Savvy Rest report
Jan 10, 2008 3:46 PM
After lurking here and other places and doing lots of research - I finally recieved my latex mattress today. I'd like to add to the discussion by sharing my experiences with a company I haven't read about on this forum and about Dunlop latex. We went with a three layer 100% DUNLOP (yes, Dunlop, not Talalay) mattress from Savvy Rest via The Natural Sleep Store. We got a queen size with split firm (ILD 40), medium (ILD 35) and soft (ILD 30) layers. The cover is made of organic cotton quilted to organic wool. The total was $1849 including shipping - more than SleepEZ or some of the other online retailers but less than other organic latex mattresses.We got free UPS shipping through The Natural Sleep Store (which would have been $219 from Savvy Rest directly) plus a gift certificate for $160.00 that could be used toward bedding at their store.

So far, I really like the mattress. It is just the right firmness. I don't think we would want anything softer than this configuration. We went with Dunlop even though there is so much more information about Talalay because we were more concerned about getting something too soft rather than too firm. I'll report on how we like the mattress in a few weeks. We went from years of futons that needed to be replaced every few years so this seems extremely comfy. Our latest futon had gotten really hard so we started researching other options and finally settled on the Savvy Rest.

I can't really write a full review until sleeping on the mattress for a while - but I can review the customer service. There is a huge amount of information on the Savvy Rest web site and on the Natural Sleep Store web site as well as organicmattressreviews.com. I considered SleepEZ, FloBeds, Foam Sweet Foam, Foam Source and a couple of other places and finally settled on Savvy Rest. I would have considered FloBeds if they carried Dunlop latex. My concern with SleepEZ and some of the other places was that while they described their latex in great detail, they were a little sketchy about the covers and what they used for flame retardants. I decided to narrow my search to stores that described their covers and/or had options for different covers. FloBeds had several cover choices and reasonable prices, but I really wanted natural Dunlop rather than Talalay. Both FloBeds and Savvy Rest made it clear that they didn't use chemicals in addition to the wool for fire retardant material.

First, I looked at the web sites, read reviews and got samples from Savvy Rest. They seemed professional and informative. I spoke directly to a woman at Savvy Rest (can't remember her name right now) and she was very knowledgeable and told me some things that made me buy a softer mattress than I had intended to. I'm glad I took her advice. She said most of their exchanges were for softer layers and that she couldn't recommend anything firmer than medium, medium, firm - and that would be quite firm in Dunlop. She also said that the Dunlop is a bit firmer on one side than the other so you could further customize by turning one or more layer over. The side with the larger holes is firmer than the side with the smaller holes. I haven't experimented with it yet so I can't confirm if the difference is noticeable but I thought it was interesting.

The mattress came in three 2x2x3 boxes which the UPS guy hauled into the house for me. They were immaculate and clearly labled on the outside with computer printed stickers and magic marker. The first box as the heaviest at 60 pounds and contained the cotton and wool cover along with the soft layer and the assembly instructions which were in a zip lock bag taped to the top of the box. The other two layers were around 53 pounds each and clearly labled in the other two boxes. Each of the half layers were in separate plastic bags and were NOT vacuum packed. They were just kind of loosely rolled and very easy to remove from the boxes. Every half layer was labled with an F, M or S.I was really impressed with the attention to detail.

I called my husband to come home early to hoist the boxes up into the bedroom and help me put the bed together. It probably took us less than half an hour to put it together. I really think the split layers were easier to handle than the full layers would have been. The top of the case is thick enough that we don't feel the split - even without a mattress pad.

That's enough to bore you for now. I am really happy with this purchase. It is one of the best experiences I've had buying something online. We just didn't find anything comparable locally.

Cheers,
Marie
Re: Savvy Rest report
Reply #45 Oct 10, 2009 11:03 PM
richiro wrote:
MattressMom,

So I was just curious if you were still around and how your Savvy Rest is working out a few months later?
Would enjoy hearing more stories/reviews about mattresses after people have had them a while.

FYI.  I've decided to go with Savvy Rest and it should be here in a couple weeks.

Richey

Richey -

We ordered from Savvy Rest today! And what a journey it was to make this decision as had also considered SleepEZ.

So how is the dunlop working for you and pls remind us of your configuration & whether you've done any exchanges.

We too  ordered dunlop, king split. His side: F/F/M  My side: F/M/S 

asked them to try to hand select firms with closest to ILD of 40 as possible, as feel 36 would not be enough for hubby's bad back.  I also asked for my soft layer to be in the higher range of soft ILD so it's not too soft. (the soft in the store seemed too soft to me)

PLEASE post your thoughts now that you've been sleeping on it for a bit...

Tks
This message was modified Oct 10, 2009 by catlover
Reply #46 Oct 17, 2009 1:47 AM
Got our Savvy mattress/foundation today & about to go to bed to try it out!

First impressions:

SAVVY REST is a FIRST CLASS operation. And they obviously know how to choose trucking companies! Competent and courteous. Professional.(there were 2 shippers involved & both super)

Order placed with Michael Penny last Sat. I got email w/tracking # on Wed with tracking number.
Bed arrived today (Friday)  That's 6 days & included a Sunday and a holiday!  Wow!
The final trucker gave us a 4 hour window for delivery time - great in that my hubby could go to work at least part of the day... (I actually called shipper on Thursday because they have to give 24 hr advance notice for home delivery (as opposed to businesses) before they delivery.  In my case, by the time they got it from 1st shipper, the 24 hrs would mean after the weekend for our delivery, but they said "how's tomorrow (Friday) , between 10 and 3 pm?" I never expected a trucking company to make an exception like this - or even care for that matter.

And not only a 4 hr window, but the driver would call 30 mins ahead. At 11:00 am.  friendly Sean called to say he's 30 mins away. And he didn't drop ship at our curb, he assessed the huge pine tree boughs and chanced driving into our driveway so he could place the boxes at our front entry instead of the curb. His only concern was the low phone wire crossing the driveway and embedded in some of the pine tree branches. I think he got out of his box truck about 5 times to ensure no damage would be done.  What a nice guy!

Now the bed:
The 5 boxes consisted of three boxes of latex and cover,  & 2  boxed held foundations.  All boxes were sturdy, securely taped, strapped & marked. They were very heavy, so my hubby used his hand-truck to get them up to our 2nd floor. I suppose 2 men could have done this without the hand-truck. We removed the foundations from their boxes in the foyer, keeping the plastic cover on, and I was able to help carry them up the stairs.

Savvy plastered each box with colorful stickers, in different colors, that said "DO NOT FORKLIFT", "DO NOT STACK" and something else I can't recall. Impressive.

Each latex layer was loose (not vacuum compressed) but each was in a clear plastic bag. Each layer had a Firm, Med or Soft sticker on it's end. The cover was also in clear plastic, as were the foundations (which are nicely covered/padded to match cover)

The Dunlop latex looks good and I like the slight aroma. Fresh-clean scent IMO. Not overpowering rubber smell at all..

Bed was a snap to put together by the 2 of us. Split layers probably help that process a bit.  The zipper went around as easily as shown in the video!

The only minor problem was that we received one wrong layer (a medium instead of a firm), but we think bed is firm enough as it is, so we cancelled our initial call to Savvy to correct this.

Our latex is DUNLOP-processed & was to be a king split F/F/M and F/M/S, but we ended up with F/M/M and F/M/S, & it will stay this way unless it gets softer in the next couple of days...it's very firm/supportive!

If you have a bad back & feel you need F/F/M, trust me - you DO NOT!  Get the Dunlop but go softer - just like their site suggests (I didn't listen because I thought my DH was the one exception who really, truly needed the F/F/M! His initial impression is that it's firm enough & he wants to sleep on it just as it is now at F/M/M. (I can't tell the difference from my side to his, but he can - and we weigh about the same.)

To finalize - at this point, I have to say that my impression of Savvy Rest, thus far, is that we made the right decision! Savvy gets all A's for effort & caring about details...

Now for the test of sleep! Part Two tomorrow....
This message was modified Oct 17, 2009 by catlover
Reply #47 Oct 17, 2009 2:05 AM
catlover said "The Dunlop latex looks good and I like the slight aroma. Fresh-clean scent IMO. Not overpowering rubber smell at all."

catlover: I am curious how the Dunlop layers looked in a little more detail if you would. Were there any imperfections? Any cracks, cuts,or tears? Any discoloration of any kind?

It is my understanding that 100% natural botanically grown latex, whether it's Talalay process, or Dunlop process, will have some minor imperfections. Not pristine looking. It is my understanding that the only way you can get pristine looking latex is with a blended product. But then you have a product that has a distinct rubber chemical odor, due to the fact that it is at least 60% petrochemical-based latex.

I know that the Talalay I receive from FloBeds had a few of these imperfections. And the smell you mentioned is exactly the way I would describe it. A very slight sweet smell, something like cookie dough. I rather liked it.
This message was modified Oct 17, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #48 Oct 17, 2009 2:47 AM
hi Eagle!

I should have taken photos but we just wanted to get the bed together.

I can't compare to Talalay, but I'm very fussy and I, having read all the info about imperfections, was super impressed that the dunlop looked so good! I was expecting numerous burn marks from the pins, but unless I missed something, there were hardly any to be seen. And there were no tears/rips. I did cause a slight tear by my own carelessness, but it's tiny.

The one unexpected thing was that the dunlop is zoned. It seems to be just 3 zones, and I do recall Michael Penny telling me (I asked believe it or not!) and he said because no one can tell the difference, he doesn't advertise it as zoned. Truthfully, I didn't pay much attention to the holes as we were assembling, so I now wonder if all the layers had  zoning!  We will be turning around a couple of layers when I wash the sheets again, so I'll take note and photos at that time. I don't believe this will be an issue at all at this point.

The neat thing is that we also have the option of turning over each layer because dunlop tends to have an even firmer side to each layer, as the holes are larger on one side, which is said to a bit firmer. We did put the soft and one medium with large holes up, so I'm betting we'll be flipping them to smaller holes up as bed is firm and we probably didn't need to do that.

How are you sleeping?

It's 2:35 am & I'm finally heading up to some latex sleep!
Lynn
Reply #49 Oct 17, 2009 3:16 AM
Grats on the new bed!  Please be sure to report back again after sleeping on it a few days.
Reply #50 Oct 18, 2009 2:18 PM
KimberlyH wrote:
Grats on the new bed!  Please be sure to report back again after sleeping on it a few days.

Last night was 2nd nite on our Savvy Rest Serenity & both slept well each night...

Both of us are usually stiff upon standing first thing, but agree that after 2 nites, we both feel a bit less stiff. (I had none, but he is the one we got bed for due to degenerative disc problems & new symptom from body immpressions in our 6 yr old "high quality" innerspring that caused shooting nerve pain down his left side. He ended up sleeping on the floor on a firm chaise pad & that pain went away.)

It's still too early to make a final determination, but after 2 nights, all is good & we have our fingers crossed.

I think our main concerns are: Will the latex soften up will body impressions develop?  My research points to neither likely to occur for tens of years & the fact that we both weight under 180 lbs, make this even less likely.

Because I want to know if we could ever sleep on a cushier top without developing back issues, we will try a 2" 32 ILD Talalay layer when sheets are changed. (Got a layer from Foambymail last month when we thought we were buying a Beckley all cotton innerspring that would have been rock firm & needing a topper)

I also plan on turning my top soft layer so that the smaller pinholes are on top.I put large ones on top which makes it a bit firmer with Dunlop (& giving even more combos).  DH also put both of his medium layerswith large holes up to try to make up for Savvy sending a medium instead of a firm layer for his middle layer. He might also flip his to see if his back can handle a bit softer. I think it's probably negligible, but we'll give it a try.
Reply #51 Oct 18, 2009 2:52 PM
Lynn said: "How are you sleeping?" Quite well Lynn, thank you.

My current configuration is, on the right side of the bed, m/ef/ef, and on the left side of the bed, f/f/ef. I am still enjoying having two different firmness levels to experiment with. I very well may leave it just this way, as things are going along so well at this point in time.

The experience that you have illustrated regarding getting up in the morning and feeling "less stiff" is the same thing I'm experiencing. As I stated in another thread, I think the greatest accolade for any bed is this. "I look forward to going to bed, and come time to get up in the morning, I want to stay in bed!"

For me that says more than all the technical data in the world. The old saying always applies, "What works for you?"

It's interesting that you say you're Dunlop layers were pristine looking, no imperfections whatsoever. I could not say that about the Talalay layers that I received from FloBeds, there were a few minor imperfections. I was told that this is common for all 100% botanically grown latex. My guess is, it all depends on how much culling out is done at the manufacturing level,and then again by the company that puts the pieces together as sold to the consumer.

It's good to hear that your bed is sleeping comfortably for both you and your husband. I have a bad back and have had sciatic nerve problems in the past. This can be quite painful and if not taken care of can turn you into a semi-invalid. So it's incredibly important to make sure that whatever is wrong does not progress. A great mattress is the first step in that corrective process.
This message was modified Oct 18, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #52 Oct 19, 2009 8:40 PM
eagle2 wrote:
Lynn said: "How are you sleeping?" Quite well Lynn, thank you.

My current configuration is, on the right side of the bed, m/ef/ef, and on the left side of the bed, f/f/ef. I am still enjoying having two different firmness levels to experiment with. I very well may leave it just this way, as things are going along so well at this point in time.

The experience that you have illustrated regarding getting up in the morning and feeling "less stiff" is the same thing I'm experiencing. As I stated in another thread, I think the greatest accolade for any bed is this. "I look forward to going to bed, and come time to get up in the morning, I want to stay in bed!"

For me that says more than all the technical data in the world. The old saying always applies, "What works for you?"

It's interesting that you say you're Dunlop layers were pristine looking, no imperfections whatsoever. I could not say that about the Talalay layers that I received from FloBeds, there were a few minor imperfections. I was told that this is common for all 100% botanically grown latex. My guess is, it all depends on how much culling out is done at the manufacturing level,and then again by the company that puts the pieces together as sold to the consumer.

It's good to hear that your bed is sleeping comfortably for both you and your husband. I have a bad back and have had sciatic nerve problems in the past. This can be quite painful and if not taken care of can turn you into a semi-invalid. So it's incredibly important to make sure that whatever is wrong does not progress. A great mattress is the first step in that corrective process.

Glad to hear that you are quite satisfied!

I  shouldn't have used the term "pristine" when describing our dunlop layers because we truly didn't peruse them all that much - we were so focused on the assembly we ignored that aspect. However, I think we would have noticed anything glaring - especially burn marks or discoloration. I will certainly take a closer look with the morning sun when I change the sheets & turn a few layers over...

I do recall that Michael Penny (Savvy's owner) or his son, Gopal, told me that they have someone (and gave me his name which I didn't jot down) at the Coco Latex plant who does the "culling" for Savvy & they  have established a very good rapport with him. Seems so as far as I can tell without my magnifying glass! lol

Sleep well & enjoy those configurations!
Savvy update
Reply #53 Oct 25, 2009 3:12 PM
It's been 9 days since our Savvy Rest dunlop split king arrived, and we are sleeping comfortably!

A few things I can add to my previous posts:

We originally configured our top layers (soft my side; medium his side) with larger holes facing up because we were told this is slightly firmer. I was afraid my soft top layer might be too soft, so I put larger holes up. 

Just for fun, when I changed the sheets I reconfigured, so now it's:
Me: Firm (small holes up) over Medium (small holes up) over Soft (large holes up).
Him: Firm (small holes up) over Medium (large holes up) over Medium (small holes up)

My hubby's side was supposed to be F/F/M but Savvy sent a medium middle layer in error. We are testing it out before asking for the firm piece & all is good so far. We did place his middle medium layer with the large holes up to make up for having F/M/M instead of F/F/M.

Each layer has a side with large holes (skin side) and a side with smaller holes. The smaller holed-sides are zoned.  

I can feel a slightly softer difference with smaller holes up, but my hubby says he can hardly tell. But he CAN tell the difference between his side and mine (medium versus soft tops).  His side does feel firmer to me.

I'm clueless about the zoning, but Savvy Rest told me no one can tell the difference, which is why the zoning isn't mentioned on his site. At this point, I have to agree with him, but I wonder what it's all about just the same.

The dunlop is very comfortable. Not rock hard as someone said somewhere & almost scared me off!  The dunlop is firm & supportive, yet gently yielding.  It feels just about perfect

Most important: there was no adjustment period for either of us. None of the usual problems with feeling bruised when a new bed is too hard. Big relief there.

On caveat - when I tuck the sheets each day,  my fingers butt up against the wood on the foundation so I have to slightly lift the mattress to keep my fingers from jamming into wood of the foundation. I hate this & will probably end up putting a mattress pad on the foundation. (Are all foundations like this? We have only had box springs in the past.) The foundation sides are nicely covered/padded with same as cover, but I'm not sure it goes up and over the top of the foundation. If it does, then it needs more cushioning. I'm too lazy to go double check but I do know that whatever is there, is not enough to avoid finger-jamming when tucking. I will alert Savvy Rest to this as they do really care about their product. This isn't anything that can't be corrected.

Hopefully, you will be able to see the zoning in 4th photo. Note the nice quality of the dunlop, and the larger holes of the "bottom" side of each piece. We now have smaller, zoned side facing up on all but one layer. Sorry but my clear, wonderful photos have denegrated with photobucket for reasons beyond my abilities. The original photos are clear, crisp and perfect.

go to my flicker account to see the photos. (i deleted the ones that were shown here as quality was awful..)
http://flickr.com/gp/44106409@N08/28P8qv

This message was modified Oct 27, 2009 by catlover
Reply #54 Oct 25, 2009 7:40 PM
catlover: Thank you for the pictures. It would have been nice however had you made them of a slightly higher resolution, as it is difficult to really ascertain any details with pictures that have been so greatly downsized.

I am glad that you are happy with your mattress. I believe Savvy Rest is a quality company selling a quality product.

This is my first experience with a latex mattress. I have one problem however. Every configuration that I try I tend to like. This is making it most difficult to decide what is the ultimate firmness for my various layers. Problems, problems. Oh well, I'll just have to soldier on!

Recent Posts