Yup! another defective Simmons
Oct 31, 2009 2:37 PM
So, after now my 3rd Simmons Mattress in a year, the comedy of errors continues. After receiving a replacement for a defective mattress 5 days ago,I tried to turn the mattress yesterday and the corner caved in when I grabbed it. The entire top layer of the mattress lifted and made about a 4 inch bubble when I pushed on the side. I finally got the mattress turned and realized that the top quilting layer is too large for the mattress. It is sewn on and makes a squiggly edge on one end and I am able to grab a handful of top quilting and pull it up 3 or 4 inches off the mattress. I went to the furniture store this morning and they are replaceing it monday. This is 3 defective mattresses from Simmons in a little over a year. The store has been terrific and I feel badly that they are taking such a hit, but what can I do? When you pay the big bucks, you expect at least some quality. Such a shame.

This forum has taught me so much. We are going to purchase a flobeds twin size for our study/guest room (this is where the girlfriends of our grown boys sleep when they stay over). We will be able to use this to learn and make decisions before taking the plunge on Hubby's and my mattresses. He still wants an extra firm from Royal Pedic, and I will need a softer latex bed.

This message was modified Oct 31, 2009 by happywife
Re: Yup! another defective Simmons
Reply #6 Nov 15, 2009 5:25 PM
If money is a deciding factor, I cant say anything against the Serta. We had to purchase from the brands carried by the furniture store, so we were limited. We looked thoroughly at Simmons, King Koil, Serta, Aviaro (once Spring Air), and some super inexpensive "house brands". I must say, for the money, the Serta won out for quality every time. Once this mattress wears out, we will be going the custom made route, and not go with the big S brands. These beds cost so much money, I feel that you should get the most for your dollar, and the big S brands just aren't doing right by the consumer. Since we had to abide by the stores policy, The Serta seemed to give the biggest bang for the buck, and that was at mid level all the way up to luxury bedding. Since we were happy for about 5 years with a  Serta, we decided to just stick with it. This is a very well made set and even after spending $180 on latex pillows and $80 on luxury sheets, we still have a significant store credit after purchasing a Serta Trump mattress to replace a $2000 Simmons set. So yeah, of the brands we looked at, we felt the best deal was with Serta. Of course, there are many other brands and many other stores that may do better, but this was our experience. Happy shopping.

Recent Posts