Is There A Mold Problem with Latex Mattresses
Dec 4, 2009 3:48 PM
Hi,

I never even heard of a latex mattress until I found this forum. 

Please tell me, if you know, is there a problem with mold with natural latex mattresses?

Does anyone know if the layers of latex are glued together?

I'm trying to gather information to make an informed decision about the type of mattress to buy.  I had a Select Comfort, but wasn't happy that it got mold.

Your input is appreciated.

I've gone to a couple of mattress stores and find the latex bed comfortable.

Sunshine
Re: Is There A Mold Problem with Latex Mattresses
Reply #1 Dec 4, 2009 4:15 PM
I do not believe that there is a mold problem with latex. Unless of course you're living in a very humid area with poor ventilation.

Some people believe that latex should have a wood slat base to have proper ventilation. I am using the base from my waterbed that while it is wood slat it has a 3/8" piece of solid plywood over the slats. I have not noticed any mildew problem whatsoever, but then I have only been using the mattress for a couple of months.

Different people have different opinions about this business of latex and mold. I think my opening two sentences pretty well covers it as far as I am concerned.
This message was modified Dec 4, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #2 Dec 5, 2009 11:11 PM
I did quite a bit of research into latex mattresses before I bought mine, and they apparently do not have mold problems, provided there is sufficient ventilation.  This ventilation does not necessarily have to be slats under the bed, I have mine on a regular foundation, and side ventilation can be adequate too.

I believe that some manufactured latex mattresses may have the layers glued together, on my bed, there are four separate layers that are not glued together.  These are layered into a zippered mattress, so I can move the layers around if I want.
Reply #3 Jan 21, 2014 8:40 AM
My latex mattress didn't even last 1 year. My son's memory foam on top bunk didn't even last 3 months. Mold! My latex mattress was synthetic..and both were on the recommended slats. 
Reply #4 Jun 20, 2014 11:12 AM
shewhoreadsall wrote:

My latex mattress didn't even last 1 year. My son's memory foam on top bunk didn't even last 3 months. Mold! My latex mattress was synthetic..and both were on the recommended slats. 

Shewhorsadsall.  Please tell us about the environmental contitions in your home.  Do you have an HVAC unit?  Is a child wetting this bed repeatedly?  Mattdud.

Reply #5 Jun 25, 2014 10:19 AM
as far as I know they do not havemold problems. My mattress is latex and I have had it for 2 years and I have not seen mold so far

Recent Posts