Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
May 9, 2011 12:38 PM
I am at a loss. Our brand new mattress that we have had since April 22 is exhibiting a damp, moisture problem on the underside of the memory foam mattress and the top of support. Not only that but there are two small rust-like or maybe mildew like stains on both the underside of the mattress and the top of the support. I called Sealy and they could not help me saying they had never heard of this problem. I called the place of purchase and he said he had never heard of this problem either and that we should try airing the mattress out near a window (we are in an apartment). I have no idea why there is moisture condensation under the mattress if the first place. What good will it do to air it out, if it happens again? Has anyone had this problem, or know of what to do? Thank you for your time.
Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
Reply #1 May 9, 2011 1:59 PM
Normally this occurs from sleeping hot and sweating.  When you sweat on a memory foam mattress, it gets absorbed and sinks to the bottom.  Oftentimes there isnt enough of circulation allow it to dry and it gets moldy, this is well known about memory foam mattresses.  What should of happened when you purchased the mattress was that a salesman should of tried to persuade you to purchase a mattress protector, such as Protect A Bed which is a waterproof yet breathable mattress guard.  Now that this has occurred to you, 99.9% of mattress companies will deny ALL of your warranty claims due to soiling and not properly protecting your investment.  When you buy a new mattress, the 80 bucks for the protector is a must if you ever plan on wanting to have a warranty.  Sorry I couldnt give you better news.
Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
Reply #2 May 9, 2011 4:50 PM
Thank you Petes67bird. No... we were not told about a mattress protector or anything really. We just bought the standard mattress pad and sheet set. However, I did call Sealy a third time and explained the situation again to a new customer rep. I also told them no one from the store could help and would not come out. Actually, we have only had this bed for 10 days and we ordered it the 22nd of April. We were both wondering about that too, but if it is such a problem with memory foam mattresses why do the manufacturer and mattress stores deny that this problem even can happen. It has been relatively cool here still actually. Sealy is sending me a claims form and they were shocked the sales rep was not coming out. They want me to take pictures of the small area on the bottom of the mattress. I don't know if it will do any good considering the situation as you have outlined. Oh well. We are going to air it out tomorrow and get a few pics. Not much else we can do right now about it.
Reply #3 May 9, 2011 6:07 PM
That is as far as I know.  Have you guys been waking up sweaty?
Reply #4 May 9, 2011 9:22 PM
I don't know what kind of climate you all live in, but I've studied mold a bit. I find it kind of hard to believe that mold or mildew caused by perspiration soaking through could have caused mold or mildew within just a couple of weeks (of course, I live in a dry climate, so maybe I don't know). I wonder if maybe the latex could have been exposed to moisture prior to or during shipment. Did it seem moist at all when you took delivery? I imagine it probably absorbs moisture - so maybe if it somehow got caught uncovered in the rain, then wrapped and delivered to you, something like that would be more likely to happen in such a short period of time. Just speculating here....
Reply #5 May 10, 2011 3:22 PM
First of all, do you know that ANY stain will void your mattress warranty? That is why you should always use a breatheable mattress protector at least until you decide to keep it. I laugh at this because people spend thousands on a mattress in part because they love the beautiful ticking and quality mattress materials... and then they have to put an ugly synthetic mattress protector on it to protect their warranty!

Even a small - tiny - stain will void the warranty. Of course they may still decide to honor it especially on a new mattress and especially if you threaten to make some noise at the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission and post all over the internet about their company if they don't help you take care of this problem.

So make noise and do not accept "no" for an answer.

Meanwhile document your problems in writing and with photos. Send Sealy a certified letter they have to sign for. Find out who the Sealy rep is for your area and send him or her a certified letter with photos and make it clear you will not take no for an answer, that you want satisfaction for your problem.

If your mattress vendor has an exchange policy you may have to use it. Many of them are now charging 20% or more in restocking fees plus delivery fees so it may legally cost you some money to exchange or return it. However, push them for free exchange if it is defective. The key: Make noise. No one wants bad BBB rating and bad publicity.

Reply #6 May 22, 2011 11:25 AM
We are having this identical problem.  I don't believe it is a "sweating problem."  Nothing else is the least bit damp.  I believe the foam is heating up and causing condensation between the mattress and foundation support.  I also feel the foundation support does not allow enough ventilation and perhaps is not suitable to the mattress for which it is intended, but good luck getting Sealy to admit or recognize this.  The reps I spoke to and retail store where we purchased the mattress all think we're crazy, "never heard of this," they say.  We're now battling mildew and will probably just purchase another mattress when we can't stand it anymore.  Lesson learned.
Reply #7 May 22, 2011 3:51 PM
Metoo is correct about the source of the problem. Condensation can form on the bottom of the mattress when your hot body is on a foam mattress in a cold room.  This typically happens on a plywood surface  where the heat can't dissipate. Innerspring mattresses don't have this problem because heat can dissipate. I have never heard of condensation happening on a box spring because box springs have good breathability.

I would suggest making your room warmer and/or checking the breathability of your box springs.

Reply #8 May 22, 2011 7:46 PM
MattressDan:  The "box spring" is the foundation Sealy sells with this memory foam mattress.  It, therefore, I would assume be compatible with the mattress; obviously, however, it is not.  In fact,  the label attached to the mattress indicates to either use no foundation or only the foundation sold with the mattress, else warranty is void.  As far as warming up the room, it sounds like a good idea, but this memory foam mattress already makes us feel like we're in an incubator.  I couldn't imagine the room being any warmer.  I really think the answer is with the foundation.  Sealy needs to make a product that will allow this mattress to breath.  If only, they would acknowledge the problem.
Reply #9 Jun 5, 2011 1:41 PM
just moved my sealy memory foam ... exactly same issue as what was described by OP.  Mattress is 11 months old, but only been slept on first 6 months.  Mold is spotty, only between bottom of mattress and top of box spring.  There has to be a cause for this, nothing else in the room, apartment, etc. is exhibiting this problem.

any help in cleaning/removing the mold would be appreciated.

thanks.

Reply #10 Jun 5, 2011 2:11 PM
johnohio wrote:

just moved my sealy memory foam ... exactly same issue as what was described by OP.  Mattress is 11 months old, but only been slept on first 6 months.  Mold is spotty, only between bottom of mattress and top of box spring.  There has to be a cause for this, nothing else in the room, apartment, etc. is exhibiting this problem.

thanks.

Dr. Gloom here. The bad news is mold is very difficult to remove. Actually, impossible. You can try to kill it back with various mold treatment solutions, but they are not 100% effective. Bear in mind any kind of moisture you add to clean it out with will provide a breeding ground for future growth. Generally, what people consider "removing" mold is just cleaning the surface spores off. They form kind of network or tentacle type growth patterns that move deep into the underlying surface, and those remain, where the absorbed moisture from the cleaning solution spurs further growth. This is what happens when people use bleach spray, for example, thinking they are killing the mold. They are killing surface spores, but providing addiional breeding media for the growth underneath, and it will come back.

The best you can do, honestly speaking - and yes, I have studied mold professionally a bit - is to cut out the affected area, and considerably more extensively around that area, because there is more in the areas where you don't see it appearing on the surface. The experts I was trained by said, for example, if you have mold on a patch of wood about 1 foot square, you need to remove a one-yard section around it to eradicate most all of the tentacles. Then patch in a replacement of clean material.

Also be aware that mold is a toxin - some more virulent forms than others. It needs to be treated carefully, possibly wearing breathing masks and definitely gloves, and discarded in a sealed bag, if you want to be sure of avoiding any effects. Some people (and other animals) are more sensitive than others, of course. The trouble is, when you work around mold, the spores disperse into the air surround. So it would be best to do the surgery outdoors - out of your bedroom, definitely.

Reply #11 Jun 5, 2011 2:35 PM
A bit more about mold....

Mold spores are everywhere. They are microscopic and virtually deathless. They can survive in spore form for many years until they land on a suitable surface and sprout.

They are part of life on this planet, and their job is to digest matter and return it to the biosphere.

But when I say organic - it's very broad. It includes virtually anthing with any kind of carbon in it - which is just about everything there is, including drywall, concrete, paint - virtually anything. But they really like organic materials which I gather are tastier and easier to digest.

The conditions they thrive in are: dark and moist.

So anytime you have anything that sits in a moist and dark condition, mold is likely to grow.

The proliferation of mold in residential settings is a huge problem, particularly given modern building materials and building methods, which tend to trap moisture indoors. Once it is detected, it cannot really be removed without stripping out the affected materials, and that gets expensive in a hurry.

That's why most homeowner's policies now include a mold exclusion, and if the policy was issued prior to the mold exclusion, the insurers run screaming from the room.

Ed McMahon had a $5 million mold claim on one of his McMansions a few years ago and won it. He argued that the mold made him sick and even killed his dog.

No one is immune from mold. All we can do is try to keep things dry and let the sunshine on them now and then. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put your mattress and platform in the sun and try to make sire they are thoroughly dry through and through.

Reply #12 Jun 5, 2011 2:58 PM
johnohio wrote:

thanks.

Just wondering - were you using a mattress protector?  I just bought a memory foam bed, and want to do whatever I can to prevent this.

Reply #13 Jun 5, 2011 5:35 PM
I forked out $200 for a wool moisture barrier for my new latex mattress.  From what I've read, wool repels moisture.  I sometimes wake up at night sweating, so I hope the wool will help with heat transfer as well as moisture.  Heat is more of an issue with memory foam than latex foam because you sink into memory foam.
Reply #14 Jun 5, 2011 6:21 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

I forked out $200 for a wool moisture barrier for my new latex mattress.  From what I've read, wool repels moisture.  I sometimes wake up at night sweating, so I hope the wool will help with heat transfer as well as moisture.  Heat is more of an issue with memory foam than latex foam because you sink into memory foam.

Slight correction - Wool actually absorbs moisture but it doesn't get "wet" as quickly. In fact, it can hold up to 30% of its weight in moisture. The way it works on a mattress cover is it wicks up the moisture and holds it so it can evaporate from the loft of those fibers instead of seeping through into the underlying material. That's part of the beauty of wool. It is more resilient than, say cotton, which absorbs a lot, but loses its resiliency, and lets the rest of the moisture pass on right through. Cotton tends to pack down more than wool fibers do when it gets wet. But both natural fibers are breathable and allow air into them so evaporation can take place. The thing about synthetics is that they don't "breathe" so if moisture gets into them, it runs right through, if it's porous, or runs off if it's not. If moisture gets trapped inside a synthetic casing or barrier, there is no escape. That's why air mattresses also have a problem with mold growing inside. In something dense like latex, there is no opportunity for airflow to get in there and assist with evaporation. If it's a memory foam or sleeps "hot", then naturally there will be more moisture from perspriration being absorbed into the open cells of the foam that make it "give." So that is why it's a very good idea to have a breathable layer on top  that can absorb moisture before it gets into the foam. The natural action of air flow through moisture in wool can provide a cooling effect on the skin through evaporation. Natural fiber sheets help, but they're usually too thin to do much in the way of moisture absorbtion and evaporation.

Reply #15 Jul 1, 2011 7:21 PM
Chelleu,

the same thing happened to my memory foam mattress. We called Macy's and they sent an inspector out to my house.  After the inspection a representaive at macy's called me and told me that this is a know issue and they offered to replace the mattress at no extra cost. She told me that sometimes the manufacturer ships the matrress to the warehouse. sometimes moisture gets soaked up in the warehouse after they unpack these.

Reply #16 Jul 4, 2011 1:36 AM
chelleu wrote:

I am at a loss. Our brand new mattress that we have had since April 22 is exhibiting a damp, moisture problem on the underside of the memory foam mattress and the top of support. Not only that but there are two small rust-like or maybe mildew like stains on both the underside of the mattress and the top of the support. I called Sealy and they could not help me saying they had never heard of this problem. I called the place of purchase and he said he had never heard of this problem either and that we should try airing the mattress out near a window (we are in an apartment). I have no idea why there is moisture condensation under the mattress if the first place. What good will it do to air it out, if it happens again? Has anyone had this problem, or know of what to do? Thank you for your time.

What to do?  Warranty issue obviously.  Have them pick it up and replace it.  No one should get stuck with a new moldy mattress.

Reply #17 Oct 13, 2011 2:38 PM
Hi, My husband & I purchased a new MemoryWorks foam matress made by Sealy in January 2011 at Macy's, we just dicovered mold growing all over the underside of the matress & all over on the top part of the box spring.  I also found mold growing all over the bedskirt where it touched the bed & boxspring.  I originally discovered the mold when I was moving the bed, because first off our new boxspring broke in half.  We contacted Macy's where we purchased the bed & boxspring & they are giving us a full refund, also, a small credit for new bedding.  I am still waiting for the delivery company to come remove the moldy bed which is now in our garage.  I just discovered from Macy's who we purchased the bed from, that the bed is manufactured in China & there was a bad batch of matresses.  You should be reimbursed for your bed, I would take it up again with Sealy or the company you're dealing with, they are fully aware of this matter.  

Has anyone heard of a class action lawsuit going on with this?  There should be if not.  Everyone who purchased the MemoryWorks matress by Sealy need to know they are sleeping on a moldy bed!!  There are so many health problems that stem from mold exposure.  Now I feel like we need to clean our bedroom fully, shampoo & disinfect the whole room, maybe get new carpet & throw away all our bedding.  It's going to cost us more than the bed itself.  We bought the bed on sale, now to get a new bed will cost us more than we originally paid.  I'm so frustrated. We are not giving up in this, & I hope you don't either.  

Reply #18 Oct 13, 2011 4:49 PM
metoo wrote:

MattressDan:  The "box spring" is the foundation Sealy sells with this memory foam mattress.  It, therefore, I would assume be compatible with the mattress; obviously, however, it is not.  In fact,  the label attached to the mattress indicates to either use no foundation or only the foundation sold with the mattress, else warranty is void.  As far as warming up the room, it sounds like a good idea, but this memory foam mattress already makes us feel like we're in an incubator.  I couldn't imagine the room being any warmer.  I really think the answer is with the foundation.  Sealy needs to make a product that will allow this mattress to breath.  If only, they would acknowledge the problem.

Actually the warranty says it needs to be used with a supporting foundation or the warranty is void. You can use any other foundation just fine as long as it is supportive.

Reply #19 Oct 29, 2011 5:58 AM
Cyndihall wrote:

Hi, My husband & I purchased a new MemoryWorks foam matress made by Sealy in January 2011 at Macy's, we just dicovered mold growing all over the underside of the matress & all over on the top part of the box spring.  I also found mold growing all over the bedskirt where it touched the bed & boxspring.  I originally discovered the mold when I was moving the bed, because first off our new boxspring broke in half.  We contacted Macy's where we purchased the bed & boxspring & they are giving us a full refund, also, a small credit for new bedding.  I am still waiting for the delivery company to come remove the moldy bed which is now in our garage.  I just discovered from Macy's who we purchased the bed from, that the bed is manufactured in China & there was a bad batch of matresses.  You should be reimbursed for your bed, I would take it up again with Sealy or the company you're dealing with, they are fully aware of this matter.  

Has anyone heard of a class action lawsuit going on with this?  There should be if not.  Everyone who purchased the MemoryWorks matress by Sealy need to know they are sleeping on a moldy bed!!  There are so many health problems that stem from mold exposure.  Now I feel like we need to clean our bedroom fully, shampoo & disinfect the whole room, maybe get new carpet & throw away all our bedding.  It's going to cost us more than the bed itself.  We bought the bed on sale, now to get a new bed will cost us more than we originally paid.  I'm so frustrated. We are not giving up in this, & I hope you don't either.  

HI Cyndihall,

My husband and I also bought a memory works matress form macy's in may of this year. I noticed in August that there were some ants crawling on my bed skirt and when I lifted my bed up there was mold on the matress, box spring and my new bed skirt. We also ordered the "Worry No More" warranty plan from them so I knew that nothing could have spilled and soaked threw the matress. I called Macy's and the sent us out a new bed and gave us a gift card to buy new bedding. Our new bed came and we put our new bedding on it and last week I checkud under the mattress just to make sre no mold was growing again, and sure enough, MOLD was forming again. In the same spot as the last time. My husband and I are so confused as to why this is happening. I was so relieved when I read your comment and realized we are not the only ones. I am going to call Macy's this week and demand my money back, I don't want another bed from them if it's just gonna turn moldy in 2 months. I have Asthma and so do my kids and this is a horrible thing to have in the house. I am so irritated to have to go through this again. Also, when I called Macy's the first time to tell them about the mold the representative told me she had never heard of this problem before. Thank you for sharing... Best of luck to you and your new matress.. 

Reply #20 Nov 1, 2011 11:38 AM
EW!  That is just horribly nasty...imagine if this many people who are on this site all had the same issue, how many people in the world also are affected?  That's HUGE!  You need to contact Sealy directly, obviously the store person has no knowledge of warranties or issues, and make a big stink.  They NEED to warranty your mattress, NOW!  People don't have money to burn these days, and you should not have to buy another mattress because they sold you a faulty one.  Remember, mattress companies sometimes/often try to make things YOUR fault so they don't have to pay(I know this from my S & F warranty issues...what a crappy bed), so don't let this happen.  You can tell them if they are stinkers about this that you have been in contact with others with this same problem, so you are not alone. 

Good luck!

Kait

Reply #21 Nov 18, 2011 7:25 PM
We have had the Sealy Posturepedic Memory foam mattress now for 11 months.  Today we decided to move the mattress 180 degrees and in lifting the mattress up see that the underside of the mattress and the top of the Box Foundation that came as part of the set BOTH have wetness and mold/mildew.  We have been using the mattress protector that came with our purchase 100% of the time we have owned the mattress to keep it from having liquids or stains damage the mattress.  We are trying to clean and dry it, but THIS IS RIDICULOUSWe live in Pasadena California, a relatively dry climate.  I will take this to Sealy.
Reply #22 Nov 19, 2011 5:35 PM
Sounds like a lot of great info and I think that most of it makes sense... With the majority of top manufacturers in America purchasing from a small number of foam companies for their  "memory" foam, the problem reverts back to the foam manufacturer and probably not the end manufacturer (in your case Sealy). If it is moisture, and you are not using a true waterproof cover (something like Gortex material is the best as it breathes and does not change the feel of your mattress), use your warranty service (manufacturer's warranty should apply whether you purchased any "extra" warranty or not) and get a waterproof cover for the replacement mattress/box.

By all means NEVER feel like you don't have the right to state your concern and make a warranty claim.

Furthermore, finding a memory foam option that makes their own versions of foam (rather than buying from the same company that provides for most manufacturers) that receive good reviews. I know both Tempurpedic and Serta's iComfort options both manufacture their own memory foams and both receive very favorable reviews. The most important element of the "right" bed is that you feel comfortable at first... also feel comfortable about 10-15 minutes later (you and your partner in sleeping positions) and that the price is commfortable as well...

Sleep well "chellou"!

Reply #23 Dec 2, 2011 12:22 PM
I am just experiencing this problem with the Sealy Trueform Cools springs m,attress.  When I called Sleepys (reatiler I purchased the mattress from), they immediately told me that "mold" was excluded from the warranty.  I read the warranty and there is no exclusion for "mold."  I complained through the better business bureau and indicated that this mold problem appears to be very common - I directed them to this message board.  A few days later, a Sleepy's representeive called me to say that they spoke to the manufacturer who has now become aware of the problem - sleepy's offered me a credit.  Now, whether sleepy's assertions are true or not, if you are dealing with a retailer who is not as accomdating as Macys, complain to the BBB and link to this message board - it might help, especially if the retailer tells you that the warranty is voided or something.  This really looks like a manufacturing defect.
Reply #24 Dec 13, 2011 4:42 PM
I MAY have an answer to this problem.  My Sealy Trueform Coolsprings mattress was laced with Mold/mildew after just 11 months.  After treating the cover and mattress bottom with various products it looks clean, but inside is another question.  However, in looking at the box spring that came with it  my wife decided to cut off the top of the box spring. 

Guess what....the underlayment is a plastic/foam similar to that you would find under a laminate floor.  No wonder the mattress above can't breath from below, IT LAYS ON THIS PLASTIC.  The box spring came as part of a package from the manufacturer.

Reply #25 Dec 13, 2011 5:09 PM
GuyMakesSense wrote:

Sounds like a lot of great info and I think that most of it makes sense... With the majority of top manufacturers in America purchasing from a small number of foam companies for their  "memory" foam, the problem reverts back to the foam manufacturer and probably not the end manufacturer (in your case Sealy). If it is moisture, and you are not using a true waterproof cover (something like Gortex material is the best as it breathes and does not change the feel of your mattress), use your warranty service (manufacturer's warranty should apply whether you purchased any "extra" warranty or not) and get a waterproof cover for the replacement mattress/box.

By all means NEVER feel like you don't have the right to state your concern and make a warranty claim.

Furthermore, finding a memory foam option that makes their own versions of foam (rather than buying from the same company that provides for most manufacturers) that receive good reviews. I know both Tempurpedic and Serta's iComfort options both manufacture their own memory foams and both receive very favorable reviews. The most important element of the "right" bed is that you feel comfortable at first... also feel comfortable about 10-15 minutes later (you and your partner in sleeping positions) and that the price is commfortable as well...

Sleep well "chellou"!

Yes, I agree 100% contact the manufacture for warranty on this. I am sure sealy will work with you on this issue.

Actually iComfort is manufactured by either Foamex or carpenter I cant remember exactly which one and only the top couple of layers on iComfort is memory foam the core and support layers are not memory foam. The only companies that curently manyfacture their own foam that I know of is Tempurpedic and Simmons, but even simmons buys the majority of its foams and only manufactures the foam for certian beds like Comforpedic and some of the Beautyrest mattresses.

This message was modified Dec 13, 2011 by DaveStro
Reply #26 Dec 24, 2011 5:47 PM
Chelleu, 

I just found the exact same problem.  The top of the mattress is clean and dry but underneath is wet and covered with mold.  Did you get anything resolved?  Any advise would be welcomed.

Cody

chelleu wrote:

Reply #27 Dec 25, 2011 6:43 PM
We have had our Sealy for about 10 months. This evening I rotated the mattress and noticed the huge mildew stain both on the mattess and on the box springs. This makes me sick to my stomach to think how much we spent on the bed and poor quality we got out of it.  We purchases ours from a local furniture store. So you recommend contacting them first or going directly through Sealy? 
Reply #28 Dec 26, 2011 10:24 AM
We are on our 2nd Sealy mattress in less than 6 months.  The first one had moisture that tured to mold.  The mattress store replaced it, and now we just found out today that this one is wet, which we know will turn into mold like the first one.  There is no way we can keep this with the mold health concern.  I'm about to call them yet again, but I have a feeling this is not going to go good for me. We live in a town house, and  we do not have a moisture problem, but for some reason we having moisture problems with the foam mattress.  I can only hope that it's a big enough problem that Sealy has a recall.  Something isn't right.
Reply #29 Dec 27, 2011 4:12 PM
The mattress store is going to replace the 2nd mattress with a latex mattress at cost.  They totally came through for us!  Good luck folks... 
Reply #30 Dec 28, 2011 3:10 PM
Sealy is replacing our mattress and box springs. I called the 1-800 number and they asked me to send a picture in an email.  They responded within the hour. They said they have never heard of these problems. I thought that was kind of funny that they have never heard of the mold problem, but offered to replace it within an hour. I suggest contacting Sealy directly.
Reply #31 Jan 6, 2012 8:41 PM
In October of 2011, we bought a new Sealy mattress and boxsping.  Today, we lifted up the mattress and discovered the bottom of the mattress was wet and had a large patch of mold growing in the middle of the bottom of our mattress.  There was also mold and wetness on the top of the boxspring as well.  We went to the place we purchased the bed, Bryant Furniture (Herrin, Illinois).  The manager told us he had never heard of this problem and advised his store and Sealy do not warranty any mattresses which are stained.  We have not spilled any liquids on the mattress and the top of the mattress is completely dry.  One would expect a mattress and boxspring which cost us about $1,000 would not have such issues.  
Reply #32 Jan 10, 2012 2:33 PM
If you haven't spilled anything on the mattress and the mattress is in pristine condition other than the factory defect, take pictures and raise H*#@ with Sealy. They will cave and take care of the issue. Trust me. I have seen this type of thing happen before and the retailer isn't going to bat for you because they don't want to eat the delivery costs. Stand your ground, be firm, and Sealy will replace it I assure you.
Reply #33 Jan 31, 2012 12:01 AM
Cyndihall wrote:

Reply #34 Jan 31, 2012 12:08 AM
We woke up to the same problem this morning. Macy's quickly agreed to replace our mattress. We have to wait till march for our replacement, annoyed that we have no other choice but to sleep on a moldy mattress.  Should we shop around for a new different mattress or try again with the same type?
Reply #35 Jan 31, 2012 3:41 PM
This is a huge problem. We had the same thing happen to us with a mattress from Living Spaces. The bed was sagging and we took off the cover when we turned. The WHOLE mattress is COVERED in black mold. My husband has had a cough for a while and this mold is suspect. I called the company and they offered to pick up and give us a refund. So what about sleeping on mold for over a year? They tried to tell us it was our fault. I wish all of us would band together and start a class action lawsuit for allowing this harmful product to be sold. 
Reply #36 Jan 31, 2012 7:23 PM
Yes it is a very big problem, which is why we stopped carrying the sealy foam over a year ago. I can tell you for sure it isnt your fault. There are to many people that have had the same issue.
Reply #37 Jan 31, 2012 7:31 PM
petes67bird wrote:

Normally this occurs from sleeping hot and sweating.  When you sweat on a memory foam mattress, it gets absorbed and sinks to the bottom.  Oftentimes there isnt enough of circulation allow it to dry and it gets moldy, this is well known about memory foam mattresses.  What should of happened when you purchased the mattress was that a salesman should of tried to persuade you to purchase a mattress protector, such as Protect A Bed which is a waterproof yet breathable mattress guard.  Now that this has occurred to you, 99.9% of mattress companies will deny ALL of your warranty claims due to soiling and not properly protecting your investment.  When you buy a new mattress, the 80 bucks for the protector is a must if you ever plan on wanting to have a warranty.  Sorry I couldnt give you better news.

This is really not true. We have never had this complaint with Simmons Comforpedic, Tempurpedic, Park Place foam or Southerland foam products  and not everyone has purchased a mattress protector for those. You would have to sweat a tremndous amount for it to soak all the way through the foam mattress enough to cause mold to grow between the mattress and the boxspring. memory foam is also an open celled structure, which is far more breatheable than the standard poly foams. Also no where in the warranty does it say anything about requiring a mattress protector for your warranty. This issue is does not void the warranty from any manufacture as it is a material defect and not something the home owner did wrong. Right now this is a well known issue with the sealy foam mattress.

Reply #38 Jan 31, 2012 7:33 PM
jimsocal wrote:

First of all, do you know that ANY stain will void your mattress warranty? That is why you should always use a breatheable mattress protector at least until you decide to keep it. I laugh at this because people spend thousands on a mattress in part because they love the beautiful ticking and quality mattress materials... and then they have to put an ugly synthetic mattress protector on it to protect their warranty!

Even a small - tiny - stain will void the warranty. Of course they may still decide to honor it especially on a new mattress and especially if you threaten to make some noise at the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission and post all over the internet about their company if they don't help you take care of this problem.

So make noise and do not accept "no" for an answer.

Meanwhile document your problems in writing and with photos. Send Sealy a certified letter they have to sign for. Find out who the Sealy rep is for your area and send him or her a certified letter with photos and make it clear you will not take no for an answer, that you want satisfaction for your problem.

If your mattress vendor has an exchange policy you may have to use it. Many of them are now charging 20% or more in restocking fees plus delivery fees so it may legally cost you some money to exchange or return it. However, push them for free exchange if it is defective. The key: Make noise. No one wants bad BBB rating and bad publicity.

Except for Tempurpedic :) They do not put that clause in their warranty

Reply #39 Apr 8, 2012 8:48 AM
My husband and I purchased a queen size Sealy mattress that grew a large diameter of black mold in the center between the mattress and box spring. Our furniture retailer called Sealy and they replaced it immediately with another one. Now the newest mattress is also growing mold. We had replaced all of our carpet, painted the room, bought a new comforter and duvet,  and use a mattress protecting mattress pad. I also recently underwent sinus surgery and now need to have a mold free environment more than ever. We do not use a dust ruffle and nothing is under the bed. We don't flip it, we rotate it, and that is how we saw the mold beginning again. There is no way that anything could have gotten between our bed and mattress. I have contacted my dealer and he is coming out Monday to look at it. He said that they have many other mattresses in the area and no other complaints. I feel that we could be labeled as problem customers but we really didn't create the problem. I have copied the link from this page to them and submitted our request both in writing and in direct contact. We will see what happens Monday. Hopefully the furniture store will fight our battle as they usually stand behind their products. If I were them I would begin looking for a different distributor of latex mattresses. If it is an option I think we will pass on latex. Although I love it, this is not worth the discomfort and inconvenience for both us and the dealer.
Reply #40 Apr 23, 2012 12:33 AM
Today my wife discovered mold beneath our THIRD MATTRESS.  The first 2 replacements were made quickly without question and well within the warranty period, although the furniture store did also say they had never heard of this problem too.  With the second replacement, we learned of at least one more mattress in our area that had been replaced due to a similar issue.  

I will be calling them tomorrow and do hope for success.  We will not be replacing with memory foam, by the way.  

I would definitely be on board if a class action suit did come of this.  Nobody should have to suffer with any physical or emotional effect of any product.      

H&K  

Reply #41 Jun 25, 2012 1:55 PM
I am having this problem right now with my mattress.  We purchased this mattress in March 2011, it was delivered April 2011 and we started feeling like our bed was "sinking".  So we lifted it up and noticed that black and all types of mold are growing all over the bottom of the mattress.  We put it in a waterproof protected cover the day they delivered it.  The Macy's guys were still at my house! They actually helped me put the cover on it! I keep calling people but they are giving me the run around.  Between Macy's the actual store where I purchased the mattress, Macy's the customer service line (888-822-6229) and Sealy (800-697-3259).  They keep telling me that it's because I live somewhere humid, and that I waited too long to contact them and that mold isn't covered under warranty.  Who notices mold growing on the bottom of the bed when it's a "no flip" bed?  To top it off, my husbands asthma has been acting up and we had brand new carpet installed one week before the bed was delivered.  There is no telling what is growing on the carpet and in the rest of the linens.  This has so stop!  I am tired of people telling me it's my fault for their product being defective.

Does anyone have any other advice that may help?

Thanks,

Valerie

This message was modified Jun 25, 2012 by ValCWilliams
Reply #42 Jun 25, 2012 2:03 PM
Cyndihall wrote:

Did you ever get anything figured out with this.  And class action lawsuits?  People can seriously get sick from this.  My husbands asthma has been acting up more and I don't want him anywhere near this bed!  Please any advice would be good advice.

Reply #43 Jun 25, 2012 2:07 PM
DaveStro wrote:

Yes it is a very big problem, which is why we stopped carrying the sealy foam over a year ago. I can tell you for sure it isnt your fault. There are to many people that have had the same issue.

Dave is there anywhere online where this problem is documented?

I need to have this fixed but I keep getting the run around!

Please help, any links or numbers would be helpful!

Reply #44 Sep 9, 2012 6:50 PM
I havent even made it through all the posts... i was going to wash the bed linens... and i was going to flip head to toe... my latex mattress.... isnt suppsed to be flipped when i realized the mold.... the only difference is that if i remember correctly my mattress is made out of latex.... its not supposed to have mold issues... but it could just be the outer fabric lining thats affected.

my 6 month old baby girl has slept entire life in her bassinet right next to this mold factory and as you can imagine im livid....

when i found the mold i went out and bought a brand new mattress....

i need to find the papers this mattress came with... i believe it was a seeley... but i have no idea if it was the same one that you purchased... the mattress has a label on it that has a serial number and it says void of warranty if label is removed... not the exact wording but.... oh im so made... if there is a lawsuit im all in.... I bought this mattress at the raymour and flanighan clearance center, the warranty might be voided because of that....

Reply #45 Sep 26, 2012 12:08 PM
I am glad to have found this forum as reading through the posts we are not the only one with the problem of the mold. We have found that our Sealy Memory Foam mattress not to be the best on our backs. After saving for a new mattress we were ready to change. The Sealy we had looked brand new no stains etc., but when we lifted it up to take it out there was black mold spots all over top of box springs, underneath mattress and also found it on bed skirt! I was freaking out as I have dogs that sleep in the room with us and am worried for them. Now I'm worried about the carpet and the bedding that had been used on the one we just took off. Can I just use the sanitizer on my washer for sheets and comforter or do I need to discard them. By the way NOTHING has ever gotten wet which would cause any moisture. What about the carpet? I vacuum all the time, could I be spreading the spores of mold? The carpet is about 2yrs old. Shampoo it? Today we will be contacting Sealy. My main concern with all of this is what damage it can or has on us and our Golden's!
Reply #46 Oct 3, 2012 2:02 PM
The original post was quite a while ago, but hopefully someone else can confirm or deny this:

I gather that the condensation and subsequent mold/mildew was viewable to the naked eye (post(s) describe spots or a spot of a color).

But what if the memory foam wreaks of mildew but can not be seen at all?

Reply #47 Feb 3, 2013 7:00 PM
tuesday wrote:

The original post was quite a while ago, but hopefully someone else can confirm or deny this:

I gather that the condensation and subsequent mold/mildew was viewable to the naked eye (post(s) describe spots or a spot of a color).

But what if the memory foam wreaks of mildew but can not be seen at all?

Two years ago my husband and I purchased a whole new bedroom set, which included the Sealy Bay Island Memory Foam mattress and box springs. We were in love with it until about six months later I lifted the mattress and saw a 6 foot by 3 foot section of mold! I was furious and called Sealy. They replaced it (which took about six months!) and said that this was highly unusual and they were certain this would not happen a second time if we want to have it replaced with the same thing, which we did because we loved it. Four months ago I started having numerous health issues. I bet I have been to the doctors about two dozen times, in which I have had CT Scans, MRI's, bloodwork three times, etc... and they have not found anything wrong with me. About a week ago I lifted my mattress up and found mold all underneath of it again! This time when I called Sealy I wasn't so nice and demanded that this be replaced immediately. I have to wait for the paperwork, which should be here tomorrow and then it better not take long. I want this out of my house now! I go back to the doctors again tomorrow and they are going to refer me to an allergist, which is about the only specialist I haven't been to yet and I know for certain that it is the mold that has been causing all of my health issues. Before this I was an extremely outgoing, healthy thirty year old. I have been so sick these last four months that I wasn't even able to sign my four year old up for dance class because I barely can make it through my work day. As it is I have had to take numerous days off to go to my doctors appointments. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they are still selling these mattresses!

Reply #48 Feb 9, 2013 3:51 PM
We purchased a Sealy Latex Foam Mattress, Shelter model just about two years ago.  We have been turning the mattress but felt it was sagging a bit so we lifted up the mattress, only to find black and green mold growing between the mattress and box spring (My bed skirt was covered plus it was on the boxspring and mattress).  YUCK!  We were shocked since we paid $2966 for the mattress and boxspring.  I contacted where we got it and they came and looked at it.  They said they have never seen anything like it and would talk to the Sealy Rep.  They called me back and said the Sealy Rep said, they have never had any moisture, mold complaints.  They offered to replace the box spring only. They said because we live around a creek and have a crawl space under our house and probably humid in our area, it must be our problem and not the mattress.  They also recommened selling us a moisture proof boxspring cover (thankfully at their cost). They also recommended we take off the cover on the latex foam and get it drycleaned.  We are very disappointed.  Don't they sell these mattress is humid areas like Florida?  Obviously from all the posts here about mold and moisture between the mattress and boxspring, there are issues. We'll be lifting the very heavy mattress every week to check for new mold.  There are probably many more people with this problem but since its a no flip mattress people turn it an don't lift it up.  So sad since we can't get a new mattress again so soon. 
Reply #49 May 10, 2013 7:06 PM
This problem primarilly affects foam mattresses and is caused by perspiration and poor ventillation under the mattress.

Almost everyone perspires constantly, and depending on temperature, much of this can happen at night. Some of this moisture goes into the mattress and, if ventillation below the mattress is good, it simply evaporates.

Poor ventillation (a waterproof boxspring, carpeted floor, plywood, etc.) is a different story. Moisture will pool between the mattress and the surface below, encouraging mould to grow. Darkness and bodyheat compound the problem. Air usually penetrates 10-12 inches into the mattress evaporating moisture around the edges and focusing the mould towards the center.

Unfortunately there is no effective way to clean a mattress after mould has appeared. Prevention is the best method:

• Buy a mattress with corrugated airflow layers
  • Use a breathable boxspring
  • Use a slatted bed-base (no more than 2" between slats for best support)
This message was modified May 13, 2013 by novosbed
Reply #50 Jul 22, 2013 12:44 AM
My husband and I also bought the Macy's MemoryWorks mattress along with the worrynomore plan in January 2011! I am terrified because we just noticed mold sad Apparently the plans covers up to 10 years, so if you all could please pray for me and my husband, I would really appreciate it. Any word on a class action suit? I can't believe this. I am in shock.
Reply #51 Aug 30, 2013 5:14 PM
ValCWilliams wrote:

Did you ever get anything figured out with this.  And class action lawsuits?  People can seriously get sick from this.  My husbands asthma has been acting up more and I don't want him anywhere near this bed!  Please any advice would be good advice.

This message was modified Aug 30, 2013 by Sunshine7641
Reply #52 Aug 30, 2013 6:34 PM

I do not have a bed from sealy , but I have a memory works , olive works ultra soft.  from Macy's . I have had my bed for about three years and when I went to change the bed skirt I noticed mold growing in mine. I freaked out and called Macy's. they are giving me a 100% refund to go pick out a new bed since they can't replace my bed due to they don't make it my style anymore. I was gonna research to see enynthrybstopped making it and found that there is a problem with the seakys as well. Does anyone know if its  all the memory foam mattress ? I would call Macy's they have life time warranties on all mattress .. 

Reply #53 Oct 4, 2013 4:23 PM
iComnfort is actually a Serta product.  Rates quite well.  Think it may even be a step above Tempurpedic at the moment!
Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress had moisture condensation underneath
Reply #54 Oct 7, 2013 12:16 PM
looking through this thread bubbles up a couple of questions:

1. is this mold problem strickly related to Memory Foam, or have people also experienced the problem with Latex?
  2. If the answer is yes to Latex, is the problem associated to synthetic foams (be it Latex or Memory foam) or do people see this with 100% natural foams as well?
  3. the thread specifically mentions Sealy?  Is this JUST a Sealy problem?  That is to say, a bad manufacturing formula for their foam? or is this more systemic?
  4. One person mentioned that the iComfort was highly rated.  Since the indication was that this was really a Serta product, would one expect similar problems with this line as well?

We are looking at purchasing a foam mattress of some sort, but my wife is handicapped, and the LAST thing we need (as many of you would agree to) is to have mold growing on the mattress.  I had been looking at 100% organic latex, but had seen the iComforts which my wife found comfortable as well.  Depending on the answers, this could drive my decision one way or the other.

This message was modified Oct 7, 2013 by charnlar
Reply #55 Nov 6, 2013 6:20 PM
I found the same problem lurking between my Sealy box spring and memory foam firm mattress today, so i called Macy's. At first Macy's said that they would have to send a technician out to confirm the problem was in fact the mattress and not my doing. So i told the customer service rep about this forum, and pointed out all the youtube videos online (which both showed up with my first google search). She still tried to tell me a tech would have to come by my house, so i asked to talk with the manager. I did not get to talk with the manager, but instead the same rep came back and told me that Sealy has had problems with this type of mattress and that they (Macy's) will take the whole king size set back and replace it no charge to me. I guess if you have this problem point out the facts that are readily available online, and talk to the manager of the place you purchased your moldy mattress from. good luck
Reply #56 Nov 20, 2013 9:48 AM
No offense to anyone here but this all makes me wonder if the moisture complaints come from homes that do not use a HVAC unit very often. A mildly humid house plus a couple perspiring on the bed all night could lead to problems. I sleep on a couple inches of latex and just to make sure things air out I leave the covers down for a good while in the morning. Is there a chemical property of MF that could possibly cause this?
Reply #57 Jan 2, 2014 1:12 PM
I just wanted to contribute to the thread since it's January of 2014, and we are having issues with our Sealy memory foam bed from Macy's as well.  Ours was purchased nearly four years ago, and when my husband was rotating the mattress just a few days ago, the boxspring was soaked, along with the underside of the mattress, plus there was mold all over the bed.  That's just disgusting, not to mention that I've been ill for the last couple months, fighting infections that just won't go away.  

When I contacted Macy's the store manager had no idea what I was talking about, but the furniture department employee was nice, gave me the number to corporate service.  They also were very kind.  It took a total of about five minutes for them to realize that they needed to get rid of this bed and give us every dollar we spent as a credit to use towards a new bed.  There will be no charge for delivery or disposal of our old bed so every penny will be used towards the bed only.  I'm upset that this happened, but I'm thrilled with the way they dealt with this.  If you're having this issue, I highly suggest you try doing the same thing.   

Reply #58 Jan 3, 2014 6:49 PM
Dear Friends and Family,

Look we are trusting these mattress company's to do the testing before they sell us a mattress that generates toxic mold. I did not even receive a care manual with my mattress. Then people are told to take care of the problem on there own??WTF! I have a Sealy Natural Latex mattress and It is MOLD AND MILDEW RESISTANT. So why did I find toxic mold on the bottom of my mattress? Between the box spring and Mattress its self????? I say we start a list of people interested in making sure this does not happen to anyone else. If you wanna sue! email me at djstickymix@yahoo.com. Take a look at the signs and symptoms you or you baby's may be experiencing due to this company's negligent. Owww it just a little mold just air it out by a window???? WTF Yea and spread mold spores oll over you bedroom!!!!!This is serious stuff my friends. Our heart goes out to you and your family.

My name is Sevenths,

http://www.moldsymptoms.org/

• Constant Headaches
  • Nose Bleeds
  • Feelings of Constant Fatigue
  • Breathing Disorders
  • Coughing up Blood or Black looking Debris
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Weight Loss
  • Hair loss
  • Skin Rashes
  • Open Sores on the Skin
  • Memory Loss "Short Term"
  • Neurological & Nervous Disorders
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Swollen Glands in the Neck Area and under the Armpit
  • Sudden Asthma Attacks or Breathing Disorders
  • Ear Infections and Pain
  • Chronic Sinus Infections
  • Chronic Bronchitis
  • Pain in the Joints and Muscles
Reply #59 Oct 15, 2015 8:13 PM
We bought a Seely matress a couple of years ago. One year ago stains keep appering .I kept cleaning it, but I discover more.
I know there is a class action agianst seely for sugging matress , maybe we can joing in for the condensation stain.
The warrenty doesn't work if thete are stains on the matress!
Who can we contact
Reply #60 Sep 24, 2016 11:39 PM
I bought a queen Blue Lake Sealy memory foam (firm) in 2009. I have not rotated the mattress as I sleep on both sides equally. I bought a new frame last week and found mold between the mattress and box spring. I pulled the zippered cover back and its on the mattress itself. What has become of the rest of the lawsuits, non responsive stores, etc. I bought this from a store that sold and changed the name . They have resumed using the old name, so I'm assuming its back to the original owners, Conlins. I still have this bed in my house. I would like to have ammo when I go talk to them. Thanks!

Recent Posts