Please help us decide which latex mattress would be best for us!
May 14, 2011 1:53 PM
We are currently sleeping on a king size, 4 inch, B F Goodrich, TexFoam, 100% Rubber Latex Foam, Extra Firm mattress, which is 47 years old. The label states that is is 31 - 37 lbs. Certified Compression. We bought that mattress because I was having back problems. My husband made the platform for the mattress from plywood.  There has been no distortion in the mattress we currently own, though it is starting to dry out and get hard on the edges. Also we are in our 70's now and have a bit of pressure discomfort. My husband raised the head of the bed about 3 1/2 inches with plywood to help my acid reflux. The ticking on the cover slides down, which is not only annoying, we are concerned that it will wear out.

We both have back, shoulder and other sleep problems now, so are looking for something a bit softer, but with the firmness we need for our backs. We are also considering adjustable beds but wonder if the pieces would slide apart or the cover would slide like the one we have now.

I am interested in the Tranquility with two 3" layers of foam from Savvy Rest, because we don't want a mattress that makes the bed too difficult to make or high to get in and out of easily, but when I spoke to Savvy Rest, they said the Tranquility is not recommended for adults, only children. We both weigh under 150 lbs, (husband is about 5'10" and I am 5'5"), since we've been sleeping on the 4 inch mattress, we think that would suit us.

However I am concerned about slippage between the two mattresses, especially since we have the head of the bed raised and have slippage problems now. I am also wondering if the foam will wear out more quickly with that crease where the bed is raised.

We are traveling to Ashville, North Carolina to test Savvy Rest mattresses in a few weeks. I am concerned about the warranty on the mattress which Savvy Rest stated would be 20 years. I asked if they would abide by the warranty and she stated that they would if there were more than an inch of a depression. This scares the dickens out of me since there is no returning the mattress and even if you could, the expense of shipping is astronomical! I am extremely concerned about the possibility that we will not like the new mattress or it will be uncomfortable, then we will be stuck with an expensive albatross around our necks.

I have researched mattresses locally, even going back to the store where we purchased our original mattress, to no avail. There is no "natural" latex available here in the Louisville, Ky area. There are other types of foams to be had, but they are not natural.

I guess what I'm asking is for help deciding what latex mattress to buy. I can't say that what we have is not working for us, which I believe is Dunlop, it is just that our hips and shoulders are a bit sore. I think I'd like to buy a new mattress close to what we have, if it is available anywhere, because this mattress is so old, and then add a little something to make it a bit softer in those areas. I don't know what ILD the mattress we have is either, I only know what it says on the label. 

What we DO know is that we don't want to be fooling with sending layers back and forth at our age, or getting stuck with something that doesn't work for us if at all possible.

Thanks for any advice!

This message was modified May 15, 2011 by Phoebe2011
Re: Please help us decide which latex mattress would be best for us!
Reply #8 May 15, 2011 1:09 PM
Since you asked Phoebe,  we purchased a ReNu series of a Sweda brand made by Lady Americana.  Don't know how widely they are distributed.  Seem to recall they license  companies to build their mattresses in various locations around the country.  Our mattress was made about 60 mi from here.  We bought the softest of the 3 firmness levels and is also the thickest of the 3.  Matress is 12-13 inches thick.  Has several different densities of latex from LI.  The matching foundation comes in 2 different heigths so you have some control over how tall the complete set is.  I'd recommend the thiner of the 2 offerings.
Reply #9 May 15, 2011 11:37 PM
Phoebe2011, I too am concerned about purchasing a bed with no return policy.  But unlike many of the people on this forum, I don't have any health related sleep issues.  I just want a new mattress.  Personally, I think I would be happy with any mattress, even an S one, that felt comfortable with 10 minutes of test time on it.  But given your issues, I would not purchase a mattress without a money back guarantee *if not satisfied*.

I consider a 300 mile ride to test drive a latex mattress a good investment in helping you decide what you want.  It's probably a two day trip, but may prove cheaper than the cost of shipping if you have to return a mattress.  I hear repackaging these can be a big problem since they vacuum seal them.

This message was modified May 16, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #10 May 16, 2011 12:16 AM
Once, I got the hang of it, repackaging the latex cores was so easy with a vacuum cleaner's hose and someone to hold the plastic bag for me.  I live near a UPS store so I had my friend put the boxes in the car and then the UPS store scanned them and they were returned.  The first time, I mailed back a few latex cores, the UPS truck picked them up but then I found it was easier for me to bring them to the store so I would not have to wait around because I did not like to leave the boxes outside.
This message was modified May 17, 2011 by Lynn2006
Reply #11 May 16, 2011 5:00 PM
Lynn2006 wrote:

Once, I got the hang of it, repackaging the latex cores was so easy with a blow dryer and someone to hold the plastic bag for me.  I live near a UPS store so I had my friend put the boxes in the car and then the UPS store scanned them and they were returned.  The first time, I mailed back a few latex cores, the UPS truck picked them up but then I found it was easier for me to bring them to the store so I would not have to wait around because I did not like to leave the boxes outside.

with a blow dryer? how?

Reply #12 May 16, 2011 6:56 PM
RichardP, each latex core comes in two bags.  You put the split latex core in the bigger bag which fits right in and then someone holds the bag while the other person stick the vacuum cleaner's hose in the bag and it shrinks the latex core. Then one person using packing tape to close the bag. Now the big bag will fit inside the little bag not taking up room to keep the shipping cost down. This is how the latex cores arrive also and when the bag is opened, they expand.
This message was modified May 17, 2011 by Lynn2006
Reply #13 May 16, 2011 10:22 PM
Phoebe2011, Please read my reply post under the question about the frame for the Latex mattress.  If you have any questions, I will be sure to check in.  Remember no company is best but make sure what you buy can be adjusted for comfort to suit your needs and had a good exchange and return policy.  I am still amazed at how long your bed lasted.
Reply #14 May 17, 2011 12:12 AM
Lynn, I am confused about using a blow dryer to shrink the latex core, if I understood you. Do you mean the heat itself shrinks it, or how does that work? Please explain further if you can. I thought heat usually makes materials expand and that is why I am confused.Or do you use it to such out the air somehow?

Thank you! It will helpful if there is a way to make it easier to shrink latex for reshipment if necessary, like you suggested.

Reply #15 May 17, 2011 1:25 AM
CORRECTION:  I have not shrunk layers of latex and exchanged them since 2007 year. I have a small vacuum cleaner hose that my friend and I used to shrink the latex. Sorry... not a blow dryer.  I do not know why I remembered it incorrectly but now I remember it was the suction from the vacuum cleaner's hose that shrunk the latex cores. IT was difficult the first time since I had no idea what to do but once I figured it out, it became easy to pack of the latex cores. 
Reply #16 May 17, 2011 9:03 AM
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ..... Albert Einstein
"You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead - your next stop: the Twilight Zone!"

doo doo do do..... doo doo do do....................

Reply #17 May 17, 2011 1:13 PM
jd2000 wrote:

"You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead - your next stop: the Twilight Zone!"

doo doo do do..... doo doo do do....................

jd2000, Can you check your private messages. I had some questions for you. Thanks jd2000

This message was modified May 17, 2011 by richardp

Recent Posts