Pocket Coil vs Innerspring Coil
Mar 21, 2012 1:50 AM
I need some good advise. We had a Sealy Midnight Serenade Plush Euro Pillowtop King (Sears) mattress we purchased in 2010. We really loved the mattress, as it was very plush. We started having issues recently where the pillowtop portion of the mattress began to sag to the sides. This resulted in our pillows falling between the mattress and head board. We worked with the Sears Mattress warranty department and they agreed to replace our mattress with the 2012 version of the Midnight Serenade mattress. They delivered the replacement mattress over the weekend and I noticed immedietly that the comfort level wasn't the same. The 2012 version of the mattress feels more like the firm version of the mattress we purchased in 2010. I went into the Sears showroom to discuss this with the sales representative. He explained that due to changes in the inner spring coils and an extra layer of latex that was added the result was a stiffer mattress. The 2012 version of the Midnight Serenade has a coil count of 864. The coils are Sealy's patented Titanium DSx innerspring coils. 

As the mattress didn't meet the same comfort level of our previous mattress we contacted the Sears mattress warranty department and they agreed we could look for another mattress that has a similar comfort level to our previous mattress. We couldn't find anything in the Sealy lineup that was as plush as our old mattress. The Sears sales representative recommended we take a look at the Simmons Beatyrest mattresses. We were able to find a mattress that felt very similar to our previous mattress at a similar price point. The model we found is the Simmons Beautyrest Copacabana Plush Pillowtop King (Sears) mattress. It has a pocket coil system instead of the traditional innerspring coil. The coil count for this mattress is 1088. The coils are made of high carbon steel. This mattress has a 360 degree foam encasement edge suport system with QuantumLock which should prevent the issue we just experienced with our previous Sealy mattress sagging along the edges.

Which of these two mattresses do you feel will be better both comfort wise and durability wise in the long haul? My wife has lower back issues so I would think the pocketed coils on the Simmons Beautyrest would be a plus, as well as the fact that with pocketed coils it should conform to both of our body types better than a traditional innerspring coil system. The Sears sales representative also indicated that they typically get less mattress returns with the Simmons Beautrest brand than they do with the Sealy brand.

Recent Posts