New poster needs advice on Latex mattress - not a DIY
Aug 21, 2009 2:56 AM
Hi all, new poster here.  I'm shopping for a new mattress, and after first considering the Tempur bed, I'm now worried about making such a large investment in a mattress that has such polarizing opinions about it.

I'm now thinking about trying a latex mattress.  I'm leery of buying a mattress I haven't tried out online, and I don't want a DIY mattress project, I want one I can try locally and buy ready made.

What seems to be available in my area is the Sealy Spring Free, the Sealy PurEmbrace (I don't understand the difference between these two lines) and the Healthy Back BackTex (which is a rebranded Spring Free as far as I can tell).  I tried the BackTex P5 (plush) in the Healthy Back store and loved it, though my husband said it was too "marshmallow-y" and he wouldn't buy it.

Another brand that seems to be locally available is the Sweda latex bed.  It is described as:

100% natural latex rubber with 2" of pure, organically processed wool. NO POLYURETHANE FOAM, NO POLYESTER FIBER, NO CHEMICAL FIRE RETARDANTS. The mattress contains 6" of firm support latex and 3" of soft, luxurious latex on the top. This mattress is organic, natturally durable, long-lasting and hypo-allergenic. It is natually porous and breathable and good for your health AND the health of the environmnet (100% recyclable).
The ticking is organic cotton and is channel-quilted to pure wool.

Well, that's the description for one model, there are several.

Does anyone have any experience evaluating any of these mattresses and can offer an opinion about quality?

FWIW, my husband can sleep on any old thing, but I suffer from lower back pain, achy hips and pinched nerves.  I'm a side sleeper.  I'm in so much pain at night I just end up tossing and turning and don't get much rest.

Any comments anyone can offer about the above mattresses would be really greatly appreciated!  Thanks!
Re: New poster needs advice on Latex mattress - not a DIY
Reply #3 Sep 2, 2009 11:59 AM
I recently purchased a Snowmass mattress from Denver mattress.  http://www.denvermattress.com/details-60_788_MA-DMSMPLQ_0.htm 

I got a great deal on it at the store - $900 for the mattress and foundation.  So far we like it.  It took a few nights to get used to it, as it felt different than our old spring mattress.  The mattress has a 6" Talalay latex core with a 2" Talalay latex comfort  layer.  There is an inch of PU foam in the quilting layer.  Denver mattress had another latex mattress, the Cleopatra that was more expensive and also had more PU foam.  While the extra PU foam felt good in the store I thought that there was a greater chance that it would break down.  I also got a Cuddlebed from Costco, which I love.

This message was modified Sep 2, 2009 by terriks
Re: New poster needs advice on Latex mattress - not a DIY
Reply #4 Sep 2, 2009 12:50 PM
How does it feel? Firm, soft, cushy? Supportive? Please report back after a few days--thanks!

Recent Posts