Topic Thread

Return to Topic List
DavidG


Joined: Jul 15, 2011
Points: 2

Stearns and Foster poorly rated? Inner coil spring mattress decision.
Original Message   Jul 15, 2011 11:33 am
Quote Quote
I was browsing this website which seems to have the most thorough mattress reviews on the net and Stearns and Foster appears to get very poor customer ratings.  Its satisfaction rating is somewhere around 57%.  Why this?  Stearns and Foster is supposed to be a premium mattress brand, and it gets lower ratings than Sealy Posturepedic, which is a lower end mattress line?  Sealy Posturepedic has a rating around 65%.

 

We were looking at a S&F at Mattress Firm (Foxbridge Firm in particular)

 

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Stearns-and-Foster-Foxbridge-Firm-P94.aspx

 

and it is billed as top-of-the-line, but now we're not so sure.  Other contenders are Sealy Posturepedic Irresistible Firm and Sealy Posturepedic Honorable Firm.

 

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Sealy-Posturepedic-Irresistible-Cushion-Firm-P203.aspx

 

http://www.mattressfirm.com/Sealy-Posturepedic-Honorable-Firm-P207.aspx

This message was modified Jul 15, 2011 by a moderator
Replies: 7 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Post Reply
weewillywinky


Joined: Apr 15, 2011
Points: 163

Re: Stearns and Foster poorly rated? Inner coil spring mattress decision.
Reply #7   Jul 15, 2011 10:33 pm
Quote Quote
slpngoc wrote:

 The first Posturepedic link claims the bed has the individual DSI coils.  I would verify that.  Could be that it only has DSX or SS coils.

 

The link with S&F seems off.  $1500 for a twin set?  It could be Sears 'Hearthstone Lux Firm' equivalent which is $972 year round there.

The Posturpedic 2011 'Bellezza Firm', the only model I've seen around here with DSI individual coils was tagged $999 at Sleep Train.

I wouldn't say S&F is just a glorified posturepedic.  Their box spring is really good, very strong and solid.  My Hearthstone was very well built.  Coils seemed awesome.  It was just the regular polyurethane foam (Variable Response Tech) foam that brought it down a bit for me. 

To the OP, I think be careful with internet dealers.  Buying something you haven't tried is risky.  Also, if you need an exhange or refund, will they do it?  I don't know which is best.  Whatever one you like the most.

 

 


Actually, Budgy is quite right. Stearns and Foster is, in fact, a brand owned by Sealy. It's considered an upper-end Sealy product, it appears. Check out this SEC filing.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/748015/000104746911000234/a2201619z10-k.htm

So no wonder it starts with "S"! cool

slpngoc


Joined: Jun 2, 2011
Points: 481

Re: Stearns and Foster poorly rated? Inner coil spring mattress decision.
Reply #8   Jul 15, 2011 10:48 pm
Quote Quote
weewillywinky wrote:

   

 


Actually, Budgy is quite right. Stearns and Foster is, in fact, a brand owned by Sealy. It's considered an upper-end Sealy product, it appears. Check out this SEC filing.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/748015/000104746911000234/a2201619z10-k.htm

So no wonder it starts with "S"! cool


Seriously? ...  I know S&F is a part of Sealy.  I'm would imagine most like myself go to www.sealy.com to easily find Stearns and Foster as one of their product.

Per Sealy's webstie, they have Posturepedics starting at $599 queen set.  S&F's start at $1,299 queen set.  Whoever wants a $599 Posturepedic set, knock yourself out.  Maybe you can proclaim it to be just like an S&F.

My point above was only 20% of Sealy's techs are certified to make the S&F mattresses in Sealy factories (we have one in 25 miles N. in Richmond, CA).

Also, every Stearns and Foster has individual coils, and the newer lines have the intellicoils.

Most Posturepedics on floors to date do not even have individual coils.  There is a whole truckload of 'Posturepedic' Sealy mattresses with wide variety of coils, materials and cover fabrics and some of them are over $1600 for a Queen. 

It's rather silly to say a Stearns and Foster is just a glorified Posturepedic.  Gurantee you an entry level S&F at Sears Roebuck ($1k twin set) blows away an entry level Posturepedic (<$500 twin set) with SS coils and some cheesy fabric cover.  I'm seen them both a few times.

This message was modified Jul 15, 2011 by slpngoc
weewillywinky


Joined: Apr 15, 2011
Points: 163

Re: Stearns and Foster poorly rated? Inner coil spring mattress decision.
Reply #9   Jul 15, 2011 11:14 pm
Quote Quote
slpngoc wrote:

 

  


Seriously? ...  I know S&F is a part of Sealy.  I'm would imagine most like myself go to www.sealy.com to easily find Stearns and Foster as one of their product.

Per Sealy's webstie, they have Posturepedics starting at $599 queen set.  S&F's start at $1,299 queen set.  Whoever wants a $599 Posturepedic set, knock yourself out.  Maybe you can proclaim it to be just like an S&F.

My point above was only 20% of Sealy's techs are certified to make the S&F mattresses in Sealy factories (we have one in 25 miles N. in Richmond, CA).

Also, every Stearns and Foster has individual coils, and the newer lines have the intellicoils.

Most Posturepedics on floors to date do not even have individual coils.  There is a whole truckload of 'Posturepedic' Sealy mattresses with wide variety of coils, materials and cover fabrics and some of them are over $1600 for a Queen. 

It's rather silly to say a Stearns and Foster is just a glorified Posturepedic.  As always, you get what you pay for assuming you have a reputable seller, not a ripoff.


Okay - I didn't see anyone mentioning Sealy and S&F in the same breath. You evidently know more about it than may some others do, and I really appreciate your posts. I've learned a lot from you!  I know Budgy is very knowledgeable since he has worked in the field for many many years, so I think his opinions are worth considering, as well. One might question the way he phrased it, I guess, but I suppose he was making a point worthy of some consideration and not just spouting off!. He's definitely one of the main long-time contributors to the knowledge base on this forum, and I'm grateful for his contributions, too.

I believe - correct me if I'm wrong - that Sealy is kind of famous for its individualized "pocketed" coils. I'm not entirely clear on what the difference would be with "individual coils" and what "intellicoils" are. I really haven't looked into what goes into a "posturepedic" mattress, either. I'd be interested in some further enlightenment, or I can do some research, but at this point, after lying on a posturepedic a month or so ago, it was okay but not overwhelming.  Anyway, we're all here to learn! That's what this is all about! Maybe some day we'll all be mattress experts on every kind of mattress that exists! smiley .

budgy


Joined: Dec 17, 2009
Points: 850

Re: Stearns and Foster poorly rated? Inner coil spring mattress decision.
Reply #10   Jul 16, 2011 2:41 pm
Quote Quote
I have physically cut open a S & F warranty return mattress that was supposed to contain wool and silk in the mattress, there was no wool or silk in the fibres underneath the cover.  The fabrics may look fancy but they are essentially still mass produced synthetic covers from overseas just like the stuff on the 'lower end' Posturepedics.  Regarding coil differences, there are many Posturepedics that contain pocket coils, ironically enough a lot of people have complained about the quality of S & F beds going down since they made the change to invidual coils a few years ago.  They used to be very simple heavy gauge bonnell springs.  

 

The beds also used to come with a card that was supposed to be signed by the person that made the mattress, never saw one card signed ever. I can assure you these are production line assembled in much the same way as the regular mattress line.  The boxsprings that we had a couple years ago were also no different from the regular Sealy bases, they contained one extra strip of a thin metal reinforcement running head to toe, I had one of these bases fail under the weight of one heavy couple as well.  

I am not trying to piss on the brand, yes there are differences between a $1299.00 S & F and a $599 posture pedic, the differences are not nearly as vast as Sealy would have us believe.  I am just trying to provide some insight as to why the brand has lower customer satisfaction ratings than the less expensive posture pedics....better in some ways yes, but not worth the price difference IMO.  If you ask anyone around here I am always an advocate of good quality expensive beds, but they have to be justifiable. 

This message was modified Jul 16, 2011 by budgy
slpngoc


Joined: Jun 2, 2011
Points: 481

Re: Stearns and Foster poorly rated? Inner coil spring mattress decision.
Reply #11   Jul 16, 2011 4:12 pm
Quote Quote
budgy wrote:

I have physically cut open a S & F warranty return mattress that was supposed to contain wool and silk in the mattress, there was no wool or silk in the fibres underneath the cover.  The fabrics may look fancy but they are essentially still mass produced synthetic covers from overseas just like the stuff on the 'lower end' Posturepedics.  Regarding coil differences, there are many Posturepedics that contain pocket coils, ironically enough a lot of people have complained about the quality of S & F beds going down since they made the change to invidual coils a few years ago.  They used to be very simple heavy gauge bonnell springs.  

 

 

The beds also used to come with a card that was supposed to be signed by the person that made the mattress, never saw one card signed ever. I can assure you these are production line assembled in much the same way as the regular mattress line.  The boxsprings that we had a couple years ago were also no different from the regular Sealy bases, they contained one extra strip of a thin metal reinforcement running head to toe, I had one of these bases fail under the weight of one heavy couple as well.  

I am not trying to piss on the brand, yes there are differences between a $1299.00 S & F and a $599 posture pedic, the differences are not nearly as vast as Sealy would have us believe.  I am just trying to provide some insight as to why the brand has lower customer satisfaction ratings than the less expensive posture pedics....better in some ways yes, but not worth the price difference IMO.  If you ask anyone around here I am always an advocate of good quality expensive beds, but they have to be justifiable. 


The main problem I had with the entry level 'Hearthstone Luxury Plush' (tight top) from Sears was the foam indented in hips and shoulder areas in only several days.  I know we've heard that a million times.  It was a good looking mattress and the cover fabric was nice, but it would have been nice to have really durable and 'springy' foam.  The box spring was decent.  I pressed down on it fairly hard and it was solid under there.

I guess it's a moot point for me to plug S&F because it didn't work for me.  Maybe a pillowtop would have worked, but I don't plan to get one. I'm much more interested in high quality latex comfort layers.

------------

weewilly - It was Simmons that's been using 'pocketed' individual coils since like 1928.  I know S&F only started using them a couple years ago and 2011 Posturepedics have them.  I don't know if Sealy has waffled back and forth using and not using individual coils.
 

weewillywinky


Joined: Apr 15, 2011
Points: 163

Re: Stearns and Foster poorly rated? Inner coil spring mattress decision.
Reply #12   Jul 16, 2011 10:57 pm
Quote Quote
slpngoc wrote:

 


The main problem I had with the entry level 'Hearthstone Luxury Plush' (tight top) from Sears was the foam indented in hips and shoulder areas in only several days.  I know we've heard that a million times.  It was a good looking mattress and the cover fabric was nice, but it would have been nice to have really durable and 'springy' foam.  The box spring was decent.  I pressed down on it fairly hard and it was solid under there.

I guess it's a moot point for me to plug S&F because it didn't work for me.  Maybe a pillowtop would have worked, but I don't plan to get one. I'm much more interested in high quality latex comfort layers.

------------

weewilly - It was Simmons that's been using 'pocketed' individual coils since like 1928.  I know S&F only started using them a couple years ago and 2011 Posturepedics have them.  I don't know if Sealy has waffled back and forth using and not using individual coils.
 


Thanks for setting me straight, Slpngoc! And to Budgy too for for more info on S&F. Really appreciated!

Replies: 7 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Post Reply
More Information
Help Help
Member List Member List
Moderator List Moderator List
Recent Posts
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Today 4:16 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Yesterday 6:12 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - sandman
    Aug 29, 2014 3:39 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Aug 28, 2014 8:32 pm
  • Re: Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - sandman
    Aug 28, 2014 7:18 pm
  • Are FoamByMail's memory foam topper densities accurate? - BeddyBye
    Aug 28, 2014 1:39 am
  • Re: Is this statement true about memory foam topper thickness? - BeddyBye
    Aug 28, 2014 1:33 am
  • Re: Is this statement true about memory foam topper thickness? - mattdud
    Aug 27, 2014 3:24 pm
    Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forum    Reviews    About    Contact   
    Copyright ©1998-2014, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42