Omaha Bedding Company
May 6, 2009 2:29 PM
I stayed at a hotel in san francisco a year ago, and it was the best bed i've ever slept on. Found out it was made by Omaha Bedding Company, a small manufacturer in Omaha that makes mattresses for the Four Seasons' hotels, etc. I'm particularly concerned with having no motion transfer, and this bed had NONE! It was amazing!!! I spoke to a man at the company, and he told me that bed has: Offset coils, 13-gauge, 575 coils/mattress (king), and cotton fill. He said the beds tend to last 10 years, and the king costs $1360 including shipping! Pretty good deal from what i read. The mattress was so comfortable--firm, but soft on top.

I thought that pocket coils were the only innersprings offering motion separation...Can someone explain why this mattress is so awesome? And are there others that compare to this one?
Re: Omaha Bedding Company
Reply #1 May 7, 2009 11:02 AM
I think your concern about no motion transfer is probably unfounded.  The springs are connected in an offset coil bed, but IMO they are about the most comfortable choice of all.  I tried a bed with the pocket coils and it was not comfortable.   We had a bed made with offset coils and I don't feel my husband move around, or get up, or cats hop on and off the bed...but if a child chose to jump up and down on the bed like a trampoline I'd probably feel that.  Lack of motion transfer could just be a marketing hype...they have to create a perceived problem to promote the new product. 
Anyway, this bed sounds divine, a wonderful price, and if you've already slept on one and loved it...and remember it from a year ago...that would seem like a great choice to me!  I had a bed made much like this one, but my downfall was letting them put PU foam in it.  That's gonna be changed out. 
Kait
Reply #2 May 7, 2009 4:08 PM
Thanks for your reply! I guess i thought that only pocket coils, and a high count of them, could provide complete motion-isolation. But the sales dude explained that the offset coils are really strong, and the gauge plays a part...And maybe the cotton fill, too?

I've been considering a latex mattress too, but from what i read they're springy--not what i'd expected, or want.
Reply #3 May 10, 2009 3:11 PM
What bed is comfortable to you is all so personal.  The kicker is that the more PU foam in them the less they hold up.   You are leagues ahead of the game finding a good mattress company, with a good price, having already slept on one of their beds and loved it.  Go with what you know, and don't worry about the small stuff.   I think offset coils feel way better than pocketed coils.  There is a reason they sell what they do and are successful at it.  BTW, 13 gauge offset coils are very heavy duty and should hold up for many years.  Sounds like there is just nothing in the mattress to wear out prematurely at all.
Good luck.
Kait
Reply #4 Dec 30, 2009 8:52 PM
I purchased a queen mattress set made by Omaha Bedding,from Nebraska Furniture in August. I had to have the mattress replaced in October as it had caved in on the side I sleep on. I turned it over once in that short period of time. The replacement has caved in already on the side I sleep on and I have turned it once. I weigh 150 pounds.

To make a long story short...I hate this mattress. It's the mushiest globbiest most awful mattress I have ever slept on. I have always purchased Simmons mattresses and they NEVER CAVED IN!!! I would never buy another Omaha Bedding mattress ever again and I am telling everyone I know to do the same. What a waste of my money. Oh...and one more thing...it smelled terrible for about 3 weeks...both the original and the replacement. I understand I can only have this mattress replaced once by Nebraska Furniture...so,I guess I will have to sleep on this"mattress" until I can afford to replace it with one that is comfortable,doesn't cave in and one that doesn't smell bad!

This message was modified Dec 30, 2009 by marcia
Reply #5 Dec 30, 2009 9:27 PM
^^ interesting.  I actually sell Simmons beds and I can't even count on all my fingers and toes the number of them I have had cave in within the first year of ownership.  Thank you for sharing your experience with this other company but I would not exactly use your own personal experience as the standard for Simmons mattresses, atleast not for the ones that are made today.

Offset coils do typically transfer much more motion than an independent coil though, the guage of wire in this case is definitely playing a large role in reducing this.  I have actually had in the past one local company I deal with custom build a mattress for our customers, we basically just wanted a decent spring mattress except instead of a bunch of layers of polyurethane foam we had them upholster it with 3 inches of latex.  When we got the first mattress delivered to our store and we put it on the floor we could tell by just laying on it that they put the wrong springs in it (or we had some kind of miscommunication).  We requested they use pocket coils and they gave us offset coils, the mattress was incredibly bouncy and lacked a solid quality feeling to it, granted it was probably a higher coil count and thinner steel than these Ohama Bedding Company mattresses in question.  We cleared that model out at our cost and got the correct pocket coil model in to replace it, significantly more stable feeling and a lot less motion transfer.

Just thought I would mention because it is one of those rare cases where you know 100% that they did not change any other layer of the mattress other than the coils themselves. 
Reply #6 Feb 14, 2010 12:12 AM
My mattress continues to sag and cave in,even after turning it over four times and rotating it every week for 1 month.

I have come to the final conclusion it is a monstrous piece of junk.

No wonder Omaha Bedding has e-mail address. They KNOW what they are making and they

don't want to do hear it.

What a crummy company. I wish I could tell the world about their

incredibly inferior product.(and I use the term product very loosely!)

This message was modified Feb 14, 2010 by marcia
Reply #7 Jul 22, 2010 9:25 PM
Omaha bedding is junk. Chinese junk! Omaha bedding knows it's junk too.

They tell you to turn it once a week. Who in their right mind would say that.

And,when you get a mattress made by them,it's really really stinky!

I think they stuff their mattresses with dead cats...or worse!

DON'T EVER EVER BUY A MATTRESS MADE BY THEM!

They are con artists!!!

Reply #8 Mar 31, 2011 1:50 PM
My brother has had a king size Omaha Bedding mattress for over 16 years now, and it is just NOW starting to show signs of needing to be replaced.  I've never heard anything but good about them.  Marcia, you must have gotten a lemon or something.  If they were all like you say, then the 5-star resorts would not be using them, I would think.  Maybe you should take your concerns directly to Omaha Bedding and not the retailer, Nebraska Furniture Mart.

C.

Reply #9 May 16, 2011 1:52 PM
Well,I just wanted to post this reply to those who thought I had a fine and fabulous mattress from Omaha Bedding. I had the mattress set for 1 year and 3 months. It was the replacement for the first set that I had for 3 months.

Both were terrrible quality as they caved in, in a matter of days. I weigh 145 pounds. And they both smelled awful for at least 3 months.

May 1, 2011 I purchased a Simmons Beautyrest as I couldn't stand sleeping in a rut on the Omaha Bedding mattress.

I LOVE MY BEAUTYREST!!!!

IT IS FIRM,DOESN'T CAVE IN, AND DOESN'T SMELL BAD. 

So,to those who seem to have known all about MY bed, guess you are wrong!

Reply #10 Dec 8, 2011 9:23 AM
I have not tried the omaha bedding system, but I recently purchased an expensive simmons mattress that became mush after one year.  I think the whole mattress industry is terribly corrupt and is selling junk to consumers.  Someone needs to investigate this industry.

Recent Posts