New topper needed above 3 layers of Talalay latex (28/36/44 ILD)
May 8, 2012 11:07 PM
Our 3" of Sensus memory foam is about eight years old and it appears its comfort life has pretty much ended. Our succeeding layers are 3" 28 ILD Talalay, 3" 36 ILD Talalay, and 3" 44 ILD Talalay. My wife and I are on the heavier side. She has fibromyalgia. We've liked the feel of memory foam for the most part, but it does sleep hot at times. 

I'm inclined to first take the Sensus off the bed and experiment about how the 28 ILD Talalay would feel as a top layer. We've never had latex as the top layer. I suspect it would be too firm, but would it give us some idea that it would be worthwhile to try 19-22 ILD Talalay as the top layer? Could we get away with 2" of soft latex rather than 3" of memory foam? Is there any point to just getting one inch of Sensus/memory foam, but getting 2 additional inches  of latex? 

So here are some options, all in king size: 

1. Simply replace the Sensus; don't mess with success. Best price I can find is Comfort Magic on Amazon (cymax), (about $220 for 2"+1")  but I'm not sure it is real Sensus or not.

2. 3"  Isoform memory foam from Bergad for about $247. I've heard good things about the isoform memory foam on this forum. 

3. 2-3" of 19 ILD Talalay latex, $270-$410, from myfoammattress.com.  

4. Some combination of additional latex, and perhaps just one inch of memory foam. 

In a perfect world we would be ordering from somewhere that would have a liberal return policy, but unfortunately those companies are also significantly more expensive. Thanks for any feedback, thoughts, and ideas anyone can provide. 

Re: New topper needed above 3 layers of Talalay latex (28/36/44 ILD)
Reply #1 May 9, 2012 1:34 AM
I would try the 19 ILD Talalay if I were you, provided you can return it if you don't like it. It's likely better for you than a petro-chemical compound-  you'll be sleeping on it for 1/3 of your life...
Reply #2 May 9, 2012 10:48 AM
Have you ever tried folding the 44 under you and the 36 under her, with the 28 across the top?

Edit:  Oh, I see you once had 44-40-36... you must have swapped the 40 for 28 on top.

Me, I would try a 1-2" 19 Latex topper, if you need more cush.

Here's a bit more topper but it's LI Talalay and in a nice cover.

GK

This message was modified May 9, 2012 by GKDesigns
Reply #3 May 9, 2012 12:11 PM
Thanks for the answers so far. Another possibility would be to go the twin core/piece route to give us more flexibility and she can get what she likes best and I could use what she didn't want since I don't seem to have sleep issues. 
Reply #4 May 9, 2012 1:13 PM
Benjammin wrote:

Thanks for the answers so far. Another possibility would be to go the twin core/piece route to give us more flexibility and she can get what she likes best and I could use what she didn't want since I don't seem to have sleep issues. 

I asked if you have tried this by folding the layers in half to put 6" of 44 under you and 6" of 36 under her with the 28 shared across the top?

GK

Reply #5 May 9, 2012 3:05 PM
^^^

GK, we had done that several years ago. I honestly don't know what the configuration is right now until I unzip the cover and look at the layers. She does like firm support but also needs a comfort layer that works well for her. The memory foam is definitely shot so we'll need a new comfort layer in any event. Maybe I'll take the memory foam off tonight and see how it feels for her sleeping on the 28 ILD Talalay so at least she might have some idea how sleeping directly on latex feels compared to memory foam. Other than the comfort layer, though, we already have a lot of flexibility available with the pieces we have now. 

Reply #6 May 10, 2012 11:06 AM
I took the memory foam off and we slept on the 28 ILD Talalay last night. It was too firm, but my wife (side sleeper) and I (back/side sleeper) both slept well. She didn't report any pains, but my back is a little sore. It did sleep cooler and overall I did not mind the feeling of sleeping "on" the mattress rather than "in" (memory foam) the mattress. 
Reply #7 May 10, 2012 12:26 PM
Benjammin wrote:

I took the memory foam off and we slept on the 28 ILD Talalay last night. It was too firm, but my wife (side sleeper) and I (back/side sleeper) both slept well. She didn't report any pains, but my back is a little sore. It did sleep cooler and overall I did not mind the feeling of sleeping "on" the mattress rather than "in" (memory foam) the mattress. 

I have LI blended 44-36-28.  It is working, but we are still experimenting.  The 28 is a firmish topper.  We are probably going to put 1-2" 19 on top of the cover for cush.  We are trying 44-44-28 and 36-36-28.  I like the firm core... and she likes the shoulder plunge... but it has only been a few nights. 

The trick seems to be to get the 6" core firmness right and keep the topper not too deep and not too firm, which seems to be what one of the SW mattress shops tends to do.  So, the model would be 6-2 or (3-3)-3 and then put 1-2" outside the cover to affect a progressive topper and to put cush next to the body.

LI labels 44, 40, and 36 for core use... and I think that's right.  Build the 6" core to be 44, 40, or 36... then top it with 28, 24, or 19.  And wool.

And then there's zoning it...

GK

Reply #8 May 11, 2012 4:01 PM
GK, you've got the same great raw materials to work with as we do. It's nice having the split cores to mix and match. I had an even better night's sleep last night on the 28 ILD blended talalay, but I still think it's too hard. I am trying to research a new LI latex, Talalay GL http://www.latexmattresscompany.com/gelmefomato.htm l that is supposedly the new and improved replacement to NuForm. It has both memory foam and latex characteristics; marketing-wise it's supposed to provide the best of both, but who knows? We would likely go with 3" because of our weight. The 28 ILD really makes for a great transition layer I think. 
Reply #9 May 26, 2012 1:02 AM
We got a 2" natural latex topper 22 ILD from mattress.net (arizona mattress) and it has really helped to help soften our DIY latex over springs set-up. Enough cush + support and a good price too. Good luck! 

There's also the 5.3 lb memory foam sold at foamorder.com -- I think budgy (a very knowledgeable forum member) got one of them and liked it a lot.

Reply #10 May 9, 2015 1:20 AM
Update: We did the wrong thing. We purchased a 2.5" Novform gel memory foam mattress topper from Costco. It was maybe decent for a year. It's now three years old. 

The good news is that the three latex layers are over eleven years old and going strong. 

So we're back where we started if folks have any suggestions, particularly for a good, reasonable 5lb memory foam or a 20ILD latex topper. 

We also probably need a new zippered mattress cover if anyone has one they really like and can recommend. 

Thanks! 

Recent Posts