Split King Adjustable Bed owners: does the Split between the beds irritate you?
Aug 20, 2011 7:55 PM
Well been pondering whether to get a split king Comforpedic or normal king (1 piece mattress) with a Leggett & Platt adjustable bases.  I know the list of disadvantages and advantages, but sometimes you just need to own a product to know if you made the right choice.  Main advantage with split king is independent control, disadvantage less sleeping real estate.  Will the split between the two mattresses drive me nuts?  I know Comforpedic has well supported edges so maybe the split in the middle will not be that irritating?  Owners please chime in.  If you had to do it again, would you buy a split king with independently adjustable bases or a 1 piece king with adjustable bases that move in unison? Thanks.
This message was modified Aug 21, 2011 by Adjbed2525
Re: Split King Adjustable Bed owners: does the Split between the beds irritate you?
Reply #1 Aug 26, 2011 7:08 PM
I have a split king (flobeds) with very different firmnesses on both sides.  I don't mind the split at all.  Given the no-edge nature of latex, the sides of the beds don't have a hard/rigid feeling that normal mattresses have.  Since the sides give and are soft, both beds give without adding odd pressure.  I can comfortably lay across both beds (or exactly on the division) and not feel uncomfortable.

That being said, you can definitely feel that there are 2 beds.  So if you're wanting a "I can't tell there are 2 beds" feel, you won't get that.

As for the adjustable, I have a prodigy split king base.  My wife and I are NEVER in the same position.  She wants to be in a certain position and I want to be in something different almost all the time.  Further more, when I want to go to bed, I can go flat while she sits up and reads.  The convenience of personal preference in my opinion greatly outweights the split king "crack" in the middle of the 2 beds.

If I were to do it again, I would still do split beds.  I don't know why every bed is like this...many marriages would be better :)

Re: Split King Adjustable Bed owners: does the Split between the beds irritate you?
Reply #2 Aug 27, 2011 2:07 AM
I have the Leggett & Platt S-Cape and actually make the bed as a king. I have a king outlast mattress pad and king fitted sheets and they both have deep pockets.

They both handle the adjustments of both sides of the beds just fine and then there's no crack...so to speak.

Reply #3 Aug 27, 2011 2:22 PM
The supported edge of the Comforpedic might be a disadvantage here.  That firmmer edge now is in the middle and you might notice that.  In most foam mattresses that do not have a firmmer support edge and are also what is described as having a "knife edge", you typically do not notice the seperation in the middle unless you are really sensitive.  Also you want to lock castors on carpeted floors and use castor cupps on hard floors so the bases do not seperate.
Reply #4 Aug 27, 2011 4:40 PM
Thank you all for the responses. 

Achyjon, I take it that you have 2 motorized bases working in unison with movement, with two split twin xl mattresses that are treated as a 1 piece King with sheets and mattress pad, correct?

Jsmatt, thats a good point about the comforpedic edge.  I talked to comforpedic and they said the edge of the Fiji is supportive yet fairly plush, and does not form a hump. 

Kind of leaning with split twin xls to form a king but the price goes up by $2000 over the 1 piece Fiji King. That is a lot of $ for independent control. Do you all think it will be worth the price increase or should I stick with the 1 piece King and save $2000?  Thanks

This message was modified Aug 27, 2011 by Adjbed2525
Reply #5 Aug 27, 2011 4:57 PM
It really depends on you as a couple.  Obviously if you do the one mattress and sync the bases then you save $'s and don't have to be concerned with the split.  My experience is that most couples prefer to be able to use their side independantly.  Especially if one is sick and wants to be able to sleep with their head elevated.  Or if one does a lot of reading while the other is sleeping or watch tv. 
Reply #6 Aug 27, 2011 8:33 PM

Achyjon, I take it that you have 2 motorized bases working in unison with movement, with two split twin xl mattresses that are treated as a 1 piece King with sheets and mattress pad, correct?

They are two, and were in unison, but now are individual and still 1 piece king sheet and mattress pad, and works out well.

Reply #7 Aug 30, 2011 12:55 AM
We bought a split king since we're using the Prodigy adjustable base. My wife likes the independent control, even though I do make fun of her because I think she used the adjustable base once or twice in the 2 months we had the bed. And how much did we pay for this thing again..haha.. we don't a TV in the bedroom so we might not get full use of the adjustable beds. When we slept in a hotel last weekend on a regular king we did miss it. A split king to me, feels like 2 separate beds, just right next to each other. But then again, we have 2 different beds, she has the Tempurpedic Rhapsody and I have the Cloud Luxe, about 1in difference in height too.
Reply #8 Mar 21, 2013 8:24 AM
It was iritating with Revery Deluxe, but when purcshased new s-cape I don't have this problem anymore.
This message was modified Mar 21, 2013 by a moderator

Recent Posts