FoamByMail (MattressByMail)
Mar 21, 2012 12:19 AM
Has anyone used FoamByMail? I'm thinking of getting a memory foam mattress, or latex mattress (I probably won't spend the money.) I like the prices, but I'm scared the foam is from China and could be toxic, and/or breakdown in three years.  I'd really like to know others' experiences when buying from FoamByMail.

I am a side-sleeper and I weigh 170 lbs. I like something cushy, but firm-- not so soft that my hips sink too low and throw my back out of wack. If I decide to get latex, I'm leaning towards combining two toppers. I could combine 3" of 20 ILD (soft) and 3" of 32 ILD (medium.)  Or maybe a medium 6" latex 29 ILD.

But I've been leaning towards memory foam. Is the memory foam at FoamByMail good? I'm leaning towards the 3" -- 5LB Memory on a base of 5" HD36-High Quality. To that I MIGHT add 2" of 4LB memory.  LAYERS: 2"-4LB // 3"-5LB // 5" HD36.

Any thoughts?

Re: FoamByMail (MattressByMail)
Reply #1 Apr 8, 2012 10:52 AM

I've used FBM for latex and would say the it's higher quality than is sometimes acknowledged here (inexpensive just can't be good) European sourced and somewhat firmer than Latex International (for example, the 20 ILD "soft" from FBM feels like a 28 ILD in the LI product.) 

The latex makes an excellent support layer but you'll want something softer for your comfort layer—I finished mine with a 3" LI Rejuvenite talalay topper 19 ILD from Daddy's Goodnight Sleep Gallery Ebay store for $369 (you have to specify "plush" when you order for the 19 ILD.)

If your preference is for memory foam (cushy but firm) I would go with 3" of 5 lbs visco foam over 5" of HD36-HQ.  If you order it as a "mattress" instead of two separate "toppers" they will glue the memory foam to the base foam.  This is a relatively inexpensive mattress that you can spiff up later with a nicer cover (get the $20 terrycloth from FBM for starters) and it's 90 percent of what Tempurpedic is doing for a lot less.

Recent Posts