Vital Rest latex mattresses?
Sep 18, 2010 6:20 PM
I was in a store today that had these, and their Tri-Zone mattress was quite nice.  I like that they are made in the USA, but I cannot find any discussion about them here, or elsewhere.

Just wondering if anyone else had looked into to these, or perhaps has one.  Thanks!

http://www.vanguardmattress.com/Page_ID2.asp?IDTXT=42&sec=2

Re: Vital Rest latex mattresses?
Reply #1 Oct 5, 2010 7:17 PM
I came across these in my research and they seem to be very nice ... and a decent price for the apparent (high) quality.

Here is a site that sells them:

http://www.viesso.com/products/modelProfile.php?modelID=140

I talked with Jeff at Vanguard and he told me that they would ship directly to areas that did not have a dealer nearby however that would of course add to the cost.

This would be an option worth considering I think if the quality of the mattress and it's "flippability" was important. There are less expensive options out there for the same amount of latex however they mostly do not have the same layers of cotton or wool or the same seeming construction quality and most of them are one sided

Phoenix

Reply #2 Oct 5, 2010 7:40 PM
Just found a few more of my notes on Vanguard. The tri-zone has a 4" core of N4 firmness (indicates it's probably dunlop) and 1.5 inches on either side of that. They can put firmer or softer (N2) on either side. The price Jeff quoted me for this (in Queen) was $1584 plus shipping ($250 - $300? depending on area and level of shipping).

Phoenix

Reply #3 Oct 5, 2010 9:47 PM
Sweet Deals, Sweet Dreams! Premium Mattress Outlet
Just a quick note - in the So. Calif. area Vangard just closed their factory.  They tried to make arrangements to have another high end factory build their sets but the deal just would not stay togeather.  Not sure where you are but double/triple check before you send money.

Gunman

This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by gunman4440
Reply #4 Oct 5, 2010 10:11 PM
Looks nice, but a little expensive for a 10" queen size at $2475.  Not sure reversability is that important for latex.  If you have a zippered one, the layers could be flipped over and/or exchanged for customization.  Maybe it helps for the cotton wool side, but not sure how much.  The zoning might be a plus if they do it right.
Reply #5 Oct 5, 2010 10:33 PM
"Looks nice, but a little expensive for a 10" queen size at $2475"

I agree and it's why I didn't pursue it. Buying from the factory would have been around $1850 including shipping but it's still expensive for only 7" of Latex (1.5+4+1.5) even with the thick layers of cotton and wool (which are on both sides in the tri-zone mattress).

What I did like about it was the quality of construction.

They are also coming out (maybe already have) with a "nature's caress" line which is a little cheaper but I think has some "eco foam" in it.

I talked to them only about 2 weeks ago and "Jeff" that I talked to didn't say anything about their factory closing and seemed quite willing to ship me a mattress at the time. I wonder where they are making their new line ... or for that matter their current lineup as there are stores online that are still carrying them?

Anyway, there is better value out there IMO.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #6 Oct 6, 2010 1:00 PM
Gunman thanks for that information.  Was this published in the news or something?  I can't find any details about the closing.

Phoenix, did you find out any ILD numbers on their layers?  Just curious, thanks!

Reply #7 Oct 6, 2010 1:26 PM
It was N4 middle and N3 shoulder and bottom (the tri-zone) and there was an option for N3 middle and N2 top and bottom.

I was mistaken in my earlier post about Dunlop. The N ratings refer to Latex International natural Talalay firmness ratings.

Their ILD equivalents are N2 = 20-24.99, N3 = 25-30, N4 = 30-34.99, and N5 = 35-41.99  according to Sleeplikeabear http://www.sleeplikeabear.com/page/comparing-latex-international-latex-foams

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #8 Oct 6, 2010 2:39 PM
Angel wrote:

Gunman thanks for that information.  Was this published in the news or something?  I can't find any details about the closing.

Phoenix, did you find out any ILD numbers on their layers?  Just curious, thanks!

Angel,

I know the general manager of the factory that Vangard tried to arrange manufactoring through.  And I drove past their factory Monday of last week, the offices are dark and has a for lease sign on it.  And to cap the rest off - the sales manager now works for Southerland bedding.

Gunman

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by gunman4440
Reply #9 Oct 6, 2010 3:26 PM
Well this was just too curious so I phoned them.

The lady that I talked to said they were still in business and had planned this move for over a year and a half and that they were still manufacturing. The guy that moved to Southerland worked for them over a year ago and his name was also Jeff but not the same Jeff I talked to. She asked me if I wanted to talk with the Jeff I talked to but I didn't have anything more to ask him that I hadn't asked 2 weeks ago.

I told her about this thread and she plans to post here to "set the record straight". She thanked me for telling her about it.

If she does come here then you could ask her any questions about the Vital Rest or Vanguard directly.

Phoenix

Reply #10 Oct 6, 2010 3:26 PM
Clicke the post button twice and double posted. Second copy deleted
Reply #11 Oct 6, 2010 4:07 PM
Vanguard Mattress Corp. is not closed.  We moved to a larger showroom and better manufacturing facility in late July 2010.  our telephone number (see www.vanguardmattress.com) hasn't changed in over 6 years.

i am kathryn branman and i am the owner of the company.  if you have questions you are welcome to email us at info@vanguardmattress.com or telephone us at 714-447-3161.

forums like these can be very helpful and i am sure that's what the moderators want.  rumors (including the erroneous information i am seeing here about our products, the specifications - which we do not disclose - and prices) do not help consumers or genuine seekers of information.  it is always best to consult the manufacturer directly and to listen to retailers who carry the product and consumers who are sleeping on the product.

Reply #12 Oct 6, 2010 4:10 PM
I'm sure you are sincerely trying to share valuable information on this forum so let me tell you your post is not accurate.  you are welcome to visit our website or telephone us at 714-447-3161. 
Reply #13 Oct 6, 2010 4:39 PM
Thank you for setting the record straight.

Also for the record ... the information I posted came directly from my notes regarding the specs and pricing and I wrote those notes during a lengthy conversation with Jeff.

I was impressed with the build of the mattress and told him at the time that I thought that there was better value out there if the "amount of latex" was used as a comparison (I was looking for at least 9" of latex in a mattress) but that I thought this mattress would be of interest to some that were looking for a higher quality and not necessarily more latex.

This was when he told me about the new line that was coming but he didn't have the details at the time.

I think that basic information regarding the build and materials and amount of those materials in a mattress are basic questions that should be asked by every consumer and should be openly answered by every manufacturer. Why would this be a "secret".

Phoenix

Reply #14 Oct 6, 2010 4:55 PM
I'm looking at my notes again and you may be right. I may have been quoting the price Jeff told me for the eco essentials that he didn't have the details for. He quoted me $1284 plus shipping for the eco essentials and then my notes say $1584 plus shipping beside the information about the Vital rest. This price could have been the eco essentials price with $300 shipping added so even though my notes seem clear to me, it's probably better to err on the side of caution and let people phone you for the prices if they don't have a dealer nearby.

I apologize if the price I posted was wrong. The build information I posted was exactly what Jeff told me

It would still be nice if your website included more specific information about your mattresses as other manufacturers do. While I understand not posting prices for the sake of your dealers, the build information in my view is important.

Phoenix

Reply #15 Oct 6, 2010 5:28 PM
Vanguard's VR Nature's Caress line is not yet on our website which has been under construction for 3 months.  it should be up in about a week.  you'll find most of the information you're looking for on this collection there, including where to buy.  if you still have questions, please phone the factory:  714-447-3161.
Reply #16 Oct 6, 2010 5:31 PM
Several of our retailers (store owners) sleep on the Vital Rest Pure & Natural Trizone - contact the factory and we can put you in touch.  714-447-3161.
Reply #17 Oct 6, 2010 6:18 PM
kbranman wrote:

Vanguard Mattress Corp. is not closed.  We moved to a larger showroom and better manufacturing facility in late July 2010.  our telephone number (see www.vanguardmattress.com) hasn't changed in over 6 years.

i am kathryn branman and i am the owner of the company.  if you have questions you are welcome to email us at info@vanguardmattress.com or telephone us at 714-447-3161.

forums like these can be very helpful and i am sure that's what the moderators want.  rumors (including the erroneous information i am seeing here about our products, the specifications - which we do not disclose - and prices) do not help consumers or genuine seekers of information.  it is always best to consult the manufacturer directly and to listen to retailers who carry the product and consumers who are sleeping on the product.

Kbranman:

Are you running your own factory or are you having another factory make your merchandise for you under your name.  If we check the law lable who's registry number will we find?

Gunman

This message was modified Oct 6, 2010 by gunman4440

Recent Posts