Asking for advice between iComfort and Cloud
Feb 7, 2012 8:02 AM
Last night my fiancee and I went out in search of a new mattress. Our current mattress is a Sealy Posturepedic Classic 300 that was "made exclusively" for Montgomery Wards. I'm guessing this thing has to be at least 15 years old and needs to go as we cannot sleep a full night without having to readjust. We decided we wanted a bed that was plush, but not something you would completely sink into and have a hard time getting out. I wanted to look at the Temperpedic Cloud and liked that. The salesman then came over and pointed us to the iComfort Renewal Refined. I understand that your sleep is the most important thing, but I am having a hard time justifying $2,999 for the mattress and foundation with Serta only having these out a year. Can someone give me some insight on the Renewal Refined, what the Temperpedic equivalent is, and which one I should consider buying. Thanks!

- Jeff

Re: Asking for advice between iComfort and Cloud
Reply #3 Feb 9, 2012 2:33 PM
You see, there goes Serta playing games with names of mattresses.  Here in CA, in sears, there were 4 models of mattresses - Insight, Genius, Revolution and Prodigy.  Do they use different names in different states?  Did they dump the first year line and rename them all?   That would put up a red flag for me.

I've been on a TP Cloud base model for 5 months and had a iComfit (I like to misuse the name) Revolution for 4 weeks.  The Cloud  is awesome.  Completely satisfied with it except that it was a little odorous for quite some time, but never had a reaction to it.  Sleeping too hot?  pfft, complete non-issue. 

Sears advertised the Revolution as an 11.75" tall mattress which it was.  Problem is, they also said it had 2 layers of memory foam toalling 4.75" .... wrong!  That would have meant they have a 7" core foam inside ... they do not.  All the models cores are 6", meaning the memory foam was actually 5.75" , explaining why it was softer than I expected after 'breaking in'. 

All the above was easily verified with measuring stick.  How much can you trust a product that can't even advertise what is actually in their mattress?

Did you also know that an iComfort foundation is merely a low-grade box spring like with other conventional mattresses?  That's right, typicall slats at bottom and semi-flex L&G 'V- supports' up to the surface with grid of rods.  All covered in basic fabric and weighing what, 20 lbs tops.

Pick up a Tempurpedic foundation, if you can.  That's a reinforced top.  It will not sag one iota. 

People complain about their mattresses sagging all the time.  Do they realize their foundation may be more than half the problem?  Those little slats at bottom can bend and bow like you wouldn't be happy to see.

Many if not most people can sleep on conventional mattresses for some years and do fine.  The unfortunate ones with hip and shoulder problems (shoulder here) need something special where they can actually lay on the tender shoulder or hip..  That what I get from memory foam, and Tempurpedic sure as heck works for me.

Reply #4 Feb 9, 2012 3:02 PM
In Reply to slpngoc & Good sleep..    Yes 3 grand is mega bucks for a bed.. absolutely ridiculous, but others there in coil were extremely uncomfortable.. the next bed was a Tempurpedic and it felt exactly like the I Comfort but was 5 grand..I mean I am not a bank..  I have also read so many complaints on these as well.. I have a very good friend who swears by his, but he is now on his third one as after 2 years with each,  they sagged terrible but he cannot give up the feeling he has in that bed, so as long as they keep replacing them he is sticking with them..  I also had another neighbor who started suffering from all kinds of headaches and after many Doc appts. etc and such she narrowed it down to her new Tempurpedic bed and once they got it out of the house she was fine.. something about the gasses that emmit out of the bed even after you don't smell it anymore they are there..  If this new I Comfort bed doesn't work out I will give up and just buy the cheapest king bed anyone makes and when it gives out I will just re-buy another..I am so sick of the mattress industry and it's praises for this bed and that one and how much they charge for every little thing..  I had to fork over 50 dollars to have a rep come out to check my Latex bed.. imagine that, their bed is defective and I have to pay for a person to come out and check it..Now if I decide this I Comfort needs to be swapped there is another 149 fee for coming out to the house and taking away the defective one or one I don't want anymore and then also in that fee is another delivery charge.. Honestly this is highway robbery...someone needs to check this industry for how the consumer is being taken in all areas of the buy..   Happy Sleep to everyone..!!!
Reply #5 Feb 9, 2012 3:08 PM
Glenbury wrote:

In Reply to slpngoc & Good sleep..    Yes 3 grand is mega bucks for a bed.. absolutely ridiculous, but others there in coil were extremely uncomfortable.. the next bed was a Tempurpedic and it felt exactly like the I Comfort but was 5 grand..I mean I am not a bank..  I have also read so many complaints on these as well.. I have a very good friend who swears by his, but he is now on his third one as after 2 years with each,  they sagged terrible but he cannot give up the feeling he has in that bed, so as long as they keep replacing them he is sticking with them..  I also had another neighbor who started suffering from all kinds of headaches and after many Doc appts. etc and such she narrowed it down to her new Tempurpedic bed and once they got it out of the house she was fine.. something about the gasses that emmit out of the bed even after you don't smell it anymore they are there..  If this new I Comfort bed doesn't work out I will give up and just buy the cheapest king bed anyone makes and when it gives out I will just re-buy another..I am so sick of the mattress industry and it's praises for this bed and that one and how much they charge for every little thing..  I had to fork over 50 dollars to have a rep come out to check my Latex bed.. imagine that, their bed is defective and I have to pay for a person to come out and check it..Now if I decide this I Comfort needs to be swapped there is another 149 fee for coming out to the house and taking away the defective one or one I don't want anymore and then also in that fee is another delivery charge.. Honestly this is highway robbery...someone needs to check this industry for how the consumer is being taken in all areas of the buy..   Happy Sleep to everyone..!!!

You've got an awful lot of negative claims going on there. 

Recent Posts