Where to buy 100% natural Talalay latex for DIY mattress
Jan 28, 2014 6:26 PM
We have a mattress that we purchased a little while back from Custom Sleep Design.  My partner's side of the mattress fits her perfectly. My side is way too firm. CSD's guarantee included swapping layers to get the mattress just right.  Unfortunately, it looks like CSD is out of business (I, nor a bunch of other posters) have been able to get in touch with them. So, it looks like I will tweak the mattress myself.

When shopping for mattresses originally, I remember seeing a place or two where you could buy pieces of latex to build your own mattress. But, for the life of me, I can't find these stores (or the posts about them). I've found a couple but they only sell latex in 3" thicknesses. I need a 2" thick piece. Specifically, I'm after a 30"x34"x2" piece (19 ILD), natural (preferably organic) Talalay.

Aslo, should the replacement piece be 19 ILD?:

As you may know, CSD designed their mattresses using 3 layers. A 6" support layer, a 3" transition layer, and a 2" comfort layer. Each side of the bed was designed independent of the other. And, each side had different zones (2 zones in the transition layer and 2 zones in the comfort layer). So as to properly support and comfort a specific person, the ILD and the length of each zone (i.e., the ILD and length of each piece of latex) differed in both the comfort layer and the transititon layer. One zone focused on the torso and the other on the hips. There's more spelled out about how the zone sizes are determined in GKDesign's excellent post

My side of the queen bed has the following layers: Support: 80" 40 ILD; Transition: 39" 28 ILD (torso), 41" 32 ILD (hips); Comfort layer: 34" 24 ILD (torso), 46" 28 ILD (hips). I'm a male, 73" tall, 177 pounds. I sleep on all sides but mainly on my sides and stomach.  The support of the bed is perfect. I never have any back, hip, knee aches when I get up. Same with comfort. All is perfect except for my shoulders when I sleep on my sides. It's been so bad that if I don't wake up from the pain during the night, my shoulders ache all day which makes for a worse sleep the following night. Currently, I'm forced to sleep only on my stomach.

So, I'm thinking that the support and transition layers are fine and that my first attempt at improvement is to swap out the 24 ILD comfort layer (for the torso) for something like a 19 ILD.  Any thoughts?

Re: Where to buy 100% natural Talalay latex for DIY mattress
Reply #4 Dec 8, 2016 12:28 PM
How'd it go CBO? What was tha outcome?

Recent Posts