Stay away from Simmons brand, researching a "Diamond" brand mattress
Sep 3, 2008 6:56 PM
Purchased a simmons beautyrest plush pillow top from Macy's in May of this year. The mattress was very comfortable however within two months it had sagged one and a half inches or more. My weight is 155lbs and I am a side/back sleeper. Macy's took the mattress back and instead of exchanging for another plush, I decided on a Simmons beautyrest firm mattress figuring that it would be less likely to sag.

The simmons firm mattress turned out to be the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on and I am planning on returning it. At present, I am sleeping on the bed in the guest bedroom. My recommendation, stay away from simmons mattresses.

Am considering a memory foam mattress and came across a "Diamond" royalty memory foam for $1288 at a local store here in the Bay Area , however I have not been able to find any reviews for this brand and the quality. I read the Diamond warranty online and they do not accept returns for body impressions, so this is a red flag. Have another week left to return the simmons to Macy's for another mattress or exchange for something different, subject to a 10% return fee and delivery. I may just opt for a straight return for the time being and try one of those foam pads on the guest bed. Any suggestions on where to purchase a foam pad?

I have been finding that trying to buy a decent mattress is even more challenging than buying a new car. The main problem appears to be poor quality in materials in all the brands, unless you are willing to spend several thousands of dollars. Salespeople I have talked to in various stores have not proved to be very helpful either, and seem more concerned with making a commission that the customers satisfaction.
Re: Stay away from Simmons brand, researching a "Diamond" brand mattress
Reply #2 Sep 4, 2008 12:42 AM
The simmons mattresses I tried were the beautyrest felicia plush which was later exchanged for the beautyrest felicia extra firm which has a reasonable amount of padding. The adrian is the next step down in pricing, personally, I would not be willing to take any more chances with this brand. They either sag or if firmer, are very uncomfortable. Good luck.
Reply #3 Sep 4, 2008 5:17 AM
Do you live in the Bay area of California? If so, have you tried out a McRoskey mattress yet? That's a good old fashioned cotton-stuffed mattress that gets high reviews. A bit pricey, though. But I hear they last a long time.

Also, do you ever get to Santa Cruz? This is the mattress I have: http://baybed.com/ If you search for my other posts, you'll see which one I have. I really like being able to unzip the cover to change the foams inside.

Good luck! I would stay away from any mainstream mattress, though. Simmons and otherwise.

kiwijm wrote:
Purchased a simmons beautyrest plush pillow top from Macy's in May of this year. The mattress was very comfortable however within two months it had sagged one and a half inches or more. My weight is 155lbs and I am a side/back sleeper. Macy's took the mattress back and instead of exchanging for another plush, I decided on a Simmons beautyrest firm mattress figuring that it would be less likely to sag.<BR><BR>The simmons firm mattress turned out to be the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on and I am planning on returning it. At present, I am sleeping on the bed in the guest bedroom. My recommendation, stay away from simmons mattresses.<BR><BR>Am considering a memory foam mattress and came across a &quot;Diamond&quot; royalty memory foam for $1288 at a local store here in the Bay Area , however I have not been able to find any reviews for this brand and the quality. I read the Diamond warranty online and they do not accept returns for body impressions, so this is a red flag. Have another week left to return the simmons to Macy's for another mattress or exchange for something different, subject to a 10% return fee and delivery. I may just opt for a straight return for the time being and try one of those foam pads on the guest bed. Any suggestions on where to purchase a foam pad?<BR><BR>I have been finding that trying to buy a decent mattress is even more challenging than buying a new car. The main problem appears to be poor quality in materials in all the brands, unless you are willing to spend several thousands of dollars. Salespeople I have talked to in various stores have not proved to be very helpful either, and seem more concerned with making a commission that the customers satisfaction.
Reply #4 Sep 5, 2008 5:21 AM
Unfortunately most S-brand mattresses are made pretty much the same way. Layers of cheap PU and low grade memory foam that quickly develop body impressions. Pillowtops are notorious for sagging. It's not just Simmons -- you hear the same complaints about all of them.

Those restocking fees are are awful. Since you are thinking about getting a memory foam mattress and you only have a week to decide what to do about the one you're currently sleeping on, I would suggest going over to Bed Bath and Beyond and getting a memory foam topper. Two inches at least, and if you like a soft bed no more than 3". If you buy the topper there you can return it if you don't like it or decide to return the bed to Macy's.

A word about MF mattresses-- be careful what you buy. All MF is NOT created equal. Cheaply made Chinese MF will sag and develop body impressions just as much as any conventional mattress. If you really think a MF mattress is the way you want to go check out a Sensus. It's high quality US made visco without that "cold slab of clay" feeling you get with Tempurpedic. Personally I prefer a MF topper over an innerspring mattress rather than a stand alone MF mattress. I get better support for my back, and when the MF starts to bottom out I can replace it without the expense of buying a new mattress.

Reply #5 Sep 5, 2008 5:49 PM
As someone who found this forum in my excruciating search for just the right mattress last week, here's my experience and recommendations re: Diamond Mattresses.

I owned and slept on very comfortably a Diamond (model: Spinal Pedic “Prestige”). Bought it 10 years ago, around the time (I believe) the industry started making plush-type pillowtops. Or at least they hadn't been making them for years as it was hell finding sheets that would fit 15” deep mattresses! I was concerned the pillowtop would depress over time and create impressions, but to my surprise, it NEVER did. (No memory foam or latex was used in pillowtops back then.

About 2 years ago, I started having some occasional back issues. Never thought it was my bed, till recently when it became more chronic and consistent. Well, finally my dense head realized it could be my mattress. (And have now learned that mattresses should be changed every 7-10 years.) So I searched high and low for a new bed, reading for hours the reviews online and forums. I didn't think Diamond was anything special, 'cause they don't spend money advertising and just figured there were better mattresses out there. Money's not as tight as it was 10 years ago.

Well long story short, after visiting plenty of brick and mortars and not being happy with the way memory foam or latex or air feels, I thought, why the heck don't I just try to find another Diamond? Unfortunately, they don't make the model anymore that I had. But I did find something similar, another pillowtop model, the Spinal Pedic “Devonshire” (no memory foam or latex) and after 4 nights on this... still NO pain upon waking, woohooo!

So I'm sold on these. They're locally made in LA, apparently a family run business, they say 20 years warranty on most of their mattresses but that's not realistic.

I did try one of their pillowtop memory foam models on the floor at a furniture story, but didn't like it. As far as “I read the Diamond warranty online and they do not accept returns for body impressions, so this is a red flag”... this seems to be true for every mattress and mattress company, from what I've found in my research. Seems like most companies say something like it has to be more than 1.5” to qualify for warranty action.

The only negative I have to say about Diamond, is that they aren't “accustomed” to fielding questions from the public, apparently. Their business really seems geared to providing product to stores and not interfacing with potential customers' questions. So if you call Diamond to ask a question like, “What model comes closest to the Prestige you used to have?” ... good luck getting a response.
This message was modified Sep 5, 2008 by Producer08
Reply #6 Sep 11, 2008 7:02 PM
Dear Producer;
I will have to check out the Diamond beds, too.  Did you ever open up your old bed to see how it was made that the pillowtop didn't crush?  I have had two beds by Restonic  do this and one by Stearns and Foster, so am very hesitant to go pillowtop anymore.  But I need the cush or my arms and legs get numb. 
Thanks,
Kait

Producer08 wrote:
As someone who found this forum in my excruciating search for just the right mattress last week, here's my experience and recommendations re: Diamond Mattresses.

I owned and slept on very comfortably a Diamond (model: Spinal Pedic “Prestige”). Bought it 10 years ago, around the time (I believe) the industry started making plush-type pillowtops. Or at least they hadn't been making them for years as it was hell finding sheets that would fit 15” deep mattresses! I was concerned the pillowtop would depress over time and create impressions, but to my surprise, it NEVER did. (No memory foam or latex was used in pillowtops back then.

About 2 years ago, I started having some occasional back issues. Never thought it was my bed, till recently when it became more chronic and consistent. Well, finally my dense head realized it could be my mattress. (And have now learned that mattresses should be changed every 7-10 years.) So I searched high and low for a new bed, reading for hours the reviews online and forums. I didn't think Diamond was anything special, 'cause they don't spend money advertising and just figured there were better mattresses out there. Money's not as tight as it was 10 years ago.

Well long story short, after visiting plenty of brick and mortars and not being happy with the way memory foam or latex or air feels, I thought, why the heck don't I just try to find another Diamond? Unfortunately, they don't make the model anymore that I had. But I did find something similar, another pillowtop model, the Spinal Pedic “Devonshire” (no memory foam or latex) and after 4 nights on this... still NO pain upon waking, woohooo!

So I'm sold on these. They're locally made in LA, apparently a family run business, they say 20 years warranty on most of their mattresses but that's not realistic.

I did try one of their pillowtop memory foam models on the floor at a furniture story, but didn't like it. As far as “I read the Diamond warranty online and they do not accept returns for body impressions, so this is a red flag”... this seems to be true for every mattress and mattress company, from what I've found in my research. Seems like most companies say something like it has to be more than 1.5” to qualify for warranty action.

The only negative I have to say about Diamond, is that they aren't “accustomed” to fielding questions from the public, apparently. Their business really seems geared to providing product to stores and not interfacing with potential customers' questions. So if you call Diamond to ask a question like, “What model comes closest to the Prestige you used to have?” ... good luck getting a response.
Re:
Reply #7 Sep 5, 2011 10:24 PM

This message was modified Mar 2, 2016 by greenacres
Reply #8 Apr 10, 2017 11:47 PM
Don't do it Diamond won't stand behind it and in five years you will be left with nothing but back aches and end up buying something else !

Recent Posts