Latex over coil mattress question
Jun 2, 2012 3:54 PM
I am in the market for a king sized hybrid mattress (latex over pocket coil) w/minimal poly foam. Not much in my area but I did travel to a place that had a Green Sleep Saluna Mattress. It has a 3 " latex topper on a firmish pocket spring mattress. It was a great feeling bed. Unfortunately the price was way out of my range.  However, I am toying with the idea of creating a bed that is close to that feel. A local company Jamestown mattress will make me a custom mattress. I am toying with the idea of quoting me it 2 ways. One with the latex top / pocket coil and one with just a barebones pocket coil mattress and I purchase the top separately.  Will see which way is more cost effective.

I am, however, having a hard time finding the specs on the Green Sleep Saluna bed.  If anyone knows where I could find these or how to find them, that would be great. One web site did mention the 3" topper was all natural dunlop and judging by the feel of the topper I would say it was in the soft to medium range though I would bet soft.  The pocket springs were pretty firm and resulted in a medium firm feel overall.  Could not locate specs on the spring system either.

Anyone have any other options for me? Maybe a competitor that is less expensive? Latex over pocket coil.

Thanks!

Re: Latex over coil mattress question
Reply #11 Jun 5, 2012 1:14 PM
Sounds good :) 

But yeah they probably do not know the exact ILD, Dunlop usually just is measured in density, the density they keep constant and the ILD will vary slightly depending on the natural variations in the rubber itself by a couple points.  Probably mid 20's for 65 density rubber. 

Reply #12 Jun 5, 2012 4:35 PM
I did find a web site that sells a Green Sleep all latex bed. They do show ILD ratings :

Density: Available in soft (ILD equals 22-25), medium (ILD equals 32-35) and firm core (ILD equals 38-42).

Here is the link :

I emailed that info to Green Sleep and got this reply :

Interesting! I guess he found a way to convert the density to the ILD! The only way we were told in Malaysia to have the firmness is the density! So then it would be the 22-25 for the soft rubber.

Reply #13 Jun 7, 2012 12:13 PM
So, I checked out a Shifman Mattress and was impressed by the quality and level of firmness and am now considering one of them and just adding a 3" latex topper for the comfort layer.  A couple reasons this may be a better option than the Jamestown Custom Build :

1) The Shifman is a 2-sided mattress and known for its longevity so "should" last longer.

2) Believe it or not, buying a low (less padding/heavy gauge Bonnel spring) to mid level Shifman (double the padding/heavy steel hi-profile double offset unit) and adding a 500 dollar 3" high quality topper is less expensive overall.

The one upside (maybe?) to the Jamestown is it uses a zoned pocket coil system. However, in reading about zoned systems and such, I get the feeling for some people zoning is not needed and could actually raise issues. For me, I don't believe I need such a thing considering that I am sleeping on an old, rather cheap pocket spring mattress now and other than the annoying sagging in the middle, does not cause me any issues.

Thoughts?
Reply #14 Jun 8, 2012 4:16 PM
Not sure the cost on the Shifman but I would look at a bed called the Sprout Firmus.  Its made in Edmonton out of all natural materials, it is 2 sided like the Shifman and hand tufted, but with pocket coils.  Zoned 800 count, not sure the guage, but I reckon relatively thick, its a pretty beefy mattress.  That with a seperate latex topper would probably do what you want too. If your goal is to get something really good quality but less expensive than the Green Sleep this would be a good option. 

Recent Posts