What is the closest latex bed to a Flobed product, something I could
Jun 1, 2010 8:08 PM
see in person.  In other words, a bed I might find at Macy's or Mattress Firm, etc.  I am interested in a plush, cushion firm sort of comfort level and something under $4,000.  I see the S Co's all make a latex product but wasn't sure about their specs and whether they use the LI product I see mentioned on here.
This message was modified Jun 1, 2010 by shaggy
Re: What is the closest latex bed to a Flobed product, something I could
Reply #6 Jun 2, 2010 12:53 PM
Not only is it the case that the major "S" brand mattresses are not 100% latex, I believe that the latex they use is 100% synthetic, not 100% natural or blended latex like LI manufactures.

When I was shopping for my latex mattress, I REALLY had to hunt around for a mattress I could try.  I found two local (within an hour drive) companies that manufacture their own latex beds, and I found two national brands I could try - Land and Sky, which makes dunlop latex beds, and I think it was called Sweda, made by Lady Americana.  You might try those.  They are not exactly the same feel as a 100% Talalay latex bed, but closer than what you will get from a major S brand.

Also, Vera Wang makes several latex mattresses.  Some of them are part latex, but I've heard that the very top latex mattress in the line is 100% latex.

Good luck!  At least you will have the assurance of knowing that if you purchase from Flobeds or Sleepez you can have a 100% satisfaction guarantee and be able to return the mattress for a full refund if you don't like it.

Reply #7 Jun 2, 2010 10:35 PM
thanks.  I did visit a local discounter who had a Serta bed that said it was Talalay latex.  The model was Caledonia.  This is from the stores website.

Caledonia Plush - Latex
8" Tallalay Latex Core, Additional Tallalay Latex in Surface, Bamboo & Cotton Blend Cover, 30 YEAR WARRANTY.
The king size was $3,000, on sale for $2,000.  Would be a bargain if it was all natural with no poly, etc.

Of course, no other store carries the "Caledonia" model.  I find on Serta's website they have this bed which they say is Talalay.  Not sure of the details.

http://www.serta.com/#/best-latex-foam-mattress-Serta-Pure-Response-mattresses-hypoallergenic

Reply #8 Jun 3, 2010 3:15 PM
Hmm.  Maybe.  If you're looking at an S mattress use this latex comparison chart as a starting point. Of course mattresses have many different names sold by different vendors, but if you look closely, you may be able to identify the mattress you tried on this chart.

Before you consider purchasing any S brand mattress, carefully look at the contents tag on the mattress, as it has to list all of the components of the mattress.  This is how you're going to find out if there's any PU foam in the mattress.

http://site.namebrandbeds.com/latex-mattress-comparison-chart.html

Reply #9 Jun 3, 2010 7:00 PM
I will check the link out. 

I'm not really looking a S-bed so much as I want to have something to evaluate how my wife and I might like good quality latex bed.

Reply #10 Jun 19, 2010 9:15 PM
Just found this thread and have recently gone through the shopping experience.

Purchased a Sweda Renu mattress mentioned in this thread a couple times.  Have had it a month and so far we feel we made a good decision.  These mattresses come in 3 firmness levels.  Each is approx 1/2 Talilay process laytex with foundation of polyurethane.  Only one company in the USA that produces Talilay laytex.  The model we purchased has 3 layers of different density laytex.  No padding between you and the laytex.  Comes with a nice zip-on cover with top being made of Bambo fabric, very soft.  We bought the Renu 5 model, their softest but no way overly soft, good support.  We're seniors and this fits our needs very well.

I would have no hesitation recommending to anyone looking at a laytex mattress to give this brand, model, consideration.  Oh, the Sweda brand is one of the family of brands by Lady Americana.

While shopping took a look at an Englander "laytex" mattress.  Saw a cross-section of this mattress. Was over a foot thick and only saw 1-2 inches of laytex sandwiched  in the middle.  Rest of the mattress was of a cheaper foam and in the cut-away the foam looked to be laid in a fairly sloppy way.  Was on "sale" and sale price was several hundred dollars more than the Sweda we purchased.

Reply #11 Jun 20, 2010 2:39 AM
The Sweda latex bed was one I tried when I was first shopping for a latex bed and trying to find something in a showroom that would approximate the feel of a latex bed from Flobeds/Sleepez/etc.

I can't say that it felt exactly like the Flobed did, but it was very comfortable to try, although too soft for my sore back and weight.  What I learned from trying the Sweda was that I liked the feel of latex.  Except for the fact that it has a layer of PU foam in it, it seems like a reasonable bed.

I was also able to find a Land and Sky bed locally, and learned from that bed that I did not like Dunlop latex.

Recent Posts