Tempurpedic too warm? Also, a mattress protector question
Jul 11, 2011 1:23 PM
We've had our tempurpedic classic now for almost 3 months.  I've noticed that when I wake up the area underneath my back and buttocks is somewhat warm.  Not burning hot, but just warm.  I was wondering if there is any solution to this.

I'm thinking of ordering this mattress protector Protect-a-Bed Premium (to protect the mattress):

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Mattress-Protector-P7.aspx

I was wondering how it will affect the feel and warmth of my tempurpedic.  Will it make it warmer or less warm?

Thanks!

Re: Tempurpedic too warm? Also, a mattress protector question
Reply #2 Jul 11, 2011 1:37 PM
Sheeps wool filled mattress protector is your best bet although it will still be warm.  The waterproof protector will likely make you much hotter than you already are. 
Reply #3 Jul 12, 2011 4:05 PM
kalash wrote:

We've had our tempurpedic classic now for almost 3 months.  I've noticed that when I wake up the area underneath my back and buttocks is somewhat warm.  Not burning hot, but just warm.  I was wondering if there is any solution to this.

I'm thinking of ordering this mattress protector Protect-a-Bed Premium (to protect the mattress):

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Mattress-Protector-P7.aspx

I was wondering how it will affect the feel and warmth of my tempurpedic.  Will it make it warmer or less warm?

Thanks!

I have a Protect-a-Bed premium waterproof mattress protector and my iComfort memory foam mattress arrives tomorrow.  I'll let you know how that goes.  I won't even think about sleeping a night with only a contour sheet on the mattress.  The mattress will have a quality protector over it.

Around here, every department and mattress store has Protect-a-Bed displays and they try to sell them as first recommendation.

Then again, they are trying to sell big name brand beds with catchy trademark names for their polyurethane foam, so one must be wary of marketing hype.

Reply #4 Jul 13, 2011 10:28 AM
sleepswithcats wrote:

What do you have on your Tempur now?  Just sheets?  There are some threads on the forum about people with "S" memry foam mattresses that have found moisture from sweat that soaked through the entire mattress.  Have you felt the foam to see if the moisture is actually seeping into the foam?  I know I have seen reference to one product that specifically claims to make the Tempur sleep cooler, but I can't find the link.

I have a thin wool moisture barrier (from Holy Lamb Organics) on my latex mattress.  Wool keeps you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.  I opted for a thin barrier becuase something too thick will change the feel of the latex.  I don't know if this is true for memory foam as well.  While the protector you link to may help some of the moisture from getting into the foam, perhaps you might want something that will help you sleep cooler as well.

Yes, right now I just use a cotton sheet between me and the Tempurpedic velour mattress cover.

My sheets actually aren't soaked with sweat at all.  In fact, the mattress is not terribly hot, it just feels a little warm, like a chair would after someone had "warmed it up" by sitting in it for an hour.  It's not really that bad, it's just noticeable given that our house is already hot.  (We live in hot and humid Texas in a house that needs better insulation).  

Your wool idea sounds interesting.  Do you put a cotton sheet above it or sleep directly on the wool layer?

I've thought also about just adding layers of sheets between me and the mattress.  I guess the more you add between you and the mattress, the firmer it gets, but I'm actually all for the firmer mattress.

Reply #5 Jul 13, 2011 11:01 AM
I have the wool barrier, then a cheap mattress pad and sheets.  I'm not sure how much it changes the feel of the latex.  I've just had the mattress for 10 days.  I'll try different combinations each time I change the sheets.  The mattress is 3 layers inside it's own case which is cotton with wool quilt.  I'll be trying different combinations when I change sheets to figure out the wool barrier and the mattress protector change the feel of latex.  I wanted wool because it is effective at moisture, is thin and can also help with heat issues.

I don't know how much additional layers affect the feel of memory foam.  But it takes body heat to warm the mattress in order for you to sink in.  Adding layers above memory foam will probably lower the rate of  body heat transfer.  So if you roll around a lot, it may take longer for  the mattress to conform to your body.  Perhaps someone with a Tempur can share their experience.

I would think that the a layer of something between sheets and mattress cover would be beneficial.  Body sweat contains salts and is probably not good for any mattress including memory foam.  The Tempur sells <a href="http://www.tempurpedic.com/Basics/Tempur-Pedic-Mattress-Protector.asp">a mattress protector</a> which they claim is stretchy.  It doesn't get very good reviews; I know I would not want a protector with "plastic" in it.  I would search on this forum for "tempur" and "protectory" and also look at the products on Amazon and read the reviews.  See if people mention using them on Tempurs.

Hope this helps.

Reply #6 Jul 13, 2011 11:49 AM
Are you using the wool mattress barrier here?

http://www.holylamborganics.com/mattress_tops.html

From the pictures, it looks like a flat sheet.  Does it encase the mattress?

Reply #7 Jul 14, 2011 12:04 AM
http://www.holylamborganics.com/mattress_tops.html#Anchor-HAPP-51226

It's the "Moisture barrier".  A "thin wool sheet" is an accurate description.  The pictures on the web site are accurate.  I have it under a 20 year old cheap mattress pad.

Reply #8 Jul 15, 2011 3:05 PM
I'm using a Protect-a-Bed premium mattress protector on my iComfort memory foam bed.  It's the really thin layer with terry surface.  I haven't felt too hot in the bed. 

My hunch is the iComfort sleeps a tiny bit warmer than a conventional bed, but it's not much. 

Reply #9 Jul 15, 2011 4:37 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

http://www.holylamborganics.com/mattress_tops.html#Anchor-HAPP-51226

It's the "Moisture barrier".  A "thin wool sheet" is an accurate description.  The pictures on the web site are accurate.  I have it under a 20 year old cheap mattress pad.

Have you looked into the St. Dormeir?

http://www.snuggledown.com/s/catalog/st_geneve/st_dormeir_wool_mattress_protectors/?ref_src=froogle

It is cheaper ($168 vs. $195).  

The St. Dormeir is a quilted mattress pad with cotton on top and has elastic sides to hold it to the mattress.  Not sure which one is better.  There is a thread on this somewhere on the forum.

This message was modified Jul 15, 2011 by DavidG
Try mattress pad with Outlast
Reply #10 Aug 10, 2011 11:19 PM
Hey

Try the cooling mattress pad by Gilligan & Ferneman, can be found at Amazon.com or http://www.coolingmattress.com 

It has outlast material in it that is temperature regulating, so when your body gets warm it will absorb some of that heat

and help you sleep cooler. Awesome, i cant live without it now!

S.

Reply #11 Aug 20, 2011 7:00 PM
Sleep and rest!
If that mattress protector is made with materials such as carbon fibers that afford a high level of thermal conductivity, it would absorb more heat and allow less heat to enter the memory foam.

Heat transfer across materials of high thermal conductivity occurs at a faster rate than across materials of low thermal conductivity. Foam is a material that is not very thermally conductive 0.03W/(m·K). or less so it  or will not pull heat away from the body efficiently, as well as dissipate heat even less.

Unfortunately not many mattress protectors offer performance fabrics.

You can try.

What i would do is add 1" of 19 IFD latex between your body and the memory foam.

Recent Posts