Bedsheets, Comforters & things
Mar 4, 2008 2:12 PM
I'm not a guru by far when it comes down to these things but we have some pretty smart people on this board....
I have some time before my mattress comes in and started looking into sheets. comforters, etc and came across the following post which some of you may or may not fine helpful....

Just curious any particular brands you guys recommend..

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Don't judge a sheet by the thread count number!

You first need to understand what creates the softest hand, the finest drape, the most lustrous finish, and the world's most luxurious linens , you must consider more than just thread count , which is a measure of the number of yarns woven into one square inch of fabric. Thread count is important, but it is only one part of the story. The quality of a sheet is determined by three other key components as well, but it all starts with the quality of the fiber itself, and the yarn made from it.

The Quality of the Yarn

The world's finest cotton is grown on the banks of the Nile River in Egypt. There, as the river recedes, it leaves a particularly fertile swath that nourishes the very best cotton. Egyptian cotton is renowned because it yields the longest-staple cotton in the world (the staple being the individual cotton fiber or "hair"). While others may claim their sheets are Egyptian Cotton , the luxury linen companies are directly involved in the creation of their sheets every step of the way, allowing them to hand-select only the very best cotton from the Nile River valley. Once they ensure the superiority of the cotton, they have the raw fiber cleaned and spun into smooth, silken yarns by their master craftsmen in Italy.

The quality of the yarn is largely a function of the length of the staple, or cotton fiber. This is because long-staple cotton can be spun into a smoother, stronger, much finer yarn, so that it is possible to weave more threads per inch into the fabric, resulting in a higher thread count.

Certainly, many inferior, short-staple cotton yarns can be jammed into a square inch to create a high thread count, but the resulting fabric can feel heavy and coarse, never comparable to the luxury linens like Sferra or Frette .

The Construction

In Italy they are known for enlisting the world's finest spinners, weavers, sewers, embroiderers and artisans to craft their extraordinary linens.

Thanks to generations of experience and expertise, in Italy they understand yarns the way a vintner understands grapes: what type and fineness of yarn to choose for each weave, and how to fine-tune each technical factor, from the number of picks sent through the shuttle to the diameter of the yarn, to create the desired hand: chamois-soft or crisp percale, silken sateen, lustrous jacquard. They build relationships with the best mills who blend centuries-old history and knowledge of their craft with cutting-edge textile technologies, looms and facilities. How they create the world's finest cotton percales, sateens and jacquards are trade secrets, and we are the beneficiaries.

The Finishing

After the world's finest cotton has been selected, spun and woven into cloth of the very best quality, the process doesn't stop there. The attention to detail continues into the fabric finishing and sewing can also dramatically affect the feel and the quality of the final product.

Most all of Italian Luxury cotton sheets are mercerized - a process that helps plump the fibers, giving the fabric greater luster and strength - some linen companies don't Sanforize their sheets (a process designed to help reduce shrinkage), preferring instead to cut their fabrics generously to allow for shrinkage.

The state-of-the-art finishing brings out the subtle sheen of a sateen, the softest nap of cotton, the richest, longest-lasting colors and enhances both the feel of the fabric and the quality of the weave. The fabric does not leave the mills unless it is as unblemished, smooth and sleek as possible, and unless it has achieved exacting standards and impeccable quality.

They offer several collections where the embroidery is done entirely by hand, whether it be subtle hemstitching, scalloping, or intricate embroidery. This allows for an attention to detail and a special grace that machine-sewn items will never emulate.

The end result of all this care and attention, every step of the way, is a difference you can feel, in sheets that are woven with the luxury of fine heirlooms. But don't take our word for it: feel a Sferra or Frette sheet for yourself.. Trust your hand, because nothing feels better than getting into bed at night nestled in the world's most luxurious linens.

THREAD COUNT is the most important place to start. Thread count is the number of threads per square inch of fabric. Assuming you are looking for the softest and most durable sheet, the higher thread count will always be the best. Look for it to be at least 200 or higher.

FABRIC CONTENT is the next item. We offer a wide range of cotton/polyester blends and 100% cotton sheets. There are different grades of cotton, which is determined by the length of its staple or fiber. The longer the staple, the more luxurious and durable the grade of cotton.

There are two levels above the basic grade of cotton: EGYPTIAN cotton is the highest quality, providing the softest, most luxurious fabric and feel. SUPIMA is a long, consistent staple cotton produced in the U.S., which is very soft and durable.

100% cotton sheets will be the softest and most breathable, as they are an all natural fiber. The benefit of a cotton/polyester blend is that they will not wrinkle as much and are more moderately priced. However, polyester sheets will not breathe or absorb moisture as well as all cotton. 100% cotton will always be the most comfortable choice, and if you take them out of the dryer promptly and either fold them or put them on the bed, they will not be as wrinkled as you think.

Another important feature to look for in sheets is the weave. A standard weave is alternating one stitch over, one stitch under.

Other weaves include:
SATEEN: (Not to be confused with satin). This has a stitch of four over, one under, placing the most threads on the surface, making it extremely soft, though slightly less durable than other weaves.
PINPOINT: This is a stitch of two over and one under. This is more durable than a regular weave, but not as soft as sateen.

When selecting your sheets, consider buying at least one quality solid sheet set to coordinate with your print bedding and other accessories.

THE TRUTH ABOUT SHEETS THREAD COUNT, FIBER AND PLY FOR EGYPTIAN COTTON SHEETS, DUVET COVER SETS & BEDDING
LEARN WHY YOUR " 1000TC" SHEET SET OR DUVET SET IS REALLY 250TC
What is the Best Thread Count and Why Don't my Egyptian Cotton Sheets or Sheet Set feel as soft as the Thread Count listed on the package? Thread Count is the number of threads per square inch in the woven fabric of your Egyptian Cotton or Pure Cotton Bedding most commonly used for Sheet Sets, Duvet Sets and other specialty Bedding made for the U.S. Bed Sizes of King, California King, Queen, Full and Twin. Are Highest Thread Counts really the best when choosing a new Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set? These are questions most companies simply don't want you to know or ask. Thread Count, and its determination, is actually one of the biggest and most confusing issues today for consumers. While Consumer Reports has done an excellent job of monitoring Bedding products and trends, certain specifics have remained unanswered.

Did you know Egyptian Cotton Sheet Set and Duvet Sets imports from other countries don't necessarily meet or uphold the same Thread Count standards as the U.S.? Are you aware that many either Falsify Thread Counts or intentionally Mislead Consumers as to the actual Thread Count of their Egyptian Cotton Bedding and products? Did you know that there is in fact a vast difference in how manufacturers are determining Thread Count for Egyptian Cotton and Pure Cotton Sheets, Duvets and Bedding? Manufacturers from many countries such as Egypt, China, Portugal, India and others are standardly using 2-ply or multiple-ply threads up to 4-ply, claiming the Thread Count of their Egyptian Cotton Sheets and Duvets to be double to quadruple what we consider to be the true value in the U.S. And, while this may seem trivial on the surface level, the impact is substantial in the quality of product you're receiving. Rather than using one single-ply, Long Yarn Egyptian Cotton or Pure Cotton fiber of excellence, the cheapest fibers are instead twisted together to create a longer "thread."

You may even be surprised to learn that nearly all sets from other countries, and a significant number of domestic sets from smaller domestic "mills" utilize this practice in their manufacturing. This is the reason that a multitude of supposedly "high thread count" sets have appeared at such extremely low prices-the manufacturing cost involved is very low, based on the inexpensive fibers and poor-quality manufacturing. Why do manufacturers utilize these methods, and why is there such an increase in Inflated or even False Thread Counts for Egyptian Cotton Sheets and Cotton Bedding? The answer is quite simple: it all amounts to lower production costs.

So what does this mean to you as a consumer? For starters, it means that your new set you thought was , say, "1000" TC is most likely truly only 250TC to 500TC. Worse yet, it will most likely feel and wear like lesser quality than a domestic 180TC set. "But why?," you will probably want to know. "you just said the lowest true thread count my new set could be is 250TC-so is must be better than a standard 180TC set." Well, we're sorry to say but that's unfortunately not the case, and here's why: in addition to the actual thread count, other key components include quality of manufacture and also length and quality of the actual fiber.

Twisting causes a compromised base resulting in weaker weave, a rougher surface and far less longevity. Most large or national manufacturers use single yarns and, although the thread counts typically stay in the 180-250 range, the single-ply threads used are going to last longer than two threads twisted or tied together. Even though the actual thread count may be lower, use of single yarns typically means that your set is going to have a far superior feel and last much longer.

Odds are high that you, yourself, have purchased a multiple-ply import set, like most in the U.S. So how can these sets affect you, and is it really that bad? "I can buy 3 or 4 sets for the price of one," you might say, "isn't that better than investing in one set." It is very true that you can purchase several cheaper sets rather than investing in a good set. Unfortunately, what most consumers don't realize at the time is that frequent set replacement usually turns into loss by year's end.

An excellent set is designed to last years, while cheaper sets are usually worn through in less than 365. And, if you have any similarities to our customers we speak with daily, you've probably replaced set after set, thinking each time that you're upgrading with what you believe to be a higher thread count than your previous purchase. You may even be baffled as to why your recently-purchased set seemed to last such a short period of time, or why it began to pill after two washings. In fact, if you're like many of our new customers, this may well be the reason you're shopping for new linens right this minute.

Egyptian Cotton is the most superior of the Cottons, the most expensive, and currently the most popular for use in Sheet Sets and Duvets. There are however different grades and lengths, and the term Egyptian Cotton on packaging can be misleading. Until recently, use of Egyptian Cotton in bedding such as Sheet Sets, Duvet Cover Sets, Comforters and Coverlets has been extremely rare due to the expensive nature of the fibers. More recently, however, much of the bedding industry has been inundated with items marked Egyptian Cotton. Manufacturers have found a way around expense, by utilizing discard grade or short yarns.

Because of this, bedding made of Egyptian Cotton no longer means that you’re necessarily purchasing a top-quality item. In fact, the majority of sheet sets are now made with Egyptian Cotton, with the bulk of which are junk. Nearly all the sets you’ll find are made of extremely short fibers. Fiber length is crucial in determining the quality and longevity of your new sheets, but a difficult factor to decipher as a consumer. These short fibers cause roughnesss, pilling or have surface balling, and result in extremely poor wear.

So how do you know the fiber length of the Egyptian Cotton sheet set or duvet set you’re purchasing? Fiber length is not typically marked or notated on the package, at least not in terms of a numerical notation. Rarely, some manufacturers will specify that their product is Long-Yarn, at least providing the consumer some insight as to fiber length.

Unfortunately this is a tricky area, as "Long Yarn" means simply that the fibers used are not only longer than the norm of short fibers but the longest yarns available.

A good starting point of ruling out short fiber sets is to review the package or speak with the manufacturer about ply. Any reference to the product containing a multiple ply, such as 2-ply or 4-ply, is your immediate tip-off that the item you are reviewing is usually comprised of shorter fibers.

Because ply involves twisting threads together in order to create a long fiber, you’ll logically know that the necessity of fibers being twisted together to create length means that the fibers used are fairly short.

Review the package or text carefully, as this notation can be buried in the fine print. Look for any notation that states 2-ply, which means 2 fibers have been twisted together, or 4-ply, meaning 4 fibers have been twisted together. This information is not always hidden. Some manufacturers, in fact, boldly place it in clear view on the package. With knowledge that most consumers are unaware of what ply actually refers to, some manufacturers attempt to insinuate that "bigger is better," hoping consumers will be impressed by larger numbers. Knowing full well that there is confusion surrounding the term of ply, some manufacturers believe consumers will be impressed by the bold listing of this number in phrases such as "this sheet set is woven of 4-ply yarns." Consumers in the know realize that this actually means that the 1000TC Sheet Set they're reviewing is only 250TC. For manufacturers that do state their bedding products as Long-Yarn, test their knowledge wherever possible. To review, Long-Yarn is a relative term and refers only to the yarns used being longer than short yarns.

Whenever possible, talk with the manufacturer or company to inquire about fiber length.

Few manufacturers will be familiar with this information but those who are are generally capable of providing a far better bedding product. If the manufacturer is not familiar with fiber length or ply, you can be assured that the product you are receiving is most likely standard one, not amongst the top tier.

Re: Bedsheets, Comforters & things
Reply #9 Mar 7, 2008 9:04 PM
When I was in the market for sheets, I went to JCPenney and felt the sheets and found out that the 450 Eqyption Cotton Sheets felt so much softer and silker than the 800 thread count sheets that were not of Egyption Cotton. They were the same price on sale so I finally decided to get th softer one and stop worrying about thread count.  I also have 300 thread count sheets from FloBeds that  are very soft and I like lying on them also.  I can never sleep on anything less than 300 thread count since to me it appears rough. Surprisingly the FloBed sheets are so soft and nice. All my sheets now are an ivory/cream color so I can mix and match them.  I will no longer have dark color sheets like my deep purple ones since hot water fades them and then the set does not look like a matching set.  I once bought 1200 thread count lavender sheets but they felt like flannel to me and I was not that crazy about them except when it was very cold outside and before I bought my down comforter with the Matalesse Cotton Duvet Cover.
Reply #10 Mar 10, 2008 6:01 AM
jimsocal wrote:
I discovered years ago that my body does not tolerate polyester, at all. I can't wear it. So I've been wearing 100% cotton for all my adult life.

It used to be that when I bought "100% cotton" it was always good quality soft cotton that I could wear without it bothering my skin.
But starting a few years ago, I began to notice that some 100% cotton did not feel like 100% cotton and I couldn't tolerate wearing it.

Now I have to touch all the cotton shirts and pants I buy very carefully in order to determine if I can wear it or not, even when it's 100% cotton.

My theory on this is that with the opening up of the "world market" - clothing made from all over the world, and from cotton from any number of countries, there is a lot more variable in quality. And surely the manufacturers know that many people prefer to buy 100% cotton but in order to save a buck or two they buy cheap, crappy cotton.

I think nearly EVERYthing used to be made better than it is nowadays! Like when my wife goes to the store looking at shoes and she hsa to sort through all the shoes and look very very carefully to tell the difference between real leather and fake leather becuase, like me with cotton on my body, she can't wear fake leather on her feet.

Welcome to the "3rd World"-ization of the United States. Things used to be so much simpler.

Jim, you sound like me. I touch everything, and all cotton is not created equal. The chemical finish applied to fabrics plays a part in this too. That's why I wash everything before I wear it or sleep on it. 

A lot of cheap cotton is made with short fibers twisted together to make a single thread. Sometimes this is evident just by looking at the material closely. You can actually see a fuzzy appearance. Often you can feel it when you run your hand over it.

I feel for your wife. Finding leather shoes isn't that difficult. Finding leather shoes that don't have an inner lining of vinyl is a lot harder unless you are spending upwards of $200 on a pair of shoes. I remember 20 years ago it wasn't that difficult--or expensive-- to buy a pair of shoes made of soft, comfortable leather--inside and out. Now anything reasonably priced is made of hard, stiff leather and even more uncomfortable and irritating vinyl linings.

But then it's not so surprising to find ourselves stuck with the "3rd worldizatiion" of consumer goods in the U.S. Look at the labels. Everything is made in China.

BeddyBye, check out cotton sateen (not satin) sheets. These sheets have a really soft hand and a faint sheen to them. I find they sleep cooler at higher thread counts than other kinds of cotton sheets. I love them in the summer because they always feel cool and refreshing.

Reply #11 Mar 10, 2008 11:16 AM
Cloud9, I also wash everything before I wear it (clothes) or sleep on it (bedding) since I am so sensitive to chemicals.

I hardly have any voice today and I am sicker but have to push myself to work. My bed at least felt better last night sleeping on the 1" topper over the 39 ILD over the 44 ILD over the 45 ILD. My shoulders wish it was softer but my lower back still wishes it was firmer.  Amazing herniated disks can cause all this discomfort. I wish I was not hit from behind in my car in August.  But I will try this set up. 

Some of my sheets are holding up well from so many washings and others that were great at the beginning are not holding up well. I still love the JCPenney 450 (think that was the thread count) Egyption Cotton sheets. I also love their Sateen sheets.

Reply #12 Mar 10, 2008 2:35 PM
Oh, yes, I buy a lot of the sateen. And the ones with sateen 'stripes' in the fabric. I have those type on now as a matter of fact. I love how they feel so slippery smooth, but cozy at the same time.

cloud9 wrote:
<BeddyBye,</strong> check out cotton sateen (not satin) sheets. These sheets have a really soft hand and a faint sheen to them. I find they sleep cooler at higher thread counts than other kinds of cotton sheets. I love them in the summer because they always feel cool and refreshing.
Reply #13 Mar 12, 2008 8:53 PM
Thank you Cloud for caring about my cold. Yesterday was a wasteful doctor's appointment that did not diagnose me correctly and the medicine I bought was a waste of my money. Today I went to a specialist (Speciality:  Otolaryngology) since I was getting worst and sneezing and coughing all day and feeling terrible that I knoew the prior doctor had to be wrong.  I have a nose and ear infection that makes me sound like I have bronchitis with all the coughing and yellow phlem. I started Zithromax and prescription cough medicine as well as ear and nose drops when I got back at 7 PM so hopefully I will feel well enough to help others tomorrow night.  I am so tired and have so much work to do but I am trying to do what I can before making sure I am in bed early tonight.

Thanks for the information about the toppers. I am still amazed that I am sleeping on a 1" topper over a 39 ILD over two 44 ILD's for someone not quite 5 feet. So far I am very comfortable with this set-up on my side of the bed but wish my lower back had a little less cushion.  Amazing what herniated disks can do to change the firmness preference.  Before the car accident I was comfortable with the 44 ILD on the bottom with a 39 ILD on top over a 36 ILD.  Now I need it firmer.

Again thank you for caring.

Recent Posts