My back hurts & I'm still ISO a non-sag mattress!
Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM
What is going on with the manufacture of mattresses?  I've been through several mattresses over the past 3 years (several "Serta Firm" mattresses each of which began sagging after a few weeks; currently have a Sleep By Numbers: oy vay--do not go there - what a waste of money!).  I'm average weight.  So why can't I find a mattress that will feel as good/firm as a hotel mattress?  Do I have to pay $5,000 for a good, firm (and will stay firm) mattress?  I've heard enough about latex, Temperpedic, etc to know that I'd be hot-flashing all the time trying to sleep on them so I'm not going there.  I've heard about Royal-something (royalpedic??)...are they good/firm mattresses?  This is so frustrating and I'm disgusted that I'm having such a bad time trying to find a truly firm mattress.  Why is it so difficult to find a firm mattress that will stay firm for at least a few years?
Re: My back hurts & I'm still ISO a non-sag mattress!
Reply #7 Nov 6, 2013 10:24 PM
I tore a disk in my back in 2008. My back never has healed to what it was. I go through mattresses like some people go through shoes. Tried every type.

Select Comfort (setting at a max. of 100% still way too soft), The firmest Temper Pedic made (got maybe a week of good sleep from it untill it started to sag).

A traditional inner spring Stearns and Foster (hard to find now), that was not all that firm and it did not take long before it started to sag.

My last bed that I gave away was a Sterns and Foster 100% latex foam bed. Again might have got 2 weeks out of it before it too started to sag. Ouch.

The one I am on now is some sort of hybrid. Part foam part inner spring. It is a Simmons. It also sags in the middle. This can't be rocket science or

brain surgery. I kept the foundation from the Temper as it is essentially a wooden platform box that does not give any. Ok so now I am looking

for an old dorm room type stuffed mattress that would essentially be one step up from sleeping on the floor. I slep well on one in college.

So far no luck. I hope all the 20 - 30 somethings that have designed these things have back problems when they get old. Then maybe they

will rethink what they are doing.

Re: My back hurts & I'm still ISO a non-sag mattress!
Reply #8 Nov 13, 2013 10:04 AM
The firmest bed I have seen is the Savvy Rest Simplicity. It is 3 inches of coconut coir with 3 inches of Dunlop latex on top. If something like that doesnt work get an all cotton Futon Mattress which is very inexpesive but be prepared it will not last as long. 

Recent Posts