First DIY Mattress - could use feedback
Jul 1, 2016 12:36 AM
Hi all. I'm preparing for my first DIY mattress now that I'll be moving to the contiguous 48 states. Shipping to Alaska and the possible needs to return foam just was not possible so we ended up buying locally 5 years ago. I could use some feedback on what my plan is. I'm going to go with a full foam mattress, but am trying to save at least a bit on costs by going with a high quality PU foam core with a latex top rather than a full latex mattress.

I'm looking at the following:

3" Lux-HQ 50ILD from foambymail

3" HD36-HQ 35ILD from foambymail

3" Rejuvinate talalay latex 24 or 28ILD from sleeplikeabear

Organic Pillowtop Mattress Cover "The top is quilted certified organic wool and measures approximately 2" thick."

All for an eastern king bed. Will run $1100.

I've considered not going with the Rejuvinate talalay from sleeplikeabear and instead getting 2x 2" of their latex toppers and dropping to either 2"lux or 2"hd (need to stay at 9" right now).

Thoughts? Anyone have experience using foambymail's Lux/HD for a base with a latex topper?

Re: First DIY Mattress - could use feedback
Reply #6 Aug 10, 2016 7:49 PM
I had a very bad experience with a thick quilted top with wool. It was very hot and because it was so thick, it totally eliminated the feel of the latex that I like so much. Because the quilted fabric also contained so much wool it made it worse....and so hot.
Reply #7 Oct 17, 2016 4:18 PM
Interesting.

Quote:

I had a very bad experience with a thick quilted top with wool. It was very hot and because it was so thick, it totally eliminated the feel of the latex that I like so much. Because the quilted fabric also contained so much wool it made it worse....and so hot.
Reply #8 Feb 1, 2017 5:47 PM
Hey there. This DIY mattresses are true headache. On this site ( Mattress Enthusiast ) I found a real solution. I suggest you to check it out, they are awesome!
This message was modified Feb 1, 2017 by Wayne Newton

Recent Posts