Where do returned beds go?
Jul 16, 2011 6:48 PM
I hate waste and find myself wondering where all those barely used comfort swap mattresses go as I know that its supposedly no longer legal to sell them once they've been used. 

I got kind of a vague answer when I asked the guy at US Mattress if they went to charity but it seemed more like he was not at liberty to say. 

Anyone know? 

Re: Where do returned beds go?
Reply #7 Jul 17, 2011 7:41 PM
I live in PA. Every store has told me it is illegal to sell used & they are destroyed. Once I do buy a new mattress, I think I will not let them take my current 6 year old Sealy Posturpedic mattress. I will either sell it on Craigslist or find a charitable organization to come pick it up.
Reply #8 Jul 17, 2011 8:07 PM
Thanks, DoreenA and Budgy. What an eye opener! I can see now a new benefit in buying component mattresses with a zippered cover, as opposed to sewed shut.
Reply #9 Jul 18, 2011 9:14 AM
weewillywinky wrote:

Thanks, DoreenA and Budgy. What an eye opener! I can see now a new benefit in buying component mattresses with a zippered cover, as opposed to sewed shut.

What benefit are you referring to regarding component mattresses? Often these also have comfort exchanges on the components - I think thats why many people go for these. So isnt there just as much of a risk that these used components are being resold? I would think the risk is even greater since the regulations do not usually apply to mattress components, only the entire mattress.

Reply #10 Jul 18, 2011 9:50 AM
Wow - eye opener indeed. Seems like the notion that they might go to charity is just wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for all the info and links! 
Reply #11 Jul 18, 2011 10:45 AM
I first became aware of this practice while watching a court show recently where the plaintiff complained about a mattress she bought containing bedbugs. She cut open the bottom and found a VERY used (and dirty and stained) frame and upholstery with bedbug eggs clinging. The only indication the mattress was used was that the salesman scrawled a very small "ref" on her bill and it had no large yellow tag as required by law. Apparently breaking that law results in tiny fines of something like $50.

weewillywinky, do you mean components like slabs of foam? At least with those you can more or less see what you're getting, unlike with traditional spring mattresses where a new cover can hide a horror scene. It's really despicable.

When I got my new mattress, I had the guys take away an old set (I kept the one I was using) that was being used as an animal bed. Dogs used it, ate messy bones on it and drooled on it, cats used and puked on it. Now I'm frightened it got recovered and sold.

For anyone with a sick sense of humour, you might get a chuckle (or shed a few tears) over this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF3F9olA5Y

Reply #12 Jul 22, 2011 5:17 PM
I have read on line that there are places you can buy returned matresses at much reduced prices.  It may depend on the laws of each state but if my IComfort matress has a stain, etc. they will not take it back within the 120 days.  If they disposed of them--why would they care?
Reply #13 Jul 23, 2011 11:10 AM
numbernine wrote:

Wow - eye opener indeed. Seems like the notion that they might go to charity is just wishful thinking on my part. Thanks for all the info and links! 

If you do have a mattress you want to get rid of, I know that here in Atlanta a local Furniture Bank for formerly homeless people and they take mattresses. 

Reply #14 Jul 23, 2011 11:25 AM
dg219 wrote:

I have read on line that there are places you can buy returned matresses at much reduced prices.  It may depend on the laws of each state but if my IComfort matress has a stain, etc. they will not take it back within the 120 days.  If they disposed of them--why would they care?

Well, one reason they would care is because apparently more landfills are chaging excess tipping fees to mattress dumpers because mattress take up so much space and are nonbiodegradable. As you may be aware, some landfills are able to generate energy from biodegradable wastes. See www.cowpattypatty.com, for example. Mattesses just sit there for aeons, taking up space while they slowly rot and decompose, to the extent they can, which generally ain't much with most mattress these days.

Why did I say a zippered cover is a good thing? Because a) you can more easily inspect what is inside, b) replace it if necessary; and c) air and clean the components.

This message was modified Jul 23, 2011 by weewillywinky
Reply #15 Jul 23, 2011 7:31 PM
When companies tell you that in order to honor their comfort policy you must leave the mattress in the original package, something is wrong. I'm not positive but they may be circumventing the law that in some States says the mattress can not have bodily contact. I can not think of another reason to leave it in the bag.
Reply #16 Jul 25, 2011 4:57 PM
I can't necessarily tell you what other people do, but I manage a mattress factory, and I can tell you how we handle them.

We never sell any part of a used mattress at all. To whoever said it was a slap on the wrist, CPSC has cracked down big time on any manufacturers who sell used mattresses or mattresses with used components, as well as anyone not complying fully with fire retardant regulations.

In our state, it is illegal for us to do anything with a used mattress other than throw it away. What we do is put them in a stack outside of the factory, and let charitable organizations or anyone who needs a free mattress come and take them. That way, we have complied by putting them in a trash pile, but people who need them know where to find them.

I have heard about companies reusing or reselling old bedding, and that makes people wary of even companies like us who try to be honest.

Recent Posts