Mattress Surgery! Have Basic Questions.
Mar 15, 2015 3:13 PM
Hello everybody. I've been reading a bit on the Forum here about performing mattress surgery. I've got no choice and must try it. Can it be done with this (brand new, waaaaay too firm) bed I own?:

Two- sided mattress, from bottom - top:

2" x-firm talalay latex; pocket coil unit (fairly firm); gray thin thingamajiggy piece they put directly on springs; 2" x-firm talalay latex, organic cotton cover.

its a VERY plain mattress. It would've been perfect except the manufacturer made it with the wrong ILD of latex. It's like a rock. At 135lbs and 5'3" (and curvy), the latex pushback is killin me.

im planning to replace top layer of x-firm latex with a nice soft/medium talalay or dunlop (I've got both.)

Questions:

- The cover is very tight on this bed. Since I'm not taking away any height at all, will the cover close again? 

- Without a foam encasement, can the springs splay apart and not be supportive? (I believe none of their pocket coil beds are made with encasements and I think I remember seeing in the showroom that they're wired somehow around the edges - I realize that may determine my answer.)

- If I don't replace the x-firm latex under the coil unit, can I still get lots of pushback from it - straight through the coil unit and up into the top of the bed where I sleep - making my efforts futile? (I'd prefer not to have to do both sides of this mattress.)

I've got a list of sharp objects that can cut this sucker - and I may be back for more help! Also, I will post pictures.

for now I will keep reading about this. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

This message was modified Mar 15, 2015 by LadyGrace
Re: Mattress Surgery! Have Basic Questions.
Reply #1 Mar 16, 2015 11:42 AM
LadyGrace.  You will be able to figure something out with the materials you have.  In your first question you say that you will not be taking away any height at all but it seems that you will be removing 2" of the x-firm latex.  If you are removing 2" and replacing that with a more suitable ILD piece of 2" then you have the same overall height.  Is that your plan?

Is the "grey thingamajiggy" the foam encasement you are referring to?

As for replacing the x-firm on the other side of the unit you may want to do this when you discover what ILD is perfect for you on the top side.  That way, you can flip the mattress and get the most life out of it.

Please post pictures.  This will be an interesting project.

Mattdud

Quote:

Hello everybody. I've been reading a bit on the Forum here about performing mattress surgery. I've got no choice and must try it. Can it be done with this (brand new, waaaaay too firm) bed I own?:

Two- sided mattress, from bottom - top:

2" x-firm talalay latex; pocket coil unit (fairly firm); gray thin thingamajiggy piece they put directly on springs; 2" x-firm talalay latex, organic cotton cover.

its a VERY plain mattress. It would've been perfect except the manufacturer made it with the wrong ILD of latex. It's like a rock. At 135lbs and 5'3" (and curvy), the latex pushback is killin me.

im planning to replace top layer of x-firm latex with a nice soft/medium talalay or dunlop (I've got both.)

Questions:

- The cover is very tight on this bed. Since I'm not taking away any height at all, will the cover close again? 

- Without a foam encasement, can the springs splay apart and not be supportive? (I believe none of their pocket coil beds are made with encasements and I think I remember seeing in the showroom that they're wired somehow around the edges - I realize that may determine my answer.)

- If I don't replace the x-firm latex under the coil unit, can I still get lots of pushback from it - straight through the coil unit and up into the top of the bed where I sleep - making my efforts futile? (I'd prefer not to have to do both sides of this mattress.)

I've got a list of sharp objects that can cut this sucker - and I may be back for more help! Also, I will post pictures.

for now I will keep reading about this. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Recent Posts