Saatva Mattress - Does it Hold Up over Time?
May 9, 2013 5:45 PM
Re: the Saatva mattress, I have read the reviews and posts on here regarding this mattress. I have read the reviews on the Saatva website itself, along with all the other reviews that I could find on the internet. 99% of them seem to be all about the great customer service, etc., and about how nice the mattress looks and feels once they receive it, etc., (which is all beneficial and good to know, of course) - but there are few, that I can find, that speak about the durability of the mattress itself over time.

There was a post on here some time back asking that very question, but no one really responded with an answer.  Evidently, the company has only been marketing their product on a wide-spread on-line basis about 4 years or so, but surely there must be somebody out there that has had the mattress for a couple of years now, who could and would report about how it is holding up.

I may be too skeptical, but a good number of the reviews/posts out there seem to be a bit too glowingly over the top. Many of them seem as if they are intentionally planted, especially since you can see the same exactly worded review on several different sites. It seems that Saatva has done a great marketing job covering the internet with positive messaging, and from what I have read, if true, then it deserves the positive reputation. 

I would just like to know something about people's experience with the mattress itself a couple of years out from purchase. If there is anyone on this forum who has had the mattress for a time or who has read or knows about the durability of it over time, I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks!

This message was modified May 9, 2013 by MrSandman
Re: Saatva Mattress - Does it Hold Up over Time?
Reply #11 Jan 25, 2015 2:39 AM
<p> </p> ]
I purchased my Saatva in April 2013 and around the 6 month mark I developed low back pain due to a &quot;indention&quot; that had developed in that area of the mattress. &nbsp;I don&#39;t know if it was from the comfort layers or springs breaking down but Saatva took care of it.
[/quote wrote:
I know this is a bit of an old post, so not sure if anyone will see this.. I'm contemplating going the Saatva route since a friend of mine had one and really liked it. I was wondering which one you got that developed the indentation?
Reply #12 Jan 13, 2016 9:45 AM
UPDATE REVIEW - This is MrSandman - back in May of 2013, I posted, asking if anyone had any information or opinions about how the Saatva mattress held up over time. I did not receive many replies right away, and I did not check back much after that.

Well, it has been about 2 and half years now since we purchased the mattress, and I am of the personal "opinion" (based on my personal experience) that the Saatva mattress does NOT hold up well, even over a relatively short period of time. Others may have different experiences.

We bought the Saatva - "Extra Firm" Luxury King mattress with the Saatva foundation, back in the Spring of 2013. All was well the first couple of years, but in the last few months, despite taking good care of the mattress and rotating it on the first of every month, the mattress has developed a noticeable "SAGGING" on each side, with a BULGE in the middle. It is now harder to get a good night's sleep, as many nights, I awake several times, unable to get back to sleep, as I seek a more comfortable position, away from the sag.  (Neither of us is over-weight).

Prior to buying the Saatva, we had a Kingsdown that lasted about 10 years before it began to sag. We looked into buying another Kingsdown, but according to the reviews at that time, the company had changed in some way, and the mattress no longer was viewed as being as reliable as it once was, which led to us taking the chance on the Saatva. We tried very hard to get as much information as we could on the Saatva mattress before purchasing it.

In fairness, I admit that I have not tried to contact Saatva to complain about the sag in the mattress, as I have read enough to know how that usually goes, especially with regard to mattresses after some time. Perhaps, I will try, and if I do, I will post their reply.

For the price we paid for the Saatva, in my opinion, the mattress should have held up much longer than just over two years. At the time that I posted in May, 2013 asking for information about the longevity of the mattress, I noted that I thought the glowing reviews and hype seemed over the top to me, and that many of the reviews seemed planted.

All I have to say now is "use your own best judgment." The old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, then it is probably is" seems appropriate here. All of the above, is just my personal opinion, based on my personal experience, and not meant to be anything but that.

This message was modified Jan 13, 2016 by MrSandman
Reply #13 Jan 27, 2016 11:36 AM
MrSandman.  Sorry to hear about the mattress.  If you contact Saatva let us know how it goes.  Mattdud

Quote:

UPDATE REVIEW - This is MrSandman - back in May of 2013, I posted, asking if anyone had any information or opinions about how the Saatva mattress held up over time. I did not receive many replies right away, and I did not check back much after that.

Well, it has been about 2 and half years now since we purchased the mattress, and I am of the personal "opinion" (based on my personal experience) that the Saatva mattress does NOT hold up well, even over a relatively short period of time. Others may have different experiences.

We bought the Saatva - "Extra Firm" Luxury King mattress with the Saatva foundation, back in the Spring of 2013. All was well the first couple of years, but in the last few months, despite taking good care of the mattress and rotating it on the first of every month, the mattress has developed a noticeable "SAGGING" on each side, with a BULGE in the middle. It is now harder to get a good night's sleep, as many nights, I awake several times, unable to get back to sleep, as I seek a more comfortable position, away from the sag.  (Neither of us is over-weight).

Prior to buying the Saatva, we had a Kingsdown that lasted about 10 years before it began to sag. We looked into buying another Kingsdown, but according to the reviews at that time, the company had changed in some way, and the mattress no longer was viewed as being as reliable as it once was, which led to us taking the chance on the Saatva. We tried very hard to get as much information as we could on the Saatva mattress before purchasing it.

In fairness, I admit that I have not tried to contact Saatva to complain about the sag in the mattress, as I have read enough to know how that usually goes, especially with regard to mattresses after some time. Perhaps, I will try, and if I do, I will post their reply.

For the price we paid for the Saatva, in my opinion, the mattress should have held up much longer than just over two years. At the time that I posted in May, 2013 asking for information about the longevity of the mattress, I noted that I thought the glowing reviews and hype seemed over the top to me, and that many of the reviews seemed planted.

All I have to say now is "use your own best judgment." The old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, then it is probably is" seems appropriate here. All of the above, is just my personal opinion, based on my personal experience, and not meant to be anything but that.

Reply #14 May 14, 2016 3:30 PM
I am just starting the process of looking for the right mattress. Anyone have any comments on the longevity of the Saatva?
Reply #15 Aug 28, 2016 6:27 PM
We had a Saatva for about 2 years. Bought it because of all the great reviews and went with their EXTRA FIRM mattress. It sagged within 6 months and we started developing back and shoulder pain. We didn't realize it was the mattress that was causing us the pain, until about 6 months ago when we were approaching our two year mark with our mattress.

So I went online contacted customer service about the issue and realize the mattress only had a 2 year warranty. When we went mattress shopping we realized most manufacturers and retailers offer 10 years as the standard warranty. So the last part that really bothered me was the fact that all over their website they are promoting their use of ORGANIC COTTON. What you don't realize is that it's only in the quilting on top, written in tiny print. So in my investigation I learned that sometimes manufacturers put all their materials on the law label to show what's in/on the mattress. Turns out no where on the law label do they mention the organic cotton on their law label. Only the words organic cotton is knitted into the quilting.

I then proceeded to post a review on their website about my dissatisfaction about the mattress and I was upset by the fact that I felt mislead that there was more organic cotton in the mattress. I was then phoned by one of their staff and I told him my concerns and dissatisfaction about the mattress and the lack of mentioning of organic cotton on the law label. The individual I spoke to then accused me of slander and they would proceed with legal action if I did not remove my review. A few days later I was contacted by their EVP and he apologized for the way I was spoken to and then offered me a check to remove my negative review and to help me pay for a new mattress. I appreciate their gesture to help me with buying a new mattress, however it helped me understand why they have such positive reviews.

So summary:
Quality of the mattress did not hold up for us so beware when you buy. Warranty only being 2 years is a little weird for me especially since I don't plan to spend $1000 every two years for a mattress. I rather invest my money in a more expensive one that last me 10 years!
Reply #16 May 2, 2019 1:53 AM
I almost bought this Saatva mattress but your review really saved me. Looks like they have a great marketing machine behind this average mattress. I was even feeling bad why I paid 3x for my last Tempurpedic mattress but you get what you pay. In fact I think Saatva is overpriced for the value it provides. Anyway I cannot trust a company which carefully manages its reviews by threatening customers posting genuine reviews. This Saatva company seem to have created a great online reputation based on targeted and largely manipulated reviews. I am sad. I am going with Tempurpedic again.

Recent Posts