SavvyRest - don't buy it
Apr 11, 2011 1:49 PM
Savvyrest tried to sell me their dunlop latex.

Their dunlop latex is made in India and seems to be of poor quality.

I had told them I like soft bed and they tried to steer me to Dunlop...!

and their Talalay latex is so much expensive......

Don't Buy SavvyRest....

Re: SavvyRest - don't buy it
Reply #6 Apr 12, 2011 7:02 PM
Richardp, 

Just what do you base you statement about Savvy Rest's poor quality latex on?  Have you slept on one?  Well, I have for a little over 3 years and you are TOTALLY off base.  All of my dunlop pieces were delivered in pristine condition and are in that same condition today. 

XYZ, 

I am still waiting for that apology. 

So, as I understand your post, you are dissing Savvy Rest because someone at one of the multitude of Savvy Rest retailers tried to sell you dunlop processed latex. 

The Savvy Rest site lists probably 50 retail outlets around the country selling their mattresses.  Savvy Rest dealers tend to be very "green".  Do you really think all of these health conscious establishments could stay in business if they sold inferior quality latex?  

Philip  

This message was modified Apr 12, 2011 by Philip
Reply #7 Apr 13, 2011 2:00 AM
I have been researching latex for some time now.  I have actually checked out SavvyRest, spoke to a salesperson there, as well as read many reviews.  Even so, how could I possibly make such a strong comment either way on whether or not to buy a SavvyRest if I never slept on one! I have actually read mostly positive reviews on their latex matts.  To discredit a companies product without trying it seems agenda-driven. 

In my opinion, writing a review should be based on your personal experience with the company and or product of that company.  Not based on what you heard from one or even a few posts. 

It seems as though everytime I read a comment in the forum from this person, I cant help but believe she or he has an agenda of some sort.  SavvyRest seems to be very reputable.  I am personally going to buy from SleepEZ, based on the fact that they are local, and pricing, however, I dont think one would go wrong with most of the companies that are regularly talked about in this forum when it comes to latex. 

Reply #8 Apr 13, 2011 12:45 PM
budgy wrote:

Did I actually recommend you buy that specific mattress, or did I just say it sounds good for the price?

2nd Edit: Actually just read your posts...all 10 of them....first one was made about a month ago...heres the first sentence "I wish I had seen this forum before I made an unfortunate purchase of Innomax White night Organic latex mattress being sold at Samsclub web site. "

How could I or Kimberly have possibly recommended you bought that mattress if you were not on the forum?

100% Correct?

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/reviews/?search=1&type=reviews&string=savvy+rest&x=0&y=0

EDIT: ther than basically a handful of pretty bad reviews...the overwhelming response and reviews on this brand seem extremely positive.  Calling a mattress poor quality because it didn't work for a handful of people isn't too helpful....every mattress in the world is gonna have some negative reviews.  Its unfortunate...but its unavoidable.

Correction: I had seen this forum and after reading kimberelyh and your recommendation I bought the sams club mattress. You see I have been looking for reviews of Innomax mattress and I found a thread though it was not a review and that was the thread here on this forum. Yes, I have slept on Savvyrest dunlop at a friends house and I did not find it of high quality.

Now other people have not liked Tempurpedic mattress and other mattresses and have dissed them and correct me If I am wrong, but you have not criticized them. why is it that you are only criticizing now?

This message was modified Apr 13, 2011 by richardp
Reply #9 Apr 13, 2011 12:50 PM
copaoly wrote:

I have been researching latex for some time now.  I have actually checked out SavvyRest, spoke to a salesperson there, as well as read many reviews.  Even so, how could I possibly make such a strong comment either way on whether or not to buy a SavvyRest if I never slept on one! I have actually read mostly positive reviews on their latex matts.  To discredit a companies product without trying it seems agenda-driven. 

In my opinion, writing a review should be based on your personal experience with the company and or product of that company.  Not based on what you heard from one or even a few posts. 

It seems as though everytime I read a comment in the forum from this person, I cant help but believe she or he has an agenda of some sort.  SavvyRest seems to be very reputable.  I am personally going to buy from SleepEZ, based on the fact that they are local, and pricing, however, I dont think one would go wrong with most of the companies that are regularly talked about in this forum when it comes to latex. 

Well Well, after some reading of other posters posts,  I see that she/he has asked some help from you and you never bothered to reply to her/him? But you jump in gladly to criticize her/him?

Savvyrest is unbelievebaly expensive and Yes Sir, I too say that I find latex made in India is not so high quality. I find it odd that you find it offensive. Every one has their own opinions.

Reply #10 Apr 13, 2011 2:12 PM
So you personally hold me accountable for you not liking the Sam's Club Latex mattress because someone else asked about it and I said it seems to be good for the price?  I never even recommended it to the person who started that thread.  

As far as your questions about Tempur-Pedic I am very quick to talk about the negatives of any polyurethane foam mattress including Tempur-Pedic.  The threads and comments that are made about Tempur-Pedic are also started by individuals that actually purchased the product and are making objective criticism.  If someone came along and started a thread about Tempur-Pedic and it was just called "Tempur-Pedic - don't buy it"  and they go on to explain that they like a soft bed and someone selling Tempur-Pedic recommended to them a firmer Tempur model like the Deluxe mattress instead of something like a Cloud Supreme, and then went on to criticise the brand because they perceive it to be expensive and not to buy the product simply because they didn't agree with the recommendation....I would take issue with that too.  

You are also making comments that are not based on objective information (assuming Indian made latex is of poor quality)...I usually ignore these kinds of things because I can't be bothered to try and comment on every little thing that happens on this website.  But when someone makes a thread about a product that most people are happy with and criticises the whole brand simply because they don't like the recommendation its really negative and not helpful to other people reading the forum. Also because some people may assume that after reading comments like this that all dunlop latex is incredibly firm, when in reality it can also be made fairly soft, soft enough in fact for most people.  

Cocolatex the guys that supply Savvyrest are the 2nd latex supplier in the world to be certified organic behind Latex Green of Sri Lanka.  I won't go so far as saying this means its better than other 100% natural dunlop rubber available but it certainly shows me that if they are willing to spend the money to get certified that they obviously go out of their way to ensure the purity and quality of their end product.  How do we know the reviews when people had issues with sagging it was not caused by excessive perspiration or inadequate bed frames/foundations? Or maybe it was really minor sagging from wool compaction that would happen to any other high quality latex mattress?

EDIT: A post I made on March 29th in a Tempur-Pedic thread:

"TDI (toluene diisocyanate) makes up about 2/3 of the weight of most poly foams, it is toxic. The other 3rd of the weight is some kind of polyol often polypropylene glycol, and then a 3rd required ingredient is some kind of blowing agent to act as a catalyst...the blowing agents used are usually the nastiest chemicals of the bunch but thankfully only make up maybe .5% of the end weight.  Most upholstery grade foam has other chemical additives like formaldehyde to increase its resistance to fire, as regular old poly foam is highly flammable. As far as what you are smelling...I am not sure...Tempur-Pedic does not disclose the exact list of ingredients used, I can only speculate based on how all other polyfoams are made.

The thing about most of these chemicals is that they are actually odourless...even if your mattress stops smelling....it is still giving off various hydrocarbons into the air, and some will ultimately also be absorbed transdermally through our skin.  Unless you LOVE the way these beds feel....I would recommend something with less chemical content.  "

This message was modified Apr 13, 2011 by budgy
Reply #11 Apr 13, 2011 2:39 PM
budgy wrote:

So you personally hold me accountable for you not liking the Sam's Club Latex mattress because someone else asked about it and I said it seems to be good for the price?  I never even recommended it to the person who started that thread.  

As far as your questions about Tempur-Pedic I am very quick to talk about the negatives of any polyurethane foam mattress including Tempur-Pedic.  The threads and comments that are made about Tempur-Pedic are also started by individuals that actually purchased the product and are making objective criticism.  If someone came along and started a thread about Tempur-Pedic and it was just called "Tempur-Pedic - don't buy it"  and they go on to explain that they like a soft bed and someone selling Tempur-Pedic recommended to them a firmer Tempur model like the Deluxe mattress instead of something like a Cloud Supreme, and then went on to criticise the brand because they perceive it to be expensive and not to buy the product simply because they didn't agree with the recommendation....I would take issue with that too.  

You are also making comments that are not based on objective information (assuming Indian made latex is of poor quality)...I usually ignore these kinds of things because I can't be bothered to try and comment on every little thing that happens on this website.  But when someone makes a thread about a product that most people are happy with and criticises the whole brand simply because they don't like the recommendation its really negative and not helpful to other people reading the forum. Also because some people may assume that after reading comments like this that all dunlop latex is incredibly firm, when in reality it can also be made fairly soft, soft enough in fact for most people.  

Cocolatex the guys that supply Savvyrest are the 2nd latex supplier in the world to be certified organic behind Latex Green of Sri Lanka.  I won't go so far as saying this means its better than other 100% natural dunlop rubber available but it certainly shows me that if they are willing to spend the money to get certified that they obviously go out of their way to ensure the purity and quality of their end product.  How do we know the reviews when people had issues with sagging it was not caused by excessive perspiration or inadequate bed frames/foundations? Or maybe it was really minor sagging from wool compaction that would happen to any other high quality latex mattress?

EDIT: A post I made on March 29th in a Tempur-Pedic thread:

"TDI (toluene diisocyanate) makes up about 2/3 of the weight of most poly foams, it is toxic. The other 3rd of the weight is some kind of polyol often polypropylene glycol, and then a 3rd required ingredient is some kind of blowing agent to act as a catalyst...the blowing agents used are usually the nastiest chemicals of the bunch but thankfully only make up maybe .5% of the end weight.  Most upholstery grade foam has other chemical additives like formaldehyde to increase its resistance to fire, as regular old poly foam is highly flammable. As far as what you are smelling...I am not sure...Tempur-Pedic does not disclose the exact list of ingredients used, I can only speculate based on how all other polyfoams are made.

The thing about most of these chemicals is that they are actually odourless...even if your mattress stops smelling....it is still giving off various hydrocarbons into the air, and some will ultimately also be absorbed transdermally through our skin.  Unless you LOVE the way these beds feel....I would recommend something with less chemical content.  "

I never said I hold anyone responsible for the sams club bed. I said I bought it because of that thread.  If someone does not like savvyrest, they should be free to say why. Everyone has their own opinion. Read one of the jimsocal? post where he said (even the softest) dunlop feels like sleeping on a rubber mat and yes he also agress that latex has a lot more pushback that some people may not like. If soft dunlop is so soft then why don't we see dunlop toppers selling on a wide scale?

Reply #12 Apr 13, 2011 3:26 PM
Budgy only said the Sam's Club seemed like a good deal.  He only gives an opinion as we all do on what we read and interpret.  He only gives opinions, which is all any of us can do.

As for Dunlop.  Don't know anything about Savy Rest, only what I have read on their website.  Their prices were too steep for me, so I stopped looking.  My "opinion" on Dunlop is only from my experience on 16ILD Latex Green 2" piece I had.  It was too firm for me.  I then later got a 35ILD LI 2" piece that felt the same.  Therefore I can compare this to a firm piece of latex that can only be used on the bottom layer.   Again, that is for me and it my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

This message was modified Apr 13, 2011 by Leo3
Reply #13 Apr 13, 2011 3:28 PM
richardp wrote:

Well Well, after some reading of other posters posts,  I see that she/he has asked some help from you and you never bothered to reply to her/him? But you jump in gladly to criticize her/him?

Savvyrest is unbelievebaly expensive and Yes Sir, I too say that I find latex made in India is not so high quality. I find it odd that you find it offensive. Every one has their own opinions.

Richard,  I will gladly share my experiences/opinions on the company i am dealing with, or its products,  with people that are truly interested, and have an open mind, or are seeking advice.  I didnt see the point to do so with this particular person...because she/he seems to have a negative outlook on every product she/he speaks of. 

I, like just about everyone else in this forum, are here to learn or give their opinions/advice based on their experiences.  I'v learned a lot by reading reviews and threads on latex by all of these fine people in this forum...and may have many more questions once my mattress arrives.  I have had companies try and up-sell me, or push me to Dunlop latex (Im a Talalay Fan), etc...but I would never think to "bash" companies simply because I dont like what they tried to sell me based on firmness or prices.  I just dont see the point, or how that helps people like me, who are trying to get the best product for my individual needs.

I apologize if I have ruffled feathers.  I was just shocked at the comments.  I hope you, and everyone else in here has a wonderful day.  I still beleive that this forum is a god-send.  Without it, I would have never heard of Companies like Flobeds and SleepEZ etc.  Thank you to everyone!!

Reply #14 Apr 13, 2011 3:58 PM
Leo3 wrote:

Budgy only said the Sam's Club seemed like a good deal.  He only gives an opinion as we all do on what we read and interpret.  He only gives opinions, which is all any of us can do.

As for Dunlop.  Don't know anything about Savy Rest, only what I have read on their website.  Their prices were too steep for me, so I stopped looking.  My "opinion" on Dunlop is only from my experience on 16ILD Latex Green 2" piece I had.  It was too firm for me.  I then later got a 35ILD LI 2" piece that felt the same.  Therefore I can compare this to a firm piece of latex that can only be used on the bottom layer.   Again, that is for me and it my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

Leo

If you dont mind my asking...from which company did you receive your Dunlop??  I have been sent samples from two companies (Dunlop and Talalay blended latex).  Both the dunlop samples were 16ILD.  But one was much firmer than the other.  Although both were firmer then the Talalay soft (20-22ILD), the softest dunlop sample was surprisingly soft...very close in feel to the Medium Talalay. 

Reply #15 Apr 13, 2011 6:34 PM
richardp wrote:

I never said I hold anyone responsible for the sams club bed. I said I bought it because of that thread.  If someone does not like savvyrest, they should be free to say why. Everyone has their own opinion. Read one of the jimsocal? post where he said (even the softest) dunlop feels like sleeping on a rubber mat and yes he also agress that latex has a lot more pushback that some people may not like. If soft dunlop is so soft then why don't we see dunlop toppers selling on a wide scale?

the main reason we do not see a lot of dunlop toppers being sold is for a myriad of reasons.

1. Talalay latex toppers are easier to find.

2. Talalay latex can be made softer than dunlop, and being that the #1 reason for a topper is to make a mattress feel soft it seems like a logical choice to keep the cost reasonable.

3. There are few companies that produce softer dunlop rubbers, as it is challenging to make on a consistent basis.  there are a few companies that injection mould their dunlop rubber cores and they have the ability to make dunlop that is almost as soft as a lower ILD talalay.  most dunlop rubber is not made this way and is why most people find it to be fairly firm...although with all things there are sometimes exceptions...not sure if Savvyrest is or not to be fair though. 

Recent Posts