which SleepEZ latex mattress
Jan 21, 2011 4:45 PM
Hi. I have been reading so much online about latex mattresses and reviews that my neck is hurting and my eyes are red!! The reason I am looking at SleepEZ, because they have more reviews, their prices, return policy and paying no tax. In CA you have to pay almost 9% and that is a lot of money.

Here is what I am looking for:

A natural latex matress under $2000. I am 5' 4" and 118 lb. I am a side sleeper most of times. I do have some lower back problems due to a slight herniated disc and i don't like really firm matresses or soft ones. We always had a pillow top and I like a cushion feeling. I am looking at the king matress sizes and wondering if there is a big difference between the 8 inch, 8500 model and 10000 model. I am planing to call SleepEZ and also look at some latex mattresses in the stores like room and board. I live near Irvine,ca and can also check out foam sweet foam to feel their mattresses for research purposes. I have already checked a matress store called Ergo and found their prices too high and their sales staff not that informative. Thank you for any help in this matter.

This message was modified Jan 21, 2011 by paris
Re: which SleepEZ latex mattress
Reply #1 Jan 21, 2011 9:14 PM
I am definately so not an expert.  Many with actual knowledge will chime in I'm sure... 

But I would do the following:

* Talk to SleepEZ Shawn <sp>

* Try out some latex mattresses (field test them, remembering the layer set up)

* Consider getting a combo of layers that will provide some vesatility if you need to change it later (SleepEZ will also allow exchanges)

* Consider all Talalay layers, or atleast the top layer (Talalay is said to feel softer than Dunlop latex).

I am going to get a Boyd metal frame that does the job of frame & foundation - they can be had at $169 (Cal King) including shipping.  Shawn stated that this would be fine, just put some Home Dept plywood down over the metal frame to protect the mattress.  This frame is like 14" I think, not including mattress height of course - which should make the mattress height about the normal height of a bed on frame with box springs/foundation.  This avoids having to buy a foundation...

I think you can get a 3 layer SleepEZ can meet your price point, with the above frame. 

Will the mattress be a dual firmness model, or all the same firmnesses?  It can be made in a dual firmness.  That allows more combinations to re-arrange should you desire.

The other person sleeping on the mattress, are their firmness desire or size similar to yours?

(waiting  for experts here...)

This message was modified Jan 21, 2011 by SoConfused
Reply #2 Jan 22, 2011 12:16 PM
Thank you. I think I am going to go with all Talalay natural. The question is if $250 more is worth the extra latex when you compare 8500 VS 10000 model. The bed is mainly for myself, since my husband is a restless sleeper and needs his own bed. We already have a platform bed, so I don't need any frame. I will go this weekend and check out R&B and FSF. Thanks.
Reply #3 Jan 23, 2011 8:41 PM
paris wrote:

Thank you. I think I am going to go with all Talalay natural. The question is if $250 more is worth the extra latex when you compare 8500 VS 10000 model. The bed is mainly for myself, since my husband is a restless sleeper and needs his own bed. We already have a platform bed, so I don't need any frame. I will go this weekend and check out R&B and FSF. Thanks.

Paris,

I had hoped someone with more knowledge would have chimed in by now?  But at least my response will "bump" your post...

I would think that with your weight & specs, a minimum thickness mattress would meet your goals, suich as an 8" or 9" layered (HOWEVER, this is just a guestimate on my part?).

The advantage of a layered mattress, as you are well aware, is the ability to make changes later should you need.

But I would imagine you might find a Talalay soft/ soft / med might be close to your preferrence?

Can you test drive this combo, at a local retailer?

And it sounds like you will be sleeping on a Cal King by yourself?  Might you consider a combo that would provide more combinations than a standard mattress?

Have you talked with SleepEZ Shawn?

Just trying to expand your your options...and thought process.

Reply #4 Jan 24, 2011 2:10 PM
Well, I just talked to shawn and he reccomended the 10000 model for side sleepers and 8500 fo stomach and back sleepers. He suggested soft, med, firm and I had read somewhere that he picks that for most people. The mattresses I tried this weekend were soft, med, firm and the med, firm, extra firm and I think I liked the second combo better. So at this point I might order the 10000 model. Foam sweet foam has a sale and the price is close to SE, but you have tp pay taxes and at this piont they don't have the organic cover, but they will carry it in a couple of weeks.
Reply #5 Jan 24, 2011 3:19 PM
I think the 10000 is usually a pretty good choice.   You are small enough that maybe tehe 8500 would work.  They are probably right that side sleepers might be a bit better with a thicker mattress than back or stomach sleepers.

I would note that sleepez firmness ratings tend to be firmer than some other places.  So, I would focus on ILDs and not their description of soft, medium, etc.  At sleepez soft is 22-24 and medium is 30-32.  At foam sweet foam, soft is 20-23, medium 24-28, and firm is 29-32.  At least that is what is on their websites.

In your case, I think S/M/F might actually be good, but each person definitely has their own likes and disklikes.

Reply #6 Jan 24, 2011 4:08 PM
Thanks Sandman. I am ready to put the order in for 10000, but now I have to figure out how to get rid of my old mattress. The only good thing about buying local, they pick up your old mattress.
Reply #7 Jan 24, 2011 5:38 PM
paris wrote:

Thanks Sandman. I am ready to put the order in for 10000, but now I have to figure out how to get rid of my old mattress. The only good thing about buying local, they pick up your old mattress.

Your city garbage collection department might have a pickup service for bulk items.  It is possible they will have a small charge.

I put mine on craigslist in the "free" section and it was literally gone within 5 hours.   It was a bit over 20 years old, but in reasonably good shape.

Reply #8 Jan 24, 2011 5:54 PM
We have got rid of MANY unwanted items with a magical service I found out about a few years ago.  It's called "Freecycle.com" and has chapters in most parts of the country.  (There are at least 3 in my area alone).   I believe you need a Yahoo user name to sign into the group, but the rest is FREE.   No sales are allowed since it is an exchange service only.   There are both "available" and "wanted" items listed.   First come, first serve to pick up an item.   I have given away at least 2 old bed sets, bunk beds, a rabbit hutch, old tires, computer desk, etc.etc.  It is a wonderful service when  someone can use your old stuff and not fill up the local landfill.   Give it a try!   (Old beds are fine in a guest room or camp)
Reply #9 Jan 24, 2011 7:17 PM
Thank you sandman and mark. I spent all afternoon calling charities, shelters and other places. Most junk removal services charge around $80. That is amazing. Who knew getting rid of a mattress would be such a hard job!!
This message was modified Jan 24, 2011 by paris
Reply #10 Jan 26, 2011 8:06 PM
About 4 weeks ago, I found myself in the same "corner" - trying to get rid of my old queen spring mattress. A listing in Craigslist did the trick in less than 3 days and someone took it away happily.

Recent Posts