First bed build, looking to use high density foams, no memory, latex etc.
Oct 19, 2016 5:27 AM
Hello, I am a newbie to bed building. I have used hd-hq foam in couch cushions for a long time and am pleased with the material. I like the idea of just using 6" hd36-hq so I can flip it etc, but know that will be a bit firm as I side sleep a lot, so am considering a couple inches of hd23-hq. I am 200 lbs. What do you think of this, will it be firm enough to sit up in bed to read, and soft enough to sleep on? I sleep on my couch all the time, the hd36 would make my arm go to sleep but after 6 years I think it's softened up a bit and now doesn't do that. Of course I don't want to wait that long on my bed. It's a full size slat platform frame. Should I go thicker for my weight and for firm support sitting up with the hd36?
Re: First bed build, looking to use high density foams, no memory, latex etc.
Reply #3 Nov 28, 2016 1:42 PM
Mostly it's just that I'm familiar with pu foam, and don't have an interest in memory foam; latex, I don't know much about though. In regards to the super soft foam I am considering albanyfoam has a <br>&quot;4.0 Density – 25 lb. Compression<br>Medium-Soft<br>The new standard in high end polyurethane<br>cushioning. Super heavy weight, incredible luxurious<br>feel. The closest you can get to the feel of Latex in a<br>polyurethane foam.&quot;<br>I would appreciate any information. I do want to be able to flip the mattress. Thanks,
This message was modified Nov 28, 2016 by Alpharalpha
Reply #4 Dec 14, 2016 5:49 PM
If I was going to use latex as a comfort top layer what kind of latex and ild would you suggest? Dunlop, natural, blended, sythetic talalay?
Reply #5 Dec 16, 2016 3:09 PM
You have to decide what best meets your requirements.  It does not seem that you are concerned about natural so blended would be ok for you.  As far as talalay vs. dunlop.  If you want it to last for a very long time go with talalay.  Since this is essentially just a topper then dunlop is a fine choice as well.  For my height and weight I would probably look for a 32 ILD which is just on the firm side of average.  Mattdud

Quote:

If I was going to use latex as a comfort top layer what kind of latex and ild would you suggest? Dunlop, natural, blended, sythetic talalay?
Reply #6 Jan 10, 2017 11:33 AM
What is your weight and build? 32 ild blended talalay seems ok, would be purchasing a 3" topper. There's also options for a 38 ild and a 44.
Reply #7 Jan 11, 2017 6:49 AM
My name is John, I want uninterrupted sleep.
I like memory foam type mattress.

Recent Posts