Sams Club: Serene Comfort vs Classic Dream
Sep 6, 2011 1:04 PM
I have been searching for new latex or memory foam mattress.  I am looking at two similarly priced models at Sams Club and have a couple of questions about them.

The Classic Dream Standard Top model is a latex mattress that comes with a 20 year warranty.  However, no info is provided about thickness or density of the "premium latex" layer.

The Serene Comfort model is a "open cell" memory foam mattress that apparently does not retain too much body heat (very important to me). The specs clearly state that the top layer is 3 inches of 5+ lb high density foam (9 inches of 2 lb density foam for the support layer).  Yet the warranty for this model is only for 10 years.

1. Does anyone know the density of the latex in that Classic Dream model?

2. How does the durability of that compare to the durability of 5+ lb high density open cell memory foam (and is that the reason for the difference in the warranty periods)?

I am also trying to track more information about the Scandanavian series of mattresses by May & Co. based in Indianapolis, IN because a small, local furniture store carries this brand.  I've found very few reviews of recent products from this manufacturer and older ones seemed to question the durability of these mattresses.  It does look like the current models (Sandmahn, Stockholm, Anniversary, Oslo, etc.) use a 5 lb synthetic latex/foam.  Unfortunately, there are so many layers of "Resilitex" and "Bioflex" foam/latex I am having difficulty sorting it all out.  Could someone provide some more insight into this product line and/or point me to some additional resources?

Re: Sams Club: Serene Comfort vs Classic Dream
Reply #1 Sep 7, 2011 12:34 PM
Replying to my own post.  Classic Dream appears to be the Natural Flex 940 manufactured by Boyd.  I contacted them and they indicated that all their latex is 4 lbs.
Reply #2 Sep 7, 2011 11:10 PM
For information on the Classic Dream one reviewer suggests this is the Boyd Specialty Sleep #935 that appears to be 1 inch of "natural" latex, 2 inches of "engineered" latex and an unspecified thickness of "convoluted engineered" latex similar to egg crate foam.  The picture on Sam's Club is more similar to the 935 than the 940 but perhaps the 940 is what they're shipping now. Boyd seems to be big on the term "engineered" when referring to their latex although it's not clear if that means Talalay or Dunlop process, all natural or blend.

At a price point of $614 for a queen mattress you are in the ball park of an all latex mattress from Foam By Mail.  Say $582 for a 6 inch [36 ILD = medium firm] and $182 for a 2 inch [20 ILD = soft] topper you're at $764 plus $20 for the upgrade terry cover = $784.  When you figure in sales tax at Sam's Club (none at FBM) it's only $150 more for a 100% talalay latex mattress at FBM.

The Serene Comfort memory foam option at Sam's is 3 inches of 5 lbs visco foam similar to the original Temperpedic's and is likely to feel firm.  The 4 lbs Aerus mattress I bought was only $400 but it didn't include the wood slat foundation like the Serene (we just put it in the RV and haven't actually slept on it yet.)  If you poke around the FBM site you'll notice you can order 3 inches of 5 lbs memory foam on a 5 inch HD poly foam base (glued together) with the terry cloth cover for about $342.  In the 4 lbs memory foam (a little softer feel) its only $270.

The latex will probably last twice as long as the memory foam but I'm a cynic on any mattress warranty.  You're next best step would be to try a memory foam and a latex bed to see how you like the feel.

This message was modified Sep 7, 2011 by SleepLikeADog
Reply #3 Sep 8, 2011 10:52 AM
Yes, that appears to be correct.  Thanks for the clarification.  The "standard top" Classic Dream looks like the 935 and the "eurotop" looks like the 940.  Sams carries both.

Your description of the 935 seems spot on.

The 940 has a 3" latex top layer, a thin latex foam later (maybe 1") and then another 3" of engineered latex.  That gives me hope that the top layer is natural.  (I am going to contact them and find out.)

I am now leaning toward the Classic Dream eurotop (i.e., the 940).  <$740 (before tax) and free shipping.  I know I can find it cheaper elsewhere online, but it should be easier/cheaper to return it to Sams if I really don't like it.

Reply #4 Sep 8, 2011 1:31 PM
I just found out that the top layer on the 940 (13" Classic Dream Eurotop queen at Sams) is dunlop.

Recent Posts