Looking for a mattress to fit 3 needs
Jun 18, 2015 4:17 PM
(I couldn't fix the formatting mess of my last post, so I'll try again here and delete the old one)
Hi, my wife and I have been shopping for a new mattress and recently stumbled on this site. We have a 5 year old king sized inline spring that I bought from Macy's that we are going to move to the guest room and replace it with a brand new mattress. After doing some research, it has become painfully apparent that i don't even know what I don't know so I'm hoping for some guidance. We have 3 different needs that are roughly equally important:
1. Motion isolation. I rock and move in my sleep, which can wake up my wife.
2. We need a mattress that can stay as cool as possible.
3. We are both stomach sleepers, but I will also rotate to my sides.

From what I've been learning, it may be difficult to get a mattress that is good at both isolating motion and keeping cool, so I'm a bit lost. I was hoping to get some direction in what type of mattress we should be looking for and possibly what are some good brands. I've been getting such a poor night's sleep that budget isn't a huge concern if it fixes this issue. We did stop at a local mattress store the other day and the owner recommended a King Koil Barcelona. It seemed like a good fit but other sites have raised concerns about that brand's quality.

Also, I've been waking up with bad neck pains, and I'm pretty sure it is my pillow. Being that I'm a stomach sleeper that switches to either side, should I be looking for a nice down pillow?
Re: Looking for a mattress to fit 3 needs
Reply #1 Jun 29, 2015 4:16 PM
Pooter03.  You are correct.  This may be a difficult situation to fix.  To reduce motion transfer you would want memory foam.  Unfortunately, memory foam is the warmest of the materials you can sleep on.  Try laying on a latex bed.  You might get enough isolation to keep your wife comfortable and it will likely sleep cooler.  You can also try adding wool to memory foam to cool it off.  I guess what we need to understand from you is which is more important?  Sleeping cool or reduction in motion transfer?  Mattdud

Quote:

(I couldn't fix the formatting mess of my last post, so I'll try again here and delete the old one)
Hi, my wife and I have been shopping for a new mattress and recently stumbled on this site. We have a 5 year old king sized inline spring that I bought from Macy's that we are going to move to the guest room and replace it with a brand new mattress. After doing some research, it has become painfully apparent that i don't even know what I don't know so I'm hoping for some guidance. We have 3 different needs that are roughly equally important:
1. Motion isolation. I rock and move in my sleep, which can wake up my wife.
2. We need a mattress that can stay as cool as possible.
3. We are both stomach sleepers, but I will also rotate to my sides.

From what I've been learning, it may be difficult to get a mattress that is good at both isolating motion and keeping cool, so I'm a bit lost. I was hoping to get some direction in what type of mattress we should be looking for and possibly what are some good brands. I've been getting such a poor night's sleep that budget isn't a huge concern if it fixes this issue. We did stop at a local mattress store the other day and the owner recommended a King Koil Barcelona. It seemed like a good fit but other sites have raised concerns about that brand's quality.

Also, I've been waking up with bad neck pains, and I'm pretty sure it is my pillow. Being that I'm a stomach sleeper that switches to either side, should I be looking for a nice down pillow?

Recent Posts