside leg.  I had a masseuse work on it and it helped tremendously...also stretch it at home.  How to check for this...sit indian style, then take one foot and put it on the outside of the opposite thigh, then pull the knee toward your chest.  If you feel a pull across your gluteus and down the outside of your leg...then that muscle is tight and can cause low back pain.  That stretch is wonderful and doing it helps ease my low back tension.
Kait
Reply #8 Aug 10, 2009 1:50 PM
Does anyone know the density of the PU foam in the icoil mattress? I was tempted by the no-motion aspect and the price, but i can't imagine it'll last very long!

Recent Posts