Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Sep 5, 2012 1:04 AM
Hello folks.  I did a bunch of research around here months back but kind of put it off until now as we had to find a place to live to actually use the matress.  

From what I have gathered I realized I was over my head when it comes to beds.  Ive had two beds for most of my life, they were both pretty horrible and my current matress bows horribly in the middle.  This of course causes back pain for the fiance and myself.  Thus durability and longevity is very important.  Im willing to spend decent money on a latex if I know I won't have to replace it in 5-10 years and it wont be bowed and deformed. 

I believe I want 100% Talalay blended latex.  That seems to have a semi consensus as far as value and holding up over the years, and returning to form faster than memory foam after movement.  We also want a King size, eastern as well.  The fiance isn't too particular about layout or layers, she doesn't believe so at least, as she can pretty much sleep anywhere.  I am a pretty big guy, 6'3 265.  She is about 5'7, 125.   I sleep mostly on my back and some on my side in recent years, mainly because my bed is so bad.  This has helped ease up the back pain.  We live in West Michigan and I seem to have little luck when it comes to matress vendors around here knowing much about latex, nor being able to find some for me to test out something similar at least.

I do know about foambymail and sleepez and have read various reviews about them and threads here. 

So I have some questions:

1.  Am I making the right choice as far as composition, 100% talalay latex?  Do I want a bottom layer/firmer layer of dunlop? 

2.  What kind for firmness, ILD, setups should I get?  The firm, medium, soft seems to be mentioned a lot but I am not sure how to find out if a soft top layer is "too soft".  Nor do I know how specific I should get at each layer.

3.  Where is the best value?  Am I going to have to go FBM?  SleepEZ?  Should there be anything local that should be comperable?  Maybe something I can at least test out?

4.  Do most covers, say at FMB or SleepEZ, fit any size/build?  Outside of a cover (wool seems to be the go-to) is it a no-no to put anything else on top of it?  Does it affect breathability and or negate the benefits of the latex?  Do sheets go below a cover or on top of it? 

5.  We will also need a foundation, slats seem to be the recommendation, best price/value on that?  Will any slatted foundation still sit just fine inside of a bed frame set that we may get down the road?  I am not sure how all that works out.  Right now I just have a matress, bed spring, and that sits on a metal frame. 

6.  I am also worried about temperature.  I like to go to sleep "cooler" and put on sheets/blankets as I warm up.  Will latex be too warm?  Will a wool cover will that not be an issue?

7.  Can I expect 10-20 years out of this?  I see some of these places have 20 year warranties (SleepEZ).  What does that entail?  Just workmanship and defects?  Does it entail wear and tear?  Divots or bows in the latex in time?  Is that even a worry with latex?

Thanks for any help guys.  The most I have ever spent on a bed was like $400, so this is a major upheaval in my train of thought but I really want a good investment that is comfortable for the future for the fiance and I when we move in together.

This message was modified Sep 5, 2012 by JSK23
Re: Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Reply #2 Sep 5, 2012 8:02 PM
1.  The break down was what I thought I picked up here as well, though dunlop generally seemed a bit firmer according to most people and could be a substitue for a cheaper core option.

2.  Any other options than Pure Latex Bliss?  The nearest retailer to me is about an hour and a half away.  If I must, we could maybe hit it up, but if another vendor has a similiar option that would be prefered. 

3.  Are sleepez and FBM pretty much the only reasonable online options? Are there other online vendors that are comparable?

4.  The covers at either place, are they universal?  Will they fit regardless of the depth of the latex we go with?  Outside of a wool cover, do we need any other kind of matress protection/protector?

5.  So if I went with the nomad bed, like $200 on amazon, I wouldn't need the orthopedic foundation seen here correct?  http://www.sleepez.com/foundations.htm  I didn't really like how that wasn't raised up anyhow.  The nomad is spaced appropriately for latex, and wouldn't negatively affect it?  I can just put the latext mattress directly on that?

6.  Sounds good!

7.  The latex breaking down and sagging would definitely be my biggest concern.  I will drop them a line and get some details on that.

Ill consider a custom side thing, but it almost seems like more work than may be necessary.  But maybe she and I, being on crappy beds all our lives, dont really "get" those minimal differences.  Hopefully testing something in person will help her get a vibe for what she may like and if she needs something specific. 

I appreciate the advice, you have been a great help.

This message was modified Sep 5, 2012 by JSK23
Re: Think we are going Latex, recommendations for our size? Vendors? Builds? Where to test them out?
Reply #3 Sep 6, 2012 3:41 AM
1. A good dunlop and a good talalay are the same price from what I have seen, so as far as savings wise I wouldn't choose dunlop. Dunlop does have a firmer feel than talalay.

2. I am sure there are, but that is the one brand that is anywhere close to me, also about 1.5 hours, so that is why I mentioned it. Feel free to search and there actually may be an independent mattress manufacturer in your area who could help you, but you would have to search.

3. SleepEZ to me is a good option because their beds use Latex International latex which is high quality and safety tested. Their prices are along the lines of what it would cost to build your own mattress using Latex International latex and buying a cover. They also allow you to swap out layers or even return the bed for a $99 flat rate. To me all this adds up to the best online value for a latex mattress. FBM latex and foams have been known to be different than what was ordered, so I sometimes worry about the safety of them. Also having FBM latex and Latex International latex in hand, the quality of LI latex is quite noticeable. I am sure there are other online retailers, but none that I have found that are much cheaper than SleepEZ and you can't beat the customer service from them.

4. You need whatever you feel you need. A cover will keep your latex together and a proper cover will protect the mattress from light and other things that can deteriorate latex. The covers come in different depths, so however thick your mattress is you will need to order a cover for that depth. FBM has 3" and 8" "velour" covers and the Amazon ones come in 3" increments, I believe 6", 9" and 12". SleepEZ 4 way stretch comes in 7", 9", 10" and 13". I have always put a waterproof breathable mattress protector on my mattresses just in case the dog or kid throws up or spills something on the bed. To me it is cheap insurance.

5. Correct, people have used the Nomad bed with latex mattresses alone with no ill effects. Latex should be on a slatted base with closely spaced slats, so the Nomad is perfect and requires nothing else.

The custom side thing will depend on which route you take. If you go FBM then it is more work, if you go SleepEZ then it's no difference than getting a regular mattress. I suggest you guys find the closest place with latex beds and really give them a try and see what you like. Another reason I mentioned Pure Latex Bliss mattresses is because it is easy to find the breakdown and ILDs of the specific models online. For such a large investment the 1.5 hour drive is worth it.

I recently started having problems waking up sore. I am 31 and have a Sealy Posturepedic that is only a few years old. I did a lot of research and thought the DIY method was for me. I wanted to build a memory foam mattress, but I could only afford the topper, so I bought that and put it on my mattress and it works great for now. I want to add some PU foam support layers and ditch the Sealy altogether. If that gets me buy I am going to hold off on a latex setup. But in look at latex setups I again wanted to go DIY to save cash. I started looking and even 9" of latex from FBM is going to run you around $900 (for a queen). I figure if I am spending that kind of money I may as well go all out and go with the SleepEZ setup where I know the latex is safe and I have that ability to swap out layers if something ends up not being what I like.

Another option is the Ultimate Dreams mattress sold on Amazon. It is only I believe 2.5-3" of latex over foam but it has gotten great reviews and is very budget friendly. I decided against it because I would like to have a full latex mattress.

Reply #4 Sep 6, 2012 10:48 AM
>>1.  Am I making the right choice as far as composition, 100% talalay latex?  Do I want a bottom layer/firmer layer of dunlop?

I figure Talalay is a quality choice from a US manufacturer for a typical build.  Dunlop can be more dense, so an experienced builder with sources might choose a Dunlop core suitable for your build.  But then you will probably need a different side for the other much lighter sleeper.  It can get complicated.  The DIY should probably stick with Talalay and split cores for each side.  You might also want to figure it out but then hire a mattress shop to help you make it happen... suggest the final build and source quality components.

>>2.  What kind for firmness, ILD, setups should I get?  The firm, medium, soft seems to be mentioned a lot but I am not sure how to find out if a soft top layer is "too soft".  Nor do I know how specific I should get at each layer.

I only have experience from one build documented here, so my suggestion for 3x3" would be:

6'3, 265:  44, 40/44, 28
5'7, 125:  44, 32/36, 28/24

The and/or means I'm not sure.

A mattress shop with more experience can comment further.  You will need core support to prevent sagging at the hips; she will need much less firmness to allow her shoulders and hips to plunge for comfortable side sleeping.

>>3.  Where is the best value?  Am I going to have to go FBM?  SleepEZ?  Should there be anything local that should be comperable?  Maybe something I can at least test out?

Once I decided on all Talalay Blended from LI in a functional cover, I simply shopped the suggested online retailers here.

>>4.  Do most covers, say at FMB or SleepEZ, fit any size/build?  Outside of a cover (wool seems to be the go-to) is it a no-no to put anything else on top of it?  Does it affect breathability and or negate the benefits of the latex?  Do sheets go below a cover or on top of it?

The cover should be zippered on three sides.  Wool and Bamboo seem to be good materials for ventilation.  It should contain the Latex but remain loose and more thin than thick to allow the Latex to contour freely to your body shape.  You will want to put the usual pad on top and then your fitted sheet.... but know that each can further impede ventilation and Latex contouring, so be selective where you can.

Some use a very simple cover like a stretchy velour... good for contouring but little ventilation at the body interface, so you would probably add a good wool pad vs. a cheaper polyester-filled pad.

Anything else you add will affect ventilation, contouring, and cost.  Keep it simple.

>>5.  We will also need a foundation, slats seem to be the recommendation, best price/value on that?  Will any slatted foundation still sit just fine inside of a bed frame set that we may get down the road?  I am not sure how all that works out.  Right now I just have a matress, bed spring, and that sits on a metal frame.

Latex should sit on a flat, solid, strong platform that can ventilate from below.  You can evaluate your new mattress on the floor to know what you have, but then you need to get it up for air flow... or else keep your room on the cool side.  This can present a problem when introducing Latex to an existing bedframe.  Existing box springs will probably not be solid enough, and removing them presents a height problem... replacing them with boxed slats is one solution.  Existing frame springs will not be solid enough, and covering them may require structural and ventilation considerations.

I looked around and decided to build a 60x80" queen platform on 6 legs that sits 18" high (28" with mattress) and has a 14hx49w" side clearance below for storage.  The deck is 12 1x6 slats with ~1.25" gaps.  It cost about $400 and it's beautiful, but it was not easy to design and build for strength and function.  And it may get covered with an 18" drop bedskirt.

>>6.  I am also worried about temperature.  I like to go to sleep "cooler" and put on sheets/blankets as I warm up.  Will latex be too warm?  Will a wool cover will that not be an issue?

Latex warms up but the mold pinholes in Talalay allow it to breath, to push air in and out.  And, the thin layer of Wool and Bamboo in the mattress cover is critical for ventilating body heat and moisture.  Get such a cover and use a platform that ventilates to manage the usual body temperature issue.

>>7.  Can I expect 10-20 years out of this?  I see some of these places have 20 year warranties (SleepEZ).  What does that entail?  Just workmanship and defects?  Does it entail wear and tear?  Divots or bows in the latex in time?  Is that even a worry with latex?

A Latex mattress is foam rubber in a sack... not much to go wrong.  The biggest concern is physical damage... Latex foam rubber needs to be handled gently, but it is generally invulnerable to damage once laying flat in the cover.  LI warrantees 100% Natural for 10 years; Blended for 20 years.  Poorly processed Latex might degrade prematurely, but otherwise seems to last a long time... long enough to make it worth buying for bedding use, imo.

I would buy known quality, handle it carefully, and not worry about it.

GK

This message was modified Sep 8, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #5 Sep 6, 2012 10:35 PM
1&2.  Alright, Ill talk to the sleepez this week probably, after I get a chance to get out and text a couple of latex bliss beds.  Ill see what they recommend for a split as well.

3.  Ill check those etailers as well, see how competitive they are on price.

4.  You mention pad, what exactly are you referring to here?  A matress pad on top of the latex?  I just assumed I should go latex, wool cover and then sheet.  No?  What about a spill/stain proof cover?  Unnecessary? 

5.  I am not handy enought o build my own, so the Nomad recommended by Joel seems like a good solution unless the fiance becomes picky about the bed set down the road.  We can sell it and adapt at that time I guess.

6.  Definitely will.  The wool cover seems almost universally recommended by everyone. 

7.  20 years sounds pretty nice vs what I have dealt with bed-wise in the past. 

Reply #6 Sep 7, 2012 9:39 AM
>>4.  You mention pad, what exactly are you referring to here?  A matress pad on top of the latex?  I just assumed I should go latex, wool cover and then sheet.  No?  What about a spill/stain proof cover?  Unnecessary? 

The Latex layers are contained in a zippered mattress cover... woven with Bamboo and quilted with wool for strength, ventilation and moisture management.

A traditional mattress might get another thin zippered 'dust' cover/protector with a micro weave to keep the creepy crawlies in or out, but another sack would further interfere with the Latex contouring and may not be necessary since Latex is suppose to be less susceptible to mites, etc. and such allergens.  So I would skip this protection... it would be a real struggle to slip onto a 150lb. Latex mattress.

Then most folks put a pad on under the fitted sheet to protect the more permanent/unwashable mattress cover, to catch minor 'spills', and to add more quilted ventilation and moisture management for comfort (natural fiber fill like Wool works better than synthetic fibers, but costs more and may not be worth it vs. a cheaper/more available synthetic fiber-filled pad... assuming there is already quilted wool in the mattress cover).  Some folks want to make this pad completely waterproof to 'protect the mattress'.  I suppose if you need waterproof, get it, but such a membrane barrier may further impede contouring, ventilation and moisture management.

>>6.  Definitely will.  The wool cover seems almost universally recommended by everyone.

Wool is an amazing fiber.  Laying on it feels cooler and less damp than laying on synthetic fill.

>>7.  20 years sounds pretty nice vs what I have dealt with bed-wise in the past.

Given today's mattress industry, it's worth a shot to find out.

GK

This message was modified Sep 7, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #7 Sep 27, 2012 8:42 PM
Looks like in the next week or so we will be placing the order, just around the time we move in to the new place.  We still haven't layed on any latex at all, so that will be tackled this saturday to make sure we like, even though what we test out probably won't be 100% talalay.

The sleepez guys recommended a Extra firm/Firm/Medium for my side and a Firm/Medium/Soft for her side. 

I will probably go with the Nomad frame and the wool cover from sleepez.  Just trying to decide on a good choice when it comes to a pad, probably something synthetic and washable, reasonably price, that isn't too thick to where it will take away from the latex experience.  So if there are recomendations there, let me know please.

Ill keep you guys posted when we order and when it shows up, probably do some pictures too.

@ JSK23 and GKDesigns
Reply #8 Nov 3, 2012 2:20 AM
Hi, Guys.

Forgive me if I'm hijacking your thread, but I need your help.

My wife and I inherited a Leggett and Platt Prodigy adjustable split-king bed and I want to buy a 4-layer SleepEZ Talalay blended split Cal-King mattress to go with the bed.

We sampled Talalay blended layers at a local retailer but decided to purchase from SleepEZ after learning the retailer's price was much higher (and they wouldn't budge on the price). 

I'm 5'9", 160 lbs. (slim), a back & side sleeper and sometimes wake with lower back pain (an issue I think is due to our current hybrid latex/foam Costco mattress). I prefer a medium mattress and dream of the perfect ILD mix that will provide the idea support for my height and weight. I was ok with 3" ILD layers of 40, 36, 32 and 28, but I could go with a tad softer top layer.

My wife is 5'8", 188 lbs., a back & side sleeper and has no back/sleep issues.  She prefers a medium-soft mattress, but doesn't want to sink into it. She was ok with 3" ILD layers of 36, 32, 32, 28, but she could go with a tad softer top layer.  

@ JSK23:

Can you give an update on your SleepEZ mattress purchase?  Did it meet your expectations? Did you pick a specific ILD (44, 40, 38, 36, 32, etc.) or did you choose between the four listed on their site: Ex-Firm (44 ILD?), Firm (40 ILD?), Medium (30 ILD?) and Soft (20 ILD?)?

I plan on calling SleepEZ to learn if they supply Talalay blended latex in all the normal ILD ratings, but if you know the answer, please share.

@ GKDesigns:

Can you please answer the following questions?

1. Is it safe to use a 4-layered latex mattress on an adjustable bed?  I'm worried the latex will tear or wear faster than normal. 

2. A dealer stated I should place each layer in its own "sock cover" before placing them in the mattress cover.  Is this necessary (either with an adjustable bed or flat foundation)?

3. Based on my description above, what ILD ratings (per layer) would you suggest we start with (my side and my wife's side)?  Suppose SleepEZ only does the Ex-Firm, Firm, Medium and Soft as typed above? What would you suggest then?

4. We're not sure about the seam down the middle of the two mattresses.  We may ask SleepEZ to make a separate, single "cover" from the mattress fabric and lay it over both mattresses in an attempt to mask the seam. Have you heard of this? Do you think the extra layer on top might be bad for ventilation, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Re: @ JSK23 and GKDesigns
Reply #9 Nov 3, 2012 12:44 PM
Dawgneck wrote:

Hi, Guys.

Forgive me if I'm hijacking your thread, but I need your help.

My wife and I inherited a Leggett and Platt Prodigy adjustable split-king bed and I want to buy a 4-layer SleepEZ Talalay blended split Cal-King mattress to go with the bed.

We sampled Talalay blended layers at a local retailer but decided to purchase from SleepEZ after learning the retailer's price was much higher (and they wouldn't budge on the price). 

I'm 5'9", 160 lbs. (slim), a back & side sleeper and sometimes wake with lower back pain (an issue I think is due to our current hybrid latex/foam Costco mattress). I prefer a medium mattress and dream of the perfect ILD mix that will provide the idea support for my height and weight. I was ok with 3" ILD layers of 40, 36, 32 and 28, but I could go with a tad softer top layer.

My wife is 5'8", 188 lbs., a back & side sleeper and has no back/sleep issues.  She prefers a medium-soft mattress, but doesn't want to sink into it. She was ok with 3" ILD layers of 36, 32, 32, 28, but she could go with a tad softer top layer.  

@ JSK23:

Can you give an update on your SleepEZ mattress purchase?  Did it meet your expectations? Did you pick a specific ILD (44, 40, 38, 36, 32, etc.) or did you choose between the four listed on their site: Ex-Firm (44 ILD?), Firm (40 ILD?), Medium (30 ILD?) and Soft (20 ILD?)?

I plan on calling SleepEZ to learn if they supply Talalay blended latex in all the normal ILD ratings, but if you know the answer, please share.

@ GKDesigns:

Can you please answer the following questions?

1. Is it safe to use a 4-layered latex mattress on an adjustable bed?  I'm worried the latex will tear or wear faster than normal. 

2. A dealer stated I should place each layer in its own "sock cover" before placing them in the mattress cover.  Is this necessary (either with an adjustable bed or flat foundation)?

3. Based on my description above, what ILD ratings (per layer) would you suggest we start with (my side and my wife's side)?  Suppose SleepEZ only does the Ex-Firm, Firm, Medium and Soft as typed above? What would you suggest then?

4. We're not sure about the seam down the middle of the two mattresses.  We may ask SleepEZ to make a separate, single "cover" from the mattress fabric and lay it over both mattresses in an attempt to mask the seam. Have you heard of this? Do you think the extra layer on top might be bad for ventilation, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

1.  I have no experience with adjustable beds.  I folded a 3" Queen 40/44 ILD Talalay to double it up and it did tear/separate significantly at the fold under stress.  I repaired it with 3M FoamFast 74 spray adheasive.  Conclusion:  The firmer the Latex, the more likely it will burst apart under such folding stress.  An adjustable bed may not push it to such extremes, but sitting/moving on a significant bend may increase wear and tear.

2.  No individual layer cover is required for use with a flat foundation.  Might change the Latex behavior and/or introduce undesired slip.  Perhaps such slip covers would help manage layer-on-layer stress in an adjustable bed application, particulalry with severe adjustments, or maybe it would be counter productive by permitting the layers to separate and not behave as one.  Also, 12" of Latex may be too much for an adjustable application.

3.  At this point, I would recommend using the 36 and 40/44 to build the 6" core for support.  Then add the comfort layers... not too deep and not too soft or else it will sag.  With a 12" mattress and a 6" core, the top 6" cannot be all comfort without risking sink and sag.  Your current layers 40-36-32-28 are likely firm for you... the 28 feels soft to one hand but it's firm on the body/face and it reaches down to more firmness.  That 32 layer helps extend the core and avoid too much comfort depth.  But you are missing softness on top.

You might be ok pushing the 28 down and using 24 or less on top.  Using just 3" layers can present its own difficulty when trying to craft the comfort layers, not too soft, not too deep.

I hesitate to mess with your wife's core 36-32-32-28, although the core layers seem to trend less firm.  I'd be tempted to make it at least 36-36.  Her comfort layers probably present the same lack of softness as your formula due to the 28 on top.  Like your side, an adjustment on top is required, but I hesitate to guess what that should be.  If you make that adjustment in a 3" increment, her softer core layers below may become less supportive.

Given a 4-layer build, going xf-f-m-s seems reasonable, particularly xf on bottom and s on top.  But I hesitate to give unqualified advice.  I'm still discovering this subject.

4.  Seems to me that a split adjustable bed is destined to have two separate mattresses on it.  Else, one mattress and equal adjustments.  Given a CA King at 72x84", buying bedding could be more difficult if fully split, or just a more expensive nuisance at CA King size.

Consider whether or not you have inherited something worth keeping.  The 84" is not critical for your heights; the 72" is less generous than the 76" of a King; and if you do not use the adjustable function...  Being the devil's advocate here.

GK

Reply #10 Nov 3, 2012 1:05 PM
Thank you very much, GKDesigns!

1.  The bed movement and bends are not extreme so I think we'll be ok. Hopefully the 40 ILD base will be ok.

2.  Since SleepEZ doesn't offer socks and you don't detect a big concern, we'll go sockless. The Prodigy is rated to lift 600 lbs per side (in addition to the mattress weight) so, as long as the 4-layered mattress is able to bend correctly (I think it will), we should be fine.

3.  I appreciate your advise on the ILD ratings.  We'll start off with your base suggestions and 24 on the top layer.  We have 30 days to exchange any layer and I think starting off with 24 on top will be fine.

4. Our current mattress/bed/frame setup, as well as the bedding, is Cal King so we're stuck with it (especially the bed head/foot and side rails, which is an expensive Cal-King designer set).  The two Prodigy base units can be programmed to move in tandum or independant of each other, so we can purchase a single Cal-King mattress or two XL singles.  My wife likes to cuddle and doesn't want to feel the seam, so I'll cave in and go with a single mattress cover w/split cores inside.

Actually, we expect to use the adjustable bed daily.  We have a 60" Plasma in the bedroom that we watch and we read and use our laptops & tablets in bed.  We'll use the adjustable bed a lot!

Thanks again for your insight. We're about to pull the trigger!

Dawgneck.

This message was modified Nov 3, 2012 by Dawgneck
Follow-up Question for GK
Reply #11 Nov 10, 2012 6:02 PM

Hi, GK.

Sorry for the long post, but there have been some updates I’d like to share and get your opinion on.  

We set up the LP Prodigy dual Cal King adjustable bed yesterday, paired them to move in tandem then placed our existing 12" Latex/PolyFoam combo mattress on top.  We learned the following:

1.  Thank God the Prodigy Cal King bed came in two pieces!  The units are heavy and were difficult to maneuver through our narrow hall and into our existing bed frame. A single adjustable Cal King bed would’ve been impossible to work with.  I’m glad LP split this size into two smaller pieces.

2.  The Prodigy works great!  The massage unit is strong, penetrates our 12" mattress easily and provides great vibration at the medium setting. We like the alarm but doubt we’ll use the iPad option, and we’re hesitant to wake each other with the snore option.  Over-all, the Prodigy is really nice!  

3. We like the Cal King 1-piece mattress and will stick with the tandem setup.  Tandem movement was easy to program. We were informed the system would only recognize ONE remote when set to move in tandem, thus making the second remote useless.  This IS NOT true.  Tandem movement can be controlled by BOTH remotes.  

4.  You stated a 12" mattress might be too thick for an adjustable bed and we agree. While the Prodigy easily lifts the 12" mattress and our weight, our 12" mattress doesn't conform to the adjustable bed well. This is likely due to the stiffer polyfoam in the mattress.  SleepEZ feels a 9" mattress is better for our weight (my wife is 5'8" and 188 lbs. and I'm 5'9" and 160 lbs.).  They also feel 4 layered mattresses are better for people over 300 lbs.

5. Lastly, my wife and I watched each other over the last few nights and confirmed we’re side sleepers. I will sleep on my back if I’m experiencing back issues, but I sleep on my side otherwise; and wake on my side in either case.

Based on the information you and SleepEZ provided, we've decided to buy a 9”, 3-layer LI Talalay blended SleepEZ 10000 mattress split down the middle to accommodate differing layers, instead of the four-layer SleepEZ 13000 model. It’s been a while since we tested the 9” configurations, and I’m no longer sure about our preferences.

When we last tested them, my wife preferred a 3” 36 ILD bottom core, a 3” 32 ILD middle core, a 1.5” 32 ILD core over this, topped with a final 1.5” layer @ 28 ILD.  She believed she could even replace the top 1.5” 28 ILD with a 1.5” 24 ILD. 

I preferred a 3” 40 ILD bottom core, a 3” 36 ILD middle core, a 1.5” 32 ILD core over this, topped with a final 1.5” layer @ 28 ILD.  At the time I felt I could replace the top 1.5” 28 ILD with a 1.5” 24 ILD but, as I stated above, it’s been a while since we tested those configurations and I’m no longer sure. 

SleepEZ said they don’t order 1.5” cores from LI. They sell 2” cores from Radium, their #1 Latex seller. They only buy 3” LI latex cores in these ranges: Soft from22 to 24 ILD, Medium from 30 to 33 ILD, Firm from 35 to 40 ILD and Extra Firm is 44 ILD.  When they order latex from LI, they simply order 20 softs, 20 mediums…etc.  They don’t order specific ILDs. They can hand pick latex to our range, but cannot promise specifics.

GK, all the information you provided previously was based on a 4-layer choice. Now that we’ve settled on a 3-layer mattress, what are your thoughts on the following?

1.     Based on SleepEZ’s core range described above, what should we go with on my wife’s side (again, she’s 5’8” and 188 lbs., a side sleeper who prefers a softer top layer) and my side (5’9”, 160 lbs., a side sleeper looking for the best match to help recurring lower back problems)?

2.     This morning, the SleepEZ rep suggested Firm, Med, Soft for me and Firm, Med, Med for my wife.  He believes this to be the case even though my wife likes her top softer than mine and our current mattress (rated plush) is too firm for her. We could be wrong about what’s best for her weight/mattress combo, but I’m sure my wife will balk at the idea her top layer is firmer than mine, especially after our initial testing. Do you agree she should go with med-med-firm? What is your rationale either way?

3.     Do you think our choice to go with a 9” mattress over the 12” is the best choice?

4.     Lastly, in light of the growing number of companies that only sell and/or suggest 100% natural Talalay latex (FoamSweetFoam, et al), and our recent discussion in the other thread, has any of this recent information changed your opinion that blended Talalay latex is better than 100% natural Talalay latex?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

This message was modified Nov 13, 2012 by Dawgneck

Recent Posts