Savvy Rest report
Jan 10, 2008 3:46 PM
After lurking here and other places and doing lots of research - I finally recieved my latex mattress today. I'd like to add to the discussion by sharing my experiences with a company I haven't read about on this forum and about Dunlop latex. We went with a three layer 100% DUNLOP (yes, Dunlop, not Talalay) mattress from Savvy Rest via The Natural Sleep Store. We got a queen size with split firm (ILD 40), medium (ILD 35) and soft (ILD 30) layers. The cover is made of organic cotton quilted to organic wool. The total was $1849 including shipping - more than SleepEZ or some of the other online retailers but less than other organic latex mattresses.We got free UPS shipping through The Natural Sleep Store (which would have been $219 from Savvy Rest directly) plus a gift certificate for $160.00 that could be used toward bedding at their store.

So far, I really like the mattress. It is just the right firmness. I don't think we would want anything softer than this configuration. We went with Dunlop even though there is so much more information about Talalay because we were more concerned about getting something too soft rather than too firm. I'll report on how we like the mattress in a few weeks. We went from years of futons that needed to be replaced every few years so this seems extremely comfy. Our latest futon had gotten really hard so we started researching other options and finally settled on the Savvy Rest.

I can't really write a full review until sleeping on the mattress for a while - but I can review the customer service. There is a huge amount of information on the Savvy Rest web site and on the Natural Sleep Store web site as well as organicmattressreviews.com. I considered SleepEZ, FloBeds, Foam Sweet Foam, Foam Source and a couple of other places and finally settled on Savvy Rest. I would have considered FloBeds if they carried Dunlop latex. My concern with SleepEZ and some of the other places was that while they described their latex in great detail, they were a little sketchy about the covers and what they used for flame retardants. I decided to narrow my search to stores that described their covers and/or had options for different covers. FloBeds had several cover choices and reasonable prices, but I really wanted natural Dunlop rather than Talalay. Both FloBeds and Savvy Rest made it clear that they didn't use chemicals in addition to the wool for fire retardant material.

First, I looked at the web sites, read reviews and got samples from Savvy Rest. They seemed professional and informative. I spoke directly to a woman at Savvy Rest (can't remember her name right now) and she was very knowledgeable and told me some things that made me buy a softer mattress than I had intended to. I'm glad I took her advice. She said most of their exchanges were for softer layers and that she couldn't recommend anything firmer than medium, medium, firm - and that would be quite firm in Dunlop. She also said that the Dunlop is a bit firmer on one side than the other so you could further customize by turning one or more layer over. The side with the larger holes is firmer than the side with the smaller holes. I haven't experimented with it yet so I can't confirm if the difference is noticeable but I thought it was interesting.

The mattress came in three 2x2x3 boxes which the UPS guy hauled into the house for me. They were immaculate and clearly labled on the outside with computer printed stickers and magic marker. The first box as the heaviest at 60 pounds and contained the cotton and wool cover along with the soft layer and the assembly instructions which were in a zip lock bag taped to the top of the box. The other two layers were around 53 pounds each and clearly labled in the other two boxes. Each of the half layers were in separate plastic bags and were NOT vacuum packed. They were just kind of loosely rolled and very easy to remove from the boxes. Every half layer was labled with an F, M or S.I was really impressed with the attention to detail.

I called my husband to come home early to hoist the boxes up into the bedroom and help me put the bed together. It probably took us less than half an hour to put it together. I really think the split layers were easier to handle than the full layers would have been. The top of the case is thick enough that we don't feel the split - even without a mattress pad.

That's enough to bore you for now. I am really happy with this purchase. It is one of the best experiences I've had buying something online. We just didn't find anything comparable locally.

Cheers,
Marie
Re: Savvy Rest report
Reply #35 Aug 12, 2009 6:41 PM
MattressMom,

So I was just curious if you were still around and how your Savvy Rest is working out a few months later?
Would enjoy hearing more stories/reviews about mattresses after people have had them a while.

FYI.  I've decided to go with Savvy Rest and it should be here in a couple weeks.

Richey
Reply #36 Aug 28, 2009 1:09 PM
richiro wrote:
MattressMom,

So I was just curious if you were still around and how your Savvy Rest is working out a few months later?
Would enjoy hearing more stories/reviews about mattresses after people have had them a while.

FYI.  I've decided to go with Savvy Rest and it should be here in a couple weeks.

Richey

Richey: I am wondering how your Savvy Rest mattress is working out as you should have it by now and have had a chance to sleep on it.

How does it compare to the habitat latex bed you returned because it was to soft? What configuration did you decide on with Savvy Rest?
Reply #37 Aug 28, 2009 2:03 PM
Dear Richey and any others with comments,

Can you let me know how your SaavyRest is working out (and what your particular needs body-wise are, and which configuration you ordered)? I bought From Flo Beds and they have GREAT customer service. Wonderful people, very helpful and kind. After lots of research (needed all organic), I was trying to decide between them and Saavy Rest, and went with Flo Beds because of their return policy. I did not expect to have to return it, but since I could not check out either company/bed in person (although they were both very helpful on the phone), I felt better having a return policy. The last bed I ordered I slept on without trying and have not been all that happy in the long run.

I've slept on latex a lot--both as a child and very young adult, and then the past decade again (after years of futons and an innerspring). Anyway, I believe I've always had Dunlap, and the talaly is quite different, and I'm not sure it's working for me. I now need quite a soft bed on top but with firm support. I've had my new FloBed for 2 1/2 months and have to decide whether to keep, or return as unfortunately FloBeds does not carry dunlap). Although I think I would still choose talay for the top layer, I may need dunlap for the rest. Problem is no one carries the talay/dunlap Saavy Rest combination in my area and I can't travel out of state. I much prefer not to exchange my current FloBed, but am worried long term. Also the soft top layer seems to get quite compressed in the middle (although it eventually bounces back by the next night), but the medium on top is not soft enough for me. I have tried numerous combinations with the layers I have, but can't seem to get it right. My bed is on a slat frame (1 by 4's about 1-1/2 inches apart)

Linda
Reply #38 Aug 28, 2009 10:56 PM
Linda, I hope you can find a comfortable combination with flobeds.
The only thing I can think of is that you consider buying a piece of dunlop to just use for your top layer? If it doesn't work you can always keep it for padding  a guest bed or ?

I'll say this:
I could not sleep on my flobeds latex/memory foam mattress. I tried every combination and it just did not work for me. Great company though!

They gave me ZERO problem about returning it and I got my refund minus shipping in a timely manner. As a result I constantly recommend them to people even though it didn't work out for me. I guess that's what they have learned: that giving a good no-hassle return/refund is the way to get customers and gain customer loyalty and good word-of-mouth. I wish more companies would operate like that!

If they'd offer a spring-based model I would have tried that. Some day I might try their water bed, but it seems very pricey. Most of my adult life I slept on waterbeds of various types and loved them. Finally got tired of leaks (probably just got a poorly manufactured one, a lemon) so I switched to regular mattresses and then foam. Some day I'll try a waterbed again. [I know: they call them "flotation systems" now...]
Reply #39 Aug 28, 2009 11:22 PM
Jimsocial and Linda:

I have no idea which of the FlowBeds you both have purchased. The one I have looked at with FlowBeds was the all natural 4 layer mattress. This mattress has a top layer that is a two inch soft convoluted Talalay. The three layers beneath the top layer can be any degree of firmness you wish to have. They even have an extra firm layer that is a blend of Talalay and synthetic Talalay to get a more firm consistency. So I do not know why you cannot have a soft top layer and anything from soft to extra firm beneath this top layer.

So I would think that if you have this mattress you can have a soft top layer and any degree of firmness under it that will work for you. As you have both mentioned the customer service at Flowbeds is excellent and they will do everything they can to keep you happy. I would recommend that you call and talk to either Dave Turner the owner or his son Dewey. I have talked to both of them and they were very helpful.

But you're both right, if you do not like Talalay you're out of luck with FlowBeds as they only handle Talalay.

Savvy Rest handles both Talalay and Dunlop. The Talalay is more expensive and they do not have a return policy for the whole bed although they do have an exchange policy for 90 days on the different firmness layers. It seems the laws in Virginia, where Savvy Rest is located, do not allow a re-issuance of mattresses. They have to be ground up into pillows or used as samples. Given the cost of natural latex rubber one can see why they do not have a return policy.

I wish you both the best of luck getting a mattress that works for you.

Don
This message was modified Aug 28, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #40 Aug 29, 2009 12:27 AM
Thanks Jimsocal and Don for your comments. I have the all natural talalay with 3 3" layers and the thin convulted ("eggcrate") talaly on top. I have a chronic illness and pain and need quite a soft top layer but with very good support overall. I sleep primarily on my side (and some on my back) and am 5'51/2", about 130 lbs.

I have the 2 sides of a queen set up differently so have tried every possible combination I think! Nothing works unless I have soft on top ; have tried medium on top and it's just not soft enough for me (in terms of relieving pressure points). Currently, on the side I sleep on, I have it set up with soft on top, then 2 firms, which is the combination I've slept the most on.

This combo is not ideal, as it's still a little too firm for some nerve pain & pressure point problems. But the best I can do it seems. I've tried soft on top followed by medium, then firm on the bottom (also tried X-firm on bottom). But those combos are too squishy and lacking in support.

I agree that both Dave and Dewey are very helpful, though I'm not sure what else I can try with them.

Jimsocal, why didn't Flobeds talalay work for you? I do agree that they are a great company and would recommend them to anyone wanting all-talalay. Well, I have about 2 weeks to decide if I think it's going to work long-term... I truly thought all talalay was going to be great, but perhaps I need Dunlap, but without having a bed to try, I don't know...

I wish there were more threads comparing dunlap with talalay, and in particular a dunlap/tallay combo....
Linda
Reply #41 Aug 29, 2009 1:03 AM
Jim, did you try dunlap foam as well as the talalay you tried from flobds? And were either/both of them the all-natural or mixed?
Thaks,
Linda
Reply #42 Aug 29, 2009 12:41 PM
linda wrote:
Thanks Jimsocal and Don for your comments. I have the all natural talalay with 3 3" layers and the thin convulted ("eggcrate") talaly on top. I have a chronic illness and pain and need quite a soft top layer but with very good support overall. I sleep primarily on my side (and some on my back) and am 5'51/2", about 130 lbs.

I have the 2 sides of a queen set up differently so have tried every possible combination I think! Nothing works unless I have soft on top ; have tried medium on top and it's just not soft enough for me (in terms of relieving pressure points). Currently, on the side I sleep on, I have it set up with soft on top, then 2 firms, which is the combination I've slept the most on.

This combo is not ideal, as it's still a little too firm for some nerve pain & pressure point problems. But the best I can do it seems. I've tried soft on top followed by medium, then firm on the bottom (also tried X-firm on bottom). But those combos are too squishy and lacking in support.

I agree that both Dave and Dewey are very helpful, though I'm not sure what else I can try with them.

Jimsocal, why didn't Flobeds talalay work for you? I do agree that they are a great company and would recommend them to anyone wanting all-talalay. Well, I have about 2 weeks to decide if I think it's going to work long-term... I truly thought all talalay was going to be great, but perhaps I need Dunlap, but without having a bed to try, I don't know...

I wish there were more threads comparing dunlap with talalay, and in particular a dunlap/tallay combo....
Linda

Linda: It sounds as if you have tried a lot to find your comfort zone. However FlowBeds has more combinations than almost any other company, except for no Dunlop. They have the Zone latex pieces and even the blended synthetic Talalay  foam pieces that give a variety of firmness levels. They even have the Euro-Slat foundation that has an adjustable flexibility built into it. This of course would be an upcharge item I am sure, but as you have already found out, David Turner is a very good businessman and will do most everything he can to have a satisfied customer. And no, I do not work for them, and have not purchased from them. But I did spend some time talking to both Dave and Dewey about my concerns. I found him to be very professional, knowledgeable, and willing to help. So I would go back to them and discuss these issues with them.

I understand your concerns about the difference between Talalay and Dunlop. They are mine as well. I do not have a dealer locally so that I can try the mattresses in a showroom. I did drive out of state to a company that handles Savvy Rest. They were the closest company to where I live and it was over two hours to their location. Unfortunately they did not have an all Talalay bed that I could try out. They believe in Dunlop and only had a topper that was pure Talalay. I did find this topper quite comfortable, but it was on top of Dunlop and very expensive as it has its own cover.

I am going to try out an all Dunlop bed. Hopefully by having one side that is all soft Dunlop, in a California King size mattress, and the other side soft with two medium layers, I will find a combination that works for me. I am going to be very difficult to please as I have spent over 20 years on a water bed. I sometimes wonder why I have allowed myself to get into this convoluted experience.  So..... I Hear You and your frustration.
This message was modified Aug 29, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #43 Sep 28, 2009 9:57 PM
Someone posted incorrect info about Savvy Rest -
I am about to order from Savvy Rest and
You can do as many exchanges as you want for 90 days! (you do have to pay for shipping but that's only fair IMHO They do suggest you give yourself a few days to adjust before exchanging)

It is correct that Savvy allows no returns. One needs to spend some time on the configuration to try to avoid exchanging. Split layers for each side seems the logical way to go because you then have so many possible combos to try out if you order a few different firmnesses.  Savvy has a "choose the right firmness" page for guidance on what might be best for your particular needs.

One does have to pay for shipping on exchanges (twin is $90 via UPS - they send new layer apparently & a label, so you use that box to send back via UPS (so if you have a split king - you only pay for a twin layer shipping which really saves money on that exchange)

I'm hoping to get it right the first time...we'll see!

What I like about Savvy Rest:
We need the firmess/support that Dunlap offers over Talalay BUT if we find that the soft top layer is still too firm, we can swap for Talalay so that's an added bonus!

They sell 100% natural unblended Dunlap & Talalay - no synthetic blending. Their site has a couple good videos of a bed being set up and the plant in India where the latex is grown/processed. 

We need firm for hubby's bad back, and my minor sore back, so our split king will be for hubby: F/M/M and me: F/M/S   Tons of possibilities withing those combos. My guess is that we may have to get hubby soft exchange but he wants to start out firmer. I was going to get him F/F/M but that is not recommended & I'm trying to take the advice! LOL
This message was modified Oct 17, 2009 by catlover
Reply #44 Sep 29, 2009 12:15 AM
Sleep EZ has a pretty good rep on this board, but you are right they do seem to prefer blended latex. It would be great if we could get truthful, in depth information from someone who really new what they were talking about (scientific perspective) regarding this subject of blended vs.100% natural latex.

Catlover: When you get your Savvy Rest mattress, report back and tell us what the cores look like, as well as your sensation regarding Dunlop as a sleeping surface.
This message was modified Sep 29, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts