Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #49 May 28, 2011 5:44 PM
if your not poor and humble, then whats the point? - Terence Mckenna
okay guys.. so the serta icomfort is made by....... (you guessed it)  SERTA MATTRESS COMPANY.  Not sleep innovations or anyone else.  The Serta Icomfort boast a no break in peorid, 12x more breathble, sleeps cooler,  superior pressure relief, 120 night risk free trial, 25 year warranty. And the  outer cover of the icomfort is veryyy nice. And at about 1/3 cost of a tempurpedic.  The sleep inovations gel memory foam is not the same as the serta with only 10% of gel instead of the 30% with the Icomfort. I read all about the costco memory foam and went to a icomfort dealer to get the facts and differences. Even on the law tag it says made by "serta mattress company"  NOT SLEEP INOVATIONS so dont be fooled by the liars on here!!  Please don't believe what others are saying! Go to an icomfort dealer yourself and find out the hard way
Reply #50 May 29, 2011 10:59 AM
I have some news for the most recent post that iComfort is made by Serta and nobody else.  I work in the foam industry.  Obviously that previous post does not understand the mattress industry.  Serta makes nothing.  They purchase materials: innersprings, adjustable bases, foams, fabrics from other companies.  They then assemble those pieces together to make the product.  The point being that iComfort is not a unique or new technology, story or otherwise.  Been around a while.

In fact some ComforPedic (Simmons) already has this and has for years.  Nothing new.  I give Serta credit for the creative spin, but it is WAY overpriced for what it is.  As others have mentioned, Sleep Innovations makes this product for Serta and is BRANDED Serta at Sam's Club.  Same product is branded "NovaForm" at Costco.

iComfort looks pretty, great story...but the data simply isn't there from what I can find.  I don't want to hear it is 30% gel vs 10% gel in NovaForm.  That is not accurate.  I say the less the better.  In fact there is not a single piece of info that we have found to substantiate gel offers any measurable advantage.  Gel isn't breathable, it is inconsistent in structure.  Take a close look for yourself at the samples in stores.  I never felt the difference and was disappointed.  Statistics in the industry from what I could gather on Gallup is 10% of all people (no matter the brand) say the product slept warmer.  I can't argue with those numbers in my opinion.

This product is destined to have breakdown and lack of support from my experience in foam industry.  Foam companies are simply trying to sell this product to mattress companies to make money on the gel-making machines they have had for years and have been losing money on.  So think twice before settling.  Lipstick on a pig....it is still a pig.

Reply #51 May 29, 2011 5:13 PM
If any foam would break down it would most likely not be the one with gel in it, because of the FACT that is it more resilient and had more support where you need it. If gel is no good then why has it been used for a long time? I take it you don't ride a bike and wear bike gloves with the gel inside? or maybe get soreness on your feet only to find you buys dr.scholles with gel? It may not be breathable standing on its own.. but when its infused with the micro support gel it makes the foam MORE of an open cell structure compaired to tempurpedic/comforpedic/embody by 12% Yes I agree that serta may buy their springs from L&P and use someother materials they did not make themselfs, but the foam bed at costco is not the same as the icomfort because once again the icomfort is NOT made by sleep innovations. The novaform is a cheaper version so people can meet that type of price point, but i assure you 100% that they cut cost in more than a few places.   Show me some proof or a link for that matter, for your claim that gel will break down faster!  I will be getting a Full sized icomfort insight in the next few weeks and if you can prove to me what yur saying i may reconsider but I feel like i've done actualy research compaired to people who may have just an opinion. Is there any different levels of firmness with the costco? Do they have have boxsprings? Why dont they use the same ammount of gel as icomfort/ with less of the gel foam in there by up to a few inches? Do they sell the novaform at any retail store besides online or costco? I just think the icomfort will be the best if i deside to return for instore credit, or need another comfort level.  I have the money, so why not settle for a better product, backed by a better bedding brand so i dont have to sacrifice anything?
Reply #52 May 29, 2011 10:11 PM
Ok, I finally had a chance to actually go down to a Costco and try a Novaform Gel mattress in person. However, I was EXTREMELY disappointed that Costco did not have a full mattress for anyone to try! >:( Instead, they just had a block sample of the gel mattress on display by the mattress boxes. The block was about 2 feet by 2 feet...my measurements may be a bit off, but the bottom line is that it was extremely difficult to compare this to a full iComfort mattress simply because of the small size of the sample. I spent a good amount of time studying the sample, pressing down on it, and even sitting on it. My goal was to compare the mattress to the iComfort Insight and try to make a final determination as to which mattress I may go with.

Overall, the Costco Novaform gel sample felt less dense than the iComfort and the recovery time was noticeably different than the iComfort. The iComfort foam seems to recover a bit more slowly than the Novaform, and the iComfort foam just feels more dense. The cover on the iComfort is WAY nicer than the Novaform, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with the way the foam feels. I recognize that it is difficult to get a true sense of how the Novaform gel compares to the iComfort because there was no full mattress sample for the Novaform. I also tried out the Novaform pillows and was not impressed at all! The Tempurpedic pillows blow the Novaform pillows away in quality and feel, so that may be a good indicator of how Novaform/Sleep Innovations foam products really stack up.

My impression is that the iComfort feels thicker and the foam definitely feels more dense than the Novaform. In light of my observations, I'm thinking that the iComfort may just win me over and I may just go ahead and take the plunge on the iComfort Insight. If anyone has directly compared a Novaform gel mattress and the iComfort, please post your thoughts!

Reply #53 May 29, 2011 10:41 PM
Dear "daydreamer",

Sleep Innovations does not make the foam either.  As a reminder....I work for a foam manufacturer.  Show me evidence Serta makes ANY foam and you'll win me over.  They don't.  I make foam for them...and I make a LOT of it.  And I agree with gel and that it doesn't break down...that isn't my point.  Forgive my lack of articulation, but thank you for your sarcasm.

The gel "infused" claim simply means we are adding gel SCRAPS into the material as it is made.  No consistency to the gel particles or their distribution. There is ZERO evidence that gel provides additional benefits.  Where is the proof?  I make it and I know this.

No medical claims or 3rd party endorsements/backings to the warranty on this product.  I think tempurpedic appears to be the only ones with that.  I haven't seen any data online stating the Novaform is any different than iComfort material.  Possibly a different density...but I mean really...enough for a $1,000 difference?  Same warranty and everything.  Same story, same look, same manufacturer.

Gel doesn't make foam any more "open cell" structured.  That is a FACT.  ZERO data supports that claim.  Is it open cell?  Yes.  Is it MORE open cell than any other domestically-made visco product like ComforPedic, Tempurpedic, etc....absolutely not.  Now if you're talking about low-grade imported foam product...that you have a point.  Maybe that is what iComfort's statements are all compared to "ordinary memory foam" in the fine print.  Not sure what defines that, but maybe it is compared to cheap imports.

Reality is the bed looks great...but the proof is in the pudding as the saying goes.  We will continue to make the gel product with my company as long as people buy it.  No complaints!  But we have studied it and there is simply no benefit.  But the mattress people buy it and we make it.  That's how us foam manufacturers operate I guess.  Thank you for the business!  I just feel bad the consumers are being given poor information and half truth marketing.

That is just my experience as a foam manufacturing company.  I know what I know.  I see what I see.  The foams (not the gel) break down.  There is simply not enough gel to make it more durable.  Gotta admit though...a great story if you want to believe it!

Reply #54 May 30, 2011 9:53 AM
Dear, Danwhite?..                        That is only your opinion! See.. your tricky to make it SOUND like everything you say is true,.. but we all know its not.  Everything i read from you is just an opinion and NO facts once-so-ever. You might as well be preaching to me that the world is flat!  I'm done with arguing with you   Like i said  where is a link for your "research" or whatever you wanna call it mr. dan.       like i said do you have a link to prove what you say? or do we just have to trust your word aginst theirs?            No linkey? you stinky!
Reply #55 May 30, 2011 5:46 PM
Would somebody PLEASE post a review of their experience with Serta iComfort! I'm about to go out and buy one during Memorial Day sale. How is it possible no one is reviewing this bed on this site or anywhere else on the web?!? It's been out several months right?  (It's pretty clear that Danwhite has some other kind of agenda about bashing the iComfort gel foam so I'm disregarding his comments outright.) I'm debating between the iComfort or shelling out another $500 or so for a Tempurpedic of the same size. But being that I live in warm Southern CA, ideally I'd want something that will stay a little cooler than the Tempurpedic apparently does. If someone could shed some light on the Serta iComfort ASAP that would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
This message was modified May 31, 2011 by jblo
Reply #56 May 31, 2011 11:09 AM
A few months ago, I too was looking into memory foam mattresses.  From everything I read, the most important thing to look for is the density of the foam and the amount (thickness) that is in the mattress.  The density ranges from 1-5, with 1 being the least dense and 5 being the most.  The 1-5 rating is actually the weight in pounds of one cubic foot of foam material.  Why has no one mentioned density? 
Reply #57 May 31, 2011 12:19 PM
I would LOVE to find out the density of the foam in the iComfort mattresses. I am thinking about calling Serta CS to se if they can send me something on that. I doubt it. But like I said in an earlier post, the iComfort Insight mattress definitely felt more dense than the Novaform sample at Costco I tried out.
Reply #58 May 31, 2011 5:08 PM
phreaky_d wrote:

I would LOVE to find out the density of the foam in the iComfort mattresses. I am thinking about calling Serta CS to se if they can send me something on that. I doubt it. But like I said in an earlier post, the iComfort Insight mattress definitely felt more dense than the Novaform sample at Costco I tried out.

I just called a couple Sit 'N Sleep stores who are a major authorized retailer. They said the density of Serta iComfort mattreses are 5 lb's per cubic foot. Tempurapedic are 5.3. Seems like a neglibible difference. But from what I understand, the foam in the Novaform are no where near the quality of iComfort's.

This message was modified May 31, 2011 by jblo

Recent Posts