Simmons Beautyrest World Class opinions/reviews
Nov 24, 2010 5:27 PM
Hi all,

Stopped by a mattress dealer outlet and was directed towards a "last years model" "floor model" Simmons Beautyrest World Class firm mattress (but not super firm).  Was shown the price new, somewhere around $2100 apparently and can buy this for around $850.  My intention was to spend around $600, but felt it might be more worth my money to go this route.  Does anyone have experience with this bed?  If opinions are poor, what would you recommend for around $850?

Re: Simmons Beautyrest World Class opinions/reviews
Reply #9 Nov 27, 2010 2:46 AM
The sawgrass was the specific reason we went to Portland. You probably already know this but just in case you don't it has 3 one inch layers of 19 ILD Talalay latex and then a 6" base of 28 ILD Talalay latex. It is the least expensive talalay latex mattress that I have seen anywhere (and I've looked at a lot).

The reason I didn't buy it had nothing to do with quality but with it's statistics. The 3 one inch layers were just a little to soft for my makeup and I (and my other half) tended to "go through" them (when we were specifically "testing" for this) and could feel the firmer layers underneath. It probably would have been "perfect" if the 3" were a single layer.

This of course is a matter of personal comfort and choice and if you lay on it and liked it ... it is an amazing value. They also have a "sawgrass special" which has compressed wool in the quilting but it just didn't feel as nice as the regular.

Restonic does have a latex line called Healthrest but the problem is that Restonic is a loose organization of licensees that each make it for different areas of the country and the same models are made differently depending on which one makes it. In some places they have all latex models with no poly and in other areas they put about 2" of poly on the top of their otherwise all latex mattress. This one has some latex on coils and I don't know the exact construction but it would seem clear to me that the sawgrass is "better value" but how you feel on them is very important. They should be able to tell you the specific construction of their mattress and exactly what is in it layer by layer. If I see it I'll post it here.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 27, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #10 Nov 27, 2010 3:13 AM
If you go here (my favorite Restonic manufacturer of the one's I've seen) http://www.clarebedding.com/index.asp?sPage=11#Grand_Palais

and then click on the "view product" link under the Grand Palais collection (the Cambridge is part of this collection) you will see the exact specs of all 19 models they make in this line. None of them are called the Cambridge here but one of them should be similar to what you tried. They all have varying degrees of latex and poly over springs in them but in the case of Clarebedding they tend to use higher quality poly (still not as good as latex of course). Some of them also have some memory foam.

The Healthrest collection made by Clare Bedding are one of the regional versions that are all latex with no poly and they have the specs for them on the site as well.

Phoenix.

PS: I wouldn't worry too much about "specials". While some of them may be valid (very few) and represent a savings over "normal" selling prices, this is the exception. When I looked at the sawgrass I would also have received a "free something" (don't remember what it was but it was probably a pillow as well). It was also nice that Oregon doesn't have any sales tax but I would have had to pay shipping which was quite a lot (hundreds) if you are out of their delivery area. They do have another "connected" outlet though where you can get it shipped anywhere in the country for $999 (Excel distributors) but that is mattress only as they won't ship the foundation.

Reply #11 Nov 27, 2010 10:36 AM
Thanks for further assuring us of how we feel as well.  While the Restonic line is high quality, the Parklane Sawgrass is absolutely amazing!  We are in the area, so delivery is free.

While we will probably purchase the metal bed frame, eventually we'd like to buy a bed.  Do you have any recommendations to accompany the Sawgrass?

Reply #12 Nov 27, 2010 7:41 PM
As far as a bed goes, that is so personal and so much more involved with esthetics that I have no wish to go there (laughing). My research was focused on mattresses. The mattress we purchased is on a Reverie Deluxe adjustable bed which we bought as well.

I believe from my research that if the Sawgrass is a suitable construction for someone's individual body proportions and weight, then it is among the very best values available anywhere in the US. There are a few others that someone could get from a local manufacturer that are similar in terms of cost/construction/value and a few that are of the "make your own" variety but these are more about differences and choices than better value.

If it "works" for you ... I doubt you could do much better in a basic all talalay latex mattress no matter where you went.

Phoenix

PS: To answer your previous question, Talalay is one of two methods used to produce a latex (rubber) foam. The other is Dunlop. Many people prefer Talalay because it has a more consistent structure and is a little "springier" and feels a little softer than the equivalent in Dunlop. It is also more expensive to produce and is only made by 3 companies in the world (outside of China). Some people do prefer Dunlop as a core layer in a mattress and some even prefer it's firmer less springy feel in the top layers but in general Talalay is considered by most (not all) as preferable ... especially in the comfort layers. There are some Dunlop manufacturers who have done a lot of research into the Dunlop method and the raw latex that is used so some of these produce a higher quality and "springier" Dunlop (coming a bit closer to Talalay) than others. There are other differences between latex in general outside of the method used to produce it (such as natural vs synthetic) but there is a lot of good information and many discussions in the forum about that already. Both Dunlop and Talalay made by a reputable manufacturer are considered high quality materials that are usually used in "more expensive" mattresses.

Recent Posts