Royal Pedic opinions
Aug 27, 2010 1:10 PM
I am considering their all cotton mattress, any thoughts ?
Re: Royal Pedic opinions
Reply #11 Aug 29, 2010 10:16 PM
You'd think that Original Mattress Factory is "not the quality" but seriously, I have a male friend who has weighed over 400# for years and is now down to 300-something where he can actually get weighted on a scale.   He has an OMF mattress and box spring, and he has used it for at least 5-6 years now, maybe even longer.   It's either a Regency or an Orthopedic, but he is too lazy to go look at the tag for me.  If it can stand up to 6'3" and 400+ pounds for over 5 years, it can't be too weak of a product.    Even if it is, the Orthos are $669.   If it lasts only 6 years and then you have to throw it out, it cost only $100 - $112 per year.   There is a good review of a Legacy in this forum, I believe.

I'd probalby opt for an Orthopedic since I am going for very firm and very long lasting.  But I'll also try the Regency. I also don't want a skyscraper bed, because my frame for that brass bed is already 12" off the floor without the mattress set on it.

This message was modified Aug 29, 2010 by TC2334
Reply #12 Aug 31, 2010 5:50 PM
budgy wrote:

looking forward to your first impression.  I personally have not even tried one out, but I would imagine the all cotton mattress is going to be FIRM.  But yeah the construction really is top notch.

Hi Budgy

when you say the construction is top notch, are you speaking from experience with royal pedic , or just guessing

Thanks !

Reply #13 Sep 1, 2010 1:47 AM
I'd say educated "guess".  I have seen how they make their mattresses, traditional tufting techniques, options for hand tieing the base, tufting straps used in the mattress, as well as just the materials they use (which I have felt samples of).  There are only about 2 handfuls of companies worldwide that still make mattresses this way.  Whether they are worth the cost is relative to your own needs and your comfort preference. 
Reply #14 Sep 1, 2010 1:18 PM
budgy wrote:

I'd say educated "guess".  I have seen how they make their mattresses, traditional tufting techniques, options for hand tieing the base, tufting straps used in the mattress, as well as just the materials they use (which I have felt samples of).  There are only about 2 handfuls of companies worldwide that still make mattresses this way.  Whether they are worth the cost is relative to your own needs and your comfort preference. 

Budgy, I have noted you have mentioned the tufting methods before.  Does that have a significant impact on comfort or is it a longevity thing?  Same question for hand tieing.

Reply #15 Sep 1, 2010 1:43 PM
Hand tieing the base is a comfort thing primarily, gives a more bouyant feeling to the foundation.  The tufting techniques are for comfort as well as preventing the fibre fills from shifting.  Its mostly done for durability.  As without it you might get a lumpy mattress some day. 
Reply #16 Sep 8, 2010 10:16 AM
I tried a bunch more mattresses and decided to buy the the Royal Pedic All cotton mattress and separate  3 inch pillowtop pad.

I found a local dealer who beat every other price I can find by 300.00, so I ordered from him .

Hope it works out , will let you know

Thanks for all the great help on this forum

Reply #17 Sep 8, 2010 11:13 AM
Congrats on your purchase.  You are one of the few (only one that I can think of) on here that bought one of these upper end innersprings.  Let us know how it works out.   I would love to be able to sleep on one to see if the extra investment is worth it.

How did it  compare/contrast to other things you tried?

Reply #18 Sep 8, 2010 11:45 AM
Thanks

I tried alot of S brand types , and the royal pedic just seemed much firmer and better built.

I tried the tempupedic which were too mushy for me

I tried a few other high end types like :

http://www.hypnos.ltd.uk/UnitedStates/USA.htm

which were really nice , but very expensive and was worried about all the built in padding

in the end I liked the idea that the royal pedic is high quality and very firm , and the the removeable pilow top pads can be replaced if they sink in. It was a very expensive purchase but I am hopefull it will last a long time

Recent Posts