Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
May 9, 2011 12:38 PM
I am at a loss. Our brand new mattress that we have had since April 22 is exhibiting a damp, moisture problem on the underside of the memory foam mattress and the top of support. Not only that but there are two small rust-like or maybe mildew like stains on both the underside of the mattress and the top of the support. I called Sealy and they could not help me saying they had never heard of this problem. I called the place of purchase and he said he had never heard of this problem either and that we should try airing the mattress out near a window (we are in an apartment). I have no idea why there is moisture condensation under the mattress if the first place. What good will it do to air it out, if it happens again? Has anyone had this problem, or know of what to do? Thank you for your time.
Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
Reply #51 Aug 30, 2013 5:14 PM
ValCWilliams wrote:

Did you ever get anything figured out with this.  And class action lawsuits?  People can seriously get sick from this.  My husbands asthma has been acting up more and I don't want him anywhere near this bed!  Please any advice would be good advice.

This message was modified Aug 30, 2013 by Sunshine7641
Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
Reply #52 Aug 30, 2013 6:34 PM

I do not have a bed from sealy , but I have a memory works , olive works ultra soft.  from Macy's . I have had my bed for about three years and when I went to change the bed skirt I noticed mold growing in mine. I freaked out and called Macy's. they are giving me a 100% refund to go pick out a new bed since they can't replace my bed due to they don't make it my style anymore. I was gonna research to see enynthrybstopped making it and found that there is a problem with the seakys as well. Does anyone know if its  all the memory foam mattress ? I would call Macy's they have life time warranties on all mattress .. 

Reply #53 Oct 4, 2013 4:23 PM
iComnfort is actually a Serta product.  Rates quite well.  Think it may even be a step above Tempurpedic at the moment!
Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress had moisture condensation underneath
Reply #54 Oct 7, 2013 12:16 PM
looking through this thread bubbles up a couple of questions:

1. is this mold problem strickly related to Memory Foam, or have people also experienced the problem with Latex?
  2. If the answer is yes to Latex, is the problem associated to synthetic foams (be it Latex or Memory foam) or do people see this with 100% natural foams as well?
  3. the thread specifically mentions Sealy?  Is this JUST a Sealy problem?  That is to say, a bad manufacturing formula for their foam? or is this more systemic?
  4. One person mentioned that the iComfort was highly rated.  Since the indication was that this was really a Serta product, would one expect similar problems with this line as well?

We are looking at purchasing a foam mattress of some sort, but my wife is handicapped, and the LAST thing we need (as many of you would agree to) is to have mold growing on the mattress.  I had been looking at 100% organic latex, but had seen the iComforts which my wife found comfortable as well.  Depending on the answers, this could drive my decision one way or the other.

This message was modified Oct 7, 2013 by charnlar
Reply #55 Nov 6, 2013 6:20 PM
I found the same problem lurking between my Sealy box spring and memory foam firm mattress today, so i called Macy's. At first Macy's said that they would have to send a technician out to confirm the problem was in fact the mattress and not my doing. So i told the customer service rep about this forum, and pointed out all the youtube videos online (which both showed up with my first google search). She still tried to tell me a tech would have to come by my house, so i asked to talk with the manager. I did not get to talk with the manager, but instead the same rep came back and told me that Sealy has had problems with this type of mattress and that they (Macy's) will take the whole king size set back and replace it no charge to me. I guess if you have this problem point out the facts that are readily available online, and talk to the manager of the place you purchased your moldy mattress from. good luck
Reply #56 Nov 20, 2013 9:48 AM
No offense to anyone here but this all makes me wonder if the moisture complaints come from homes that do not use a HVAC unit very often. A mildly humid house plus a couple perspiring on the bed all night could lead to problems. I sleep on a couple inches of latex and just to make sure things air out I leave the covers down for a good while in the morning. Is there a chemical property of MF that could possibly cause this?
Reply #57 Jan 2, 2014 1:12 PM
I just wanted to contribute to the thread since it's January of 2014, and we are having issues with our Sealy memory foam bed from Macy's as well.  Ours was purchased nearly four years ago, and when my husband was rotating the mattress just a few days ago, the boxspring was soaked, along with the underside of the mattress, plus there was mold all over the bed.  That's just disgusting, not to mention that I've been ill for the last couple months, fighting infections that just won't go away.  

When I contacted Macy's the store manager had no idea what I was talking about, but the furniture department employee was nice, gave me the number to corporate service.  They also were very kind.  It took a total of about five minutes for them to realize that they needed to get rid of this bed and give us every dollar we spent as a credit to use towards a new bed.  There will be no charge for delivery or disposal of our old bed so every penny will be used towards the bed only.  I'm upset that this happened, but I'm thrilled with the way they dealt with this.  If you're having this issue, I highly suggest you try doing the same thing.   

Reply #58 Jan 3, 2014 6:49 PM
Dear Friends and Family,

Look we are trusting these mattress company's to do the testing before they sell us a mattress that generates toxic mold. I did not even receive a care manual with my mattress. Then people are told to take care of the problem on there own??WTF! I have a Sealy Natural Latex mattress and It is MOLD AND MILDEW RESISTANT. So why did I find toxic mold on the bottom of my mattress? Between the box spring and Mattress its self????? I say we start a list of people interested in making sure this does not happen to anyone else. If you wanna sue! email me at djstickymix@yahoo.com. Take a look at the signs and symptoms you or you baby's may be experiencing due to this company's negligent. Owww it just a little mold just air it out by a window???? WTF Yea and spread mold spores oll over you bedroom!!!!!This is serious stuff my friends. Our heart goes out to you and your family.

My name is Sevenths,

http://www.moldsymptoms.org/

• Constant Headaches
  • Nose Bleeds
  • Feelings of Constant Fatigue
  • Breathing Disorders
  • Coughing up Blood or Black looking Debris
  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Weight Loss
  • Hair loss
  • Skin Rashes
  • Open Sores on the Skin
  • Memory Loss "Short Term"
  • Neurological & Nervous Disorders
  • Sexual Dysfunction
  • Swollen Glands in the Neck Area and under the Armpit
  • Sudden Asthma Attacks or Breathing Disorders
  • Ear Infections and Pain
  • Chronic Sinus Infections
  • Chronic Bronchitis
  • Pain in the Joints and Muscles
Reply #59 Oct 15, 2015 8:13 PM
We bought a Seely matress a couple of years ago. One year ago stains keep appering .I kept cleaning it, but I discover more.
I know there is a class action agianst seely for sugging matress , maybe we can joing in for the condensation stain.
The warrenty doesn't work if thete are stains on the matress!
Who can we contact
Reply #60 Sep 24, 2016 11:39 PM
I bought a queen Blue Lake Sealy memory foam (firm) in 2009. I have not rotated the mattress as I sleep on both sides equally. I bought a new frame last week and found mold between the mattress and box spring. I pulled the zippered cover back and its on the mattress itself. What has become of the rest of the lawsuits, non responsive stores, etc. I bought this from a store that sold and changed the name . They have resumed using the old name, so I'm assuming its back to the original owners, Conlins. I still have this bed in my house. I would like to have ammo when I go talk to them. Thanks!

Recent Posts