New topper needed above 3 layers of Talalay latex (28/36/44 ILD)
May 8, 2012 11:07 PM
Our 3" of Sensus memory foam is about eight years old and it appears its comfort life has pretty much ended. Our succeeding layers are 3" 28 ILD Talalay, 3" 36 ILD Talalay, and 3" 44 ILD Talalay. My wife and I are on the heavier side. She has fibromyalgia. We've liked the feel of memory foam for the most part, but it does sleep hot at times. 

I'm inclined to first take the Sensus off the bed and experiment about how the 28 ILD Talalay would feel as a top layer. We've never had latex as the top layer. I suspect it would be too firm, but would it give us some idea that it would be worthwhile to try 19-22 ILD Talalay as the top layer? Could we get away with 2" of soft latex rather than 3" of memory foam? Is there any point to just getting one inch of Sensus/memory foam, but getting 2 additional inches  of latex? 

So here are some options, all in king size: 

1. Simply replace the Sensus; don't mess with success. Best price I can find is Comfort Magic on Amazon (cymax), (about $220 for 2"+1")  but I'm not sure it is real Sensus or not.

2. 3"  Isoform memory foam from Bergad for about $247. I've heard good things about the isoform memory foam on this forum. 

3. 2-3" of 19 ILD Talalay latex, $270-$410, from myfoammattress.com.  

4. Some combination of additional latex, and perhaps just one inch of memory foam. 

In a perfect world we would be ordering from somewhere that would have a liberal return policy, but unfortunately those companies are also significantly more expensive. Thanks for any feedback, thoughts, and ideas anyone can provide. 

Re: New topper needed above 3 layers of Talalay latex (28/36/44 ILD)
Reply #10 May 9, 2015 1:20 AM
Update: We did the wrong thing. We purchased a 2.5" Novform gel memory foam mattress topper from Costco. It was maybe decent for a year. It's now three years old. 

The good news is that the three latex layers are over eleven years old and going strong. 

So we're back where we started if folks have any suggestions, particularly for a good, reasonable 5lb memory foam or a 20ILD latex topper. 

We also probably need a new zippered mattress cover if anyone has one they really like and can recommend. 

Thanks! 

Recent Posts