Summerhill & Bishop v. S & F
Sep 26, 2009 10:34 PM
Has anyone heard of the brand Summerhill and Bishop? I guess it's a joint brand produced by Simmons and Ortho Mattress but I can't seem to find any literature on it.<BR><BR>Option 1 is a queen Summerhill and Bishop &quot;Elgin&quot; pillowtop that has 980 individually pocketed coils, 12.75 gauge double tempered, 2 1/2&quot; high density (not sure on type or actual density) foam and 1&quot; memory foam encasement, 10 year warranty.<BR><BR>Option 2 is a S &amp; F &quot;Maple Leaf&quot; which I'm guessing equates to their Luxury Innerspring line, 825 coil count with 5&quot; memory foam and 2.5&quot; foam encasement which I am also unsure about in terms of specs, 10 year warranty. No gauge was given by the rep.<BR><BR>Figure a $300 increase for Option 2, both were comfortable for my primary backsleeping, sometimes side sleeping body position in the 15 minute nap test. Primary concern is durability, not sure if Option 1 is a good idea with no background on its longevity or if Option 2 is worth the extra $$. Thanks for the help.<BR><BR>At 6 ft 170 lbs, the smart size choice would be a queen but I'm still debating bumping up to a king size bed because they are just so fun to sleep in...like falling into a cloud haha.
This message was modified Sep 26, 2009 by tiredandrestless
Re: Summerhill & Bishop v. S & F
Reply #1 Sep 29, 2009 8:56 PM
tiredandrestless wrote:
Has anyone heard of the brand Summerhill and Bishop? I guess it's a joint brand produced by Simmons and Ortho Mattress but I can't seem to find any literature on it.<BR><BR>Option 1 is a queen Summerhill and Bishop &quot;Elgin&quot; pillowtop that has 980 individually pocketed coils, 12.75 gauge double tempered, 2 1/2&quot; high density (not sure on type or actual density) foam and 1&quot; memory foam encasement, 10 year warranty.<BR><BR>Option 2 is a S &amp; F &quot;Maple Leaf&quot; which I'm guessing equates to their Luxury Innerspring line, 825 coil count with 5&quot; memory foam and 2.5&quot; foam encasement which I am also unsure about in terms of specs, 10 year warranty. No gauge was given by the rep.<BR><BR>Figure a $300 increase for Option 2, both were comfortable for my primary backsleeping, sometimes side sleeping body position in the 15 minute nap test. Primary concern is durability, not sure if Option 1 is a good idea with no background on its longevity or if Option 2 is worth the extra $$. Thanks for the help.<BR><BR>At 6 ft 170 lbs, the smart size choice would be a queen but I'm still debating bumping up to a king size bed because they are just so fun to sleep in...like falling into a cloud haha.

No, never heard of them. I think most people on this forum have had either no experience or bad experience with indiv. pocket coils. Count me in the latter group.

So I can't really help you with your question; sorry. All I can say is that my recommendation is to buy regular springs. Pocket springs feel GREAT at first but it seems to be rather common that many people find them not so great after a short time. My guess is that they are too thin and so break in/ break down too quickly because of the weakness of the coil. There are also issues with the coils "migrating" , not staying in place.

That said, some do seem to like them, so you pay your money and you take your chance.

Good luck!
Reply #2 Dec 14, 2009 9:31 PM
Hi

I am looking at buying summerhill & Bishop too and comparing it to Simmons. Did you end up buying this mattress? Would love your thoughts/feedback.

Thanks
Reply #3 Mar 20, 2010 1:32 PM
Would love to know if you did end up buying the pocketed coils and what you thought. 

I just bought the a Summerhill & Bishop and it feels to me that the coils are shifting around.   i still have time to return it and was curious of other peoples experience with this bed. 

Thanks

Reply #4 Mar 20, 2010 4:04 PM
Just curious if those specs are listed somewhere publically.  That first bed with a 980 coil count independent spring....12.75 gauge of wire is ridiculously thick for the coil count...is this bed firm as a rock? Also you cannot double temper a spring, usually double tempering is terminology for standard spring systems where they temper the coils seperately and then they temper the entire spring system once its all built and the lacing wires are in place so that the lacing wires also get tempered.  Either way, never have I ever heard of Sealy doing this on a pocket coil mattress. 

Recent Posts