Serta Icomfort request for advice
Apr 10, 2011 8:51 PM
Greeting mattress experts and lurkers,

I am a once-a-decade mattress buyer in need of assistance.  Can anyone provide input for the Serta Icomfort foam mattress line?  Specifically, I'm interested in the Revolution model king size.  My initial search led me towards the Tempurpdic Rhapsody.  However, many reviews suggest Tempurpedic's sleep "hotter" than spring or other foam mattresses.  My wife is furnace so I dare not bring a mattress home which amplifies that issue.  So, my next focus was the Simmons ComforPedic.  My wife laid on every model and said they were "too springy" compared to the Tempurpedic and the iComfort.  So we are down to one option right now, the iComfort.  What I'm asking for help with is advice and comparison.  The iComfort line of Serta is very, very new and this is possibly why there is no data or opinions on the internet.  My heart is not set on the Revolution for $2,000 and I am genuinely interested in hearing advice and comments even if that information leads away from iComfort completely. 

Thoughts?

Much appreciated,
Bronson

Re: Serta Icomfort request for advice
Reply #258 Jan 19, 2012 3:10 PM
This is my first post on this board.  In researching then trying various beds in different stores I decided the Icomfort Insight felt right for me.  On my old bed my lower back was getting more and more painful so a change was in order.  I came home and found this message board and read every post.  All the answers served to tell me there is no one "real" answer to the question "will I like this bed."  I think such an answer is a very personal and individual response but, that having been said, the various posts here did give me a lot of helpful advice on what to be on the lookout for.

I bought an Insight and it was delivered today.  It was brick-hard when it came in but it is cold outside and with the bed traveling in a cold truck all day, the mattress reflected that.  As it has warmed to the inside temps, it has begun to soften somewhat. 

One thing I found really interesting having read several posts addressing the "smell" issue:  there was practically no scent to this bed.  What little odor there was wasn't unpleasant and both my dogs have been in an out of the room with me and haven't really been bothered one way or the other by the new arrival. 

The Warranty brochure that came with the bed didn't say anything about pros or cons of an electric blanket and since I like my electric I called Customer Service to ask about it.  The answer was rather complex but boiled down to this:  the heat from the blanket will soften the memory foam the same as your body's shape will soften it.  If you are happy with that, fine, use the blanket.  If you don't want the softened feel, don't use it.  My decision is to not use it and see how it goes.  If I am cold on the Insight, I will try the blanket. 

After I have slept on the bed for a week or so I will report my impressions be they good or bad.  I will try to be honest and state truthfully now that I have no vested interests that will sway my opinion one way or the other.  I felt that most of the posts before mine were honest with the simple intent of wishing to be helpful.  I assure anyone reading this that my intentions are that and nothing else and I hope my subsequent posts reflect that.

See you in a week.

Reply #259 Jan 22, 2012 8:17 PM
I bought my Serta IComfort mattress on 1/7/12 and it was delivered on 1/11/12. I had my heart set on a Stearns and Foster (lower end) model but once at Macy's I loved the feel of the IComfort. I had no plans what so ever of purchasing a memory foam or gel foam mattress and actually knew very little about them. I purchased the Insight queen and box spring. Upon being delivered the mattress was literally hard as concrete. I was horrified b/c it felt nothing like it did in the store showroom. After about four days my back and legs were aching. I even felt sciatica pain, which I hadn't felt in years. I had back surgery at age 30 (42 now) and never once had a problem since the surgery.

I called Macy's customer service on 1/15/12 and informed them of the firmness of my mattress and the discomfort I was experiencing. The CSR encouraged me to keep the mattress for at least one month if I could tolerate the pain. She mentioned I had 120 days to return the bed so keeping it longer would be even better in order to give the mattress extra time to "break in". The next two days I thought I was going to go crazy. I was sleeping everywhere (couch, chairs, other people's beds!) except my bed as it was just too uncomfortable. I started walking on my bed two to three times a day and all of a sudden the mattress became comfortable. I'm rather petite, 5'7" and 120# and walking all over it, edge to edge seemed to make a huge difference. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing to do; all I knew though was that I had to do something to be able to sleep on this new mattress.

I've had the Insight now for 12 days and I will continue to keep it and let it break in. It is becoming more comfortable with time and I'm really loving this bed now. Especially with the IComfort pillows which are terrific for upper back and neck support. Regarding any smell, I have not had a problem at all. I did notice a slight smell to the pillows but not the mattress. I'm almost certain I will keep this mattress and not return it. But I have a few more months to make that decision so will keep you posted on my progress. I hope this has been helpful for IComfort shoppers out there.

Reply #260 Jan 26, 2012 8:39 AM
Today is my one-week anniversary with my Insight bed and I'm very happy with it so far.  My sleep has been refreshing and comfortable although the pain in my lower back is still there.  However, it is certainly no worse and even seems to have lessened as I bend getting out of bed in the morning. 

I have noticed some unevenness in the mattress--some places are more firm than others but I suspect this a matter of it not being fully broken in.  Still, this is nothing to change my thinking that this was a good choice for me. 

At this point I am a satisfied sleeper and customer.  If anything changes that would effect this assessment I will return and post any update.  For now, though, I thank everyone who posted before me and helped me with this decision. 

Reply #261 Jan 26, 2012 5:24 PM
ribsmoke wrote:

Today is my one-week anniversary with my Insight bed and I'm very happy with it so far.  My sleep has been refreshing and comfortable although the pain in my lower back is still there.  However, it is certainly no worse and even seems to have lessened as I bend getting out of bed in the morning. 

I have noticed some unevenness in the mattress--some places are more firm than others but I suspect this a matter of it not being fully broken in.  Still, this is nothing to change my thinking that this was a good choice for me. 

At this point I am a satisfied sleeper and customer.  If anything changes that would effect this assessment I will return and post any update.  For now, though, I thank everyone who posted before me and helped me with this decision. 

Ugh..these beds are becoming our biggest nightmare. I am sure we will be discontinuing these things soon. IT seems like that 6 to 7mth mark is the majic number for compaints and issues with the IComfort. I really hope everything goes well with yours, but over the last 2 months they have become our leader of returns and complaints.

Reply #262 Feb 4, 2012 7:47 AM
I am now into my third week of sleeping on my new Insight.  My opinion of this particular bed has not changed.  I remain a happy sleeper and have not regretted my purchase even one time. 

This will be my final post here until, or if, I should note a change.  I will then return and update my situation.  Until then, happy sleeping.

Reply #263 Feb 8, 2012 9:55 PM
@DaveStro, Your statement could not be further from the truth. 

Memory foam is also an open cell structure, which allows the foam to breathe much better than standard poly foam mattresses. Filling memory with gels or other non breatheable materials will reduce how well the mattress breathes. If the foam can not breathe is will hold more mositure causing the mattress to break down and wear out sooner. 

That is an outright lie.  The gel actually helps the the memory foam breathe better which is why it's cooler than regular memory foam.  It is infused into the memory foam, not coated as a barrier and helps retain the open cell structure which dissapates and diffuses the heat and odors.

Another selling point is 20 year warranty. It is actually a 10 year non prorated warranty (Same as most innerspring mattress) and 10 years prorated. So if a manufacturing defect appears in 15 years it will cost you 50% of the value of the mattress to have it repaired or replaced under warranty.

Another lie.  The warranty on the icomfort is 25 years, of which it is full for the first 15 and prorated for the last 10. 

Warranty's have nothing to do with the life of the product and do not cover normal wear and tear.

I am sensing a pattern here.  Warranty's on any product differ as much as one person's finger prints to another.  The fact is during the first 15 years of this warranty if your bed sags more than 3/4 of 1 inch they replace it at no cost.

Reply #264 Feb 9, 2012 3:00 PM
Jackdog wrote:

@DaveStro, Your statement could not be further from the truth. 

Memory foam is also an open cell structure, which allows the foam to breathe much better than standard poly foam mattresses. Filling memory with gels or other non breatheable materials will reduce how well the mattress breathes. If the foam can not breathe is will hold more mositure causing the mattress to break down and wear out sooner. 

That is an outright lie.  The gel actually helps the the memory foam breathe better which is why it's cooler than regular memory foam.  It is infused into the memory foam, not coated as a barrier and helps retain the open cell structure which dissapates and diffuses the heat and odors.

Another selling point is 20 year warranty. It is actually a 10 year non prorated warranty (Same as most innerspring mattress) and 10 years prorated. So if a manufacturing defect appears in 15 years it will cost you 50% of the value of the mattress to have it repaired or replaced under warranty.

Another lie.  The warranty on the icomfort is 25 years, of which it is full for the first 15 and prorated for the last 10. 

Warranty's have nothing to do with the life of the product and do not cover normal wear and tear.

I am sensing a pattern here.  Warranty's on any product differ as much as one person's finger prints to another.  The fact is during the first 15 years of this warranty if your bed sags more than 3/4 of 1 inch they replace it at no cost.

Oh, I can assure you jackdog, iComfort can sleep quite warm, especially if you're sinking too much into the mattress.

I had an iComfort Revolution for 4 weeks, last July.  I did switch to a think quilt after a couple days because I was much too hot under the top sheet and comforter.  It's not very hot here in the SF Bay Area at night, I would say low 70s when going to bed, not exact #, but close.

The Revolution was too soft for me and led to neck problems over a few weeks.  Even with the thin quilt, I was still too hot sleeping on the bed.

The Revolution was a total loss, I got duped by Sears, having done an exchange from S&F to get the iComfort (they said the 120 risk free trial would allow a return even after an exchange, yeah right), then after the iComfort wasn't working out, customer service over the phone laid out the policy ....

no returns on any beds that were gotten from an exchange.

I sold the iComfort twinXL on craiglist, all of 6 weeks old, for a whopping $175.  Who the heck would pay more?  Just wanted the set out of my house.  I lost $1300 on the ordeal. 

I'll never buy another mattress from Sears, ever.  Nor do I recommend anyone buying into their cheesy 30 day exchange / refund policy.

Here we have real mattress stores that give 100 day, no questions asked returns or exchange, not both.  Not that I like to return or exchange, but that's the kind of store I'll buy beds from here on out.

This message was modified Feb 9, 2012 by slpngoc
Reply #265 Feb 26, 2012 11:19 PM
I purchased the IComfort revolution on 2/20/12 and it was delivered on 2/21/12. I live in palm springs and its hot here..my hsband also sleeps "hot" THIS BED IS NOT HOT AT ALL. But what this bed is ... is THE WORST SMELLING BED EVER. It is now 2/26/12 and not only am i having trouble breathing but my vision is a little blurry, also an extreme headache. Apparently I fall in the "under 1 %" that has this problem. We bought this bed at banner mattress an I called to return it and the salseman said " you have to speak to the guy who sold it to you" REALLY???  I have been sleeping on the couch ..not fun. My whole bedroom smells, it terrible. On a side note however my husband recognizes the smell but does not have any "symptons". I'm sad because I love the comfort. Until tomorrow when "the guy who sold it to me" comes in!
Reply #266 Feb 27, 2012 5:12 PM
Hi... I have the I Comfort Prodigy and in my 5th week with it.. it did have a little bit of a smell when they brought it in so I opened my windows in the bedroom for 1/2 hour and then proceeded to put the mattress pad on and the sheets.. and it was completely gone.   We had 2 free pillows delivered  a few weeks after our purchase and they took appr. 4 days to even attempt to put a case on them.. but I must admit I love the pillows.   I am NOT in love with my bed.   I feel the I Comforts are very over priced and my purchase was on a defective return.  I still can change it out, but the store doesn't have one other bed that I would even consider.   I will live with it a few more months and then dump it in the guest room and move on to some other beast.. I feel you sink in too much and in the store most of the others were even softer.  Two salemen told me not even to lay on two of the beds in this line as he said they are way too soft.    I would love to hear how you are doing with this bed in another few weeks.   I am not impressed at all, think its a big hype for this line because they can charge more especially the one I purchased as it is second to the highest priced one of the line.   Too bad.... love the look of it and like not having to use a bed skirt.. but that's about it on this baby..  I did even mention to the salesmen after a couple of weeks they really shouldn't be touting this new line as one of their better beds in the store and under the Tempurpedics ( which are way too hot to sleep on).. but each time I was in the store they gave the customer a few minutes of wandering around and then led them to the I Comforts or Tempurpedics.. big comissions on these for them..  I am completely fed up with the entire mattress industry..such garbage out there for your $'s....  Good luck will check back to see how you made out.. Pleasant Dreams.!
Reply #267 Feb 28, 2012 8:04 AM
My wife and I purchased the iComfort Revolution and have slept on it for about two months now.  And, we both loved the comfort and soft/firmness!  I have a small back problem and often don't sleep throughout the night.  Now, we both sleep soundly throughout the night.  We also heard that the fixed frame was somewhat flimsy, so we went ahead and bought the adjustable base too.  Wow, this base also has massager built in!   Now, we can prop up our heads and feet in comfort while watching TV or reading a magazine.  The base is pricey, but we felt it was worth the investment. 

Recent Posts