Questions re plushbeds and also re adjustable-slat design bed frame
Jul 24, 2013 8:12 AM
It might be time for a new bed.

For the past several years I've been sleeping on a bowed-wood slatted "foundation" from IKEA and 1" of a very firm HD foam on the bottom followed by 3" of pretty firm Dunlop latex and 2" of medium natural Talalay on top. I've tried various additions/ subtractions but this is what has worked most often. (Sometimes I've used 1"of memory foam on top, and/or a thick wool mattress pad.) But I usually end up taking those off after some time and going back to the basic design above. However recently it seems to have lost its comfort for me.

I think the weak link is the IKEA bowed wood base as it has probably gotten worn out over time. Or else it's just my back acting up again in which case NO mattress will really help.

I am thinking of either buying something like the Botanical Bliss from Plushbeds (because it seems like a solid-ly conceived mattress with quality components at a good price) or maybe just a new slatted wood base but one that is adjustable in terms of firmness (like those ones where you can slant the slats for more or less firmness).

Okay, so my specific questions are:

1) Has anyone had any experience with returning or exchanging a mattress at plushbeds.com? (just in case I buy it and don't like it)

2) Has anyone tried the Botanical Bliss specifically or do you recall any reviews of it here?

3) Can anyone recommend a not-too-expensive slatted wood base that has a firmness-adjustable design? (that is to say, one can adjust the firmness; I don't mean "adjustable mattress" in the sense of raising the head or legs etc.; just a flat base with slats that are adjustable for firmness)

Thanks.

This message was modified Jul 24, 2013 by jimsocal
Re: Questions re plushbeds and also re adjustable-slat design bed frame
Reply #3 Sep 30, 2013 12:57 PM
I am also looking at the PlushBed as an option.  Seems like between PlushBed, FloBed and Astrabeds, they each have plusses and minuses.  One question I have is your statement that PlushBed does not have the wool cover.  The Botanical Bliss DOES have a Joma Wool layer, which is IMHO designed more for moisture wicking than anything.  From what I can deduce, it is not thick enough to actually interfere with the softness of the bed.  If by now you have already purchased a bed (in light of very little input) and have been able to demonstrate this one way or another, it would be good to know. 

I don't remember seeing any of the primary brands actually having a wool cover, but usually some strain of cotton top, with some type of wool below it.  Don't know if this is to avoid discomfort of lying directly on and touching the wool??? 

Just as an aside, I found it really interesting that the FloBed Luxury Performance line comes with a horsehair layer.  Just seemed strange to me.

Reply #4 Oct 2, 2013 1:45 AM
The Plushbeds sold today are totally different than the ones I had experience with, so I can't comment on their features or comfort. The company sold two memory foam beds to coworkers based on my recommendation two years ago. One bed was returned and they did take it back as promised for $100 so the buyer was out a total of $230 which is not bad at all. The beds seemed to be good quality sort of like a high end iComfort memory foam.
Reply #5 Oct 8, 2013 5:20 PM
Hi Jim,

I'm considering getting rid of my platform bed--I have this idea that the 'give' of the slats is contributing to motion transfer (even with a center support); can this be true? 

thanks-

J

Reply #6 Oct 9, 2013 9:05 AM
electracat wrote:

Hi Jim,

I'm considering getting rid of my platform bed--I have this idea that the 'give' of the slats is contributing to motion transfer (even with a center support); can this be true? 

thanks-

J

Any instability could contribute to motion.  But I suspect more motion comes from the mattress action.

I would try your mattress on the floor to see if getting rid of the base platform will decrease your motion problem.  If the platform is unstable, maybe you can rebuild it to be more solid i.e more and more rigid slats.

GK

This message was modified Oct 9, 2013 by GKDesigns
Reply #7 Oct 10, 2013 6:00 PM
Maybe I could put a sheet of plywood on top of slats...? Or is that not really fixing things? 
Reply #8 Oct 11, 2013 5:42 PM
electracat wrote:

Maybe I could put a sheet of plywood on top of slats...? Or is that not really fixing things? 

If the slats are unstable, it would be best to fix them by replacing weak slats/mountings and/or adding more slats.  A sheet of plywood placed over something unstable may remain unstable, especially a sheet less than 3/4".  But worse, a sheet of plywood blocks bottom ventilation, which can negatively affect the bed's micro climate (heating/cooling/humidity).

Motion transfer is typically a mattress issue.

GK

Reply #9 Jan 5, 2014 11:27 PM
jimsocal wrote:

3) Can anyone recommend a not-too-expensive slatted wood base that has a firmness-adjustable design? (that is to say, one can adjust the firmness; I don't mean "adjustable mattress" in the sense of raising the head or legs etc.; just a flat base with slats that are adjustable for firmness)

Thanks.

Hi Jim,

I know this is late and you've probably already made a decision but you may just want to check out the Ikea one. If that is what you already have, you may want to call Ikea, I think they give at least a 10 year warrenty on them. Also, don't get a new mattress until you get a new base (change only one thing at a time). I've been lurking here  and the other mattress forum site  over the last few days because I thought I needed a new base. I also started thinking about switching over to a latex mattress also.  Turned out that I only needed to flip my bowing slats (they were the straight kind not the curved ones). Now I need a little more cush and I think I'll be set for another couple of years. 

Reply #10 Jan 15, 2014 4:50 PM
I recently bought the botanical bliss 10" mattress, medium firmness.  It is softer and bouncier than I expected but I like it very much.  There is one thing I'm not crazy about.  It sinks mildly in the middle.  I'm going to call the company to talk to them about it.  The company states the soft mattress is for people who like to sink into their mattress.  I didn't expect the medium mattress to have any sink at all.  I may have the company send me the medium firm top layer so I can compare.

One thing I discovered is that the box spring makes a difference.  Originally I put the mattress on a cheap box spring.  A week later I moved the mattress to another room.  I slept on it on the floor without the boxspring for one night.  It lost much of its bounce and felt harder on the floor.  It wasn't good.  The next day, as an experiment, I put it on a different box spring, a good one.  Again, it felt different.  It had a little less bounce and the sink felt a little less, which was good.  I am going to buy a good box spring for my mattress, perhaps the one Plushbeds sells.

I hope that getting a new boxspring and finding the right firmness will take care of the sinking issue because I really like the mattress.  Even with the sink I find the mattress super comfortable and I am sleeping better.

Reply #11 Oct 26, 2015 6:06 PM
I recently purchased the 10" Botanical Bliss in medium from Plushbeds. I weigh 160 lbs and I am a side sleeper. I prefer a soft, plush feel and this mattress is perfect for me. I have never been so comfortable and slept so well before. The way this latex mattress feels on my back is incredible. It has helped my back pain so much. It gives great pressure relief and nice cushioning so that your hip and shoulder do not hurt when sleeping on my side. I have never slept so well.
Reply #12 Oct 21, 2016 2:27 PM
@jimsocal I purchased a Botanical Bliss100% natural latex mattress from Plushbeds for my master bedroom. I do not have experience with returning it because I absolutely love it but I did do the free 100 day comfort exchange with Plushbeds on this mattress when I first received it and I have to say their customer service team is wonderful and they do go out of their way to make sure you are happy. I ordered a medium firm, not realizing that medium is better suited for side sleepers. After a few weeks of sleeping on the mattress, I called Plushbeds and told them I felt the mattress was too firm. They told me I am eligible for a free comfort exchange and they sent me a new top layer, in the softer firmness, for free. I unzipped the cover & replaced the old top layer with the new top layer and the mattress is now perfect - very comfortable. I received the new layer in under one week too. This is a great company.

Recent Posts