Searching for a mattress in Canada
Mar 24, 2016 5:33 PM
Hello,
Firstly, thank you everyone for all the material that is available here. I have been testing and researching beds for three months now and had some concerns that I couldn't get satisfactory answers for. Coming on this site confirmed some of the issues I had.

I'm looking for a mattress set in Ottawa, Canada and I'd like to buy from a retailer. (I can't purchase online without having an opportunity to try it first.)

I am now looking at a couple of options and would like to get your opinion about each of them and what may be the best. I don't do well with beds that sink at the hips - it causes me back pain. I prefer to be on a level surface and don't wish to sink or have a cradling effect that memory foam offers. So my preference is for innersprings.

Here are the options I am considering:

Kingsdown Knoxville:
-Twice tempered continuous coil (720 coils) quilted to 3" carpenter low emission convoluted foam L.28 with 22 oz hollofill fibre, 1 inch firm low emission carpenter foam flexatron pad. (CAD $639.00)

Kingsdown Tremblant
- 800 pocket coils, airflow foam encased, Quilting with two layers of .5 inch L45 foam and 22 oz silk wool blend
- The comfort layer has 2 flexatron support pads and one inch of L45 foam. (849.00)

(I admit that I am wary of pocket coils dropping at the hips.)

A Canadian company 'Hardy Mattress' will make a queen continuous coil mattress with two inches of foam for (CAD$769.00) for me. They use foam at 1.8, 2.2 or 2.7 density but they recommend 1.8 for anyone under 170 lbs which is the category I fall into. They guarantee that they if I"m not happy with the mattress they make for me, they will either refund if I wish, or readjust the mattress to deal with whatever issue I have. I am thinking that if they are going to make it for me, I should have it made to fit my needs even if the price increases. I think a flippable mattress would be good. Do I need two inches of foam on each side, or would one be sufficient? The covers for their mattress looks like a single sheet of fabric. I think that I should request quilting of some sort so that it gives the mattress more support. Any thoughts?
Re: Searching for a mattress in Canada
Reply #1 Mar 29, 2016 4:30 PM
Mattressoptimist.  Of the three mattresses you mention the one that seems to offer the most flexibility is the third.  That is true mom and pop customization.  Flippable is preferrable over not.  1 vs 2 inches of foam on each side comes down to your personal preference.  You should lay on a model with 1" then try 2".  I don't believe that quilting would add additional support .  How are the reviews for Hardy Mattress?  Mattdud
Reply #2 Mar 29, 2016 7:58 PM
Thank you. I appreciate your input. Hardy's has offered to make something for me to try in the store. If I like it, I'll buy it. Mattress Underground comments about Hardy's as a good local manufacturer, but I haven't seen any reviews. (I guess that since there aren't any negative reviews, that's a good thing.)

A few people have written commenting on the latex they carry.

Cheers,

Mattress Optimist
Reply #3 Apr 4, 2016 11:47 AM
Good luck.  Let me know how it goes for you.  Mattdud
One more thing!
Reply #4 May 31, 2016 3:44 AM
Missed out to say one thing check for warranty
This message was modified May 31, 2016 by edwardcharette

Recent Posts