Never buy online and never trust customer reviews on retailer websites
May 26, 2014 10:32 PM
I've only just been thrown into the mattress world.  I knew absolutely nothing about mattress, and in all honesty, they continue to elude me.  It's particularly difficult when you're on a budget, especially when you might be up against return fees etc etc.  The one thing I've learnt: NEVER BUY A MATTRESS ONLINE...EVER.  This can be tempting when you live remotely, don't have access to transport or are just in a hurry for a bed.  I almost purchased a cheap ikea bed, stupidly not realising I'd need either slats or box spring (extra cost).  Separate purchases would have meant 2 delivery fees at $100 a pop.  Then I almost purchased a Macy's mattress set online.  Just didn't get to the payment stage because I wanted to get a Macy's credit card for a 20% discount.  But I had to visit the store in person.  The mattress was on sale, reduced from $800, and all of the customer reviews on the website were positive.  So glad I went in.  I tried the mattress and it was horrible.  It was way too soft (every review said it was firm), it sunk, and it was sooo noisy.  Felt like I was on a really old bed.  I ended up getting a far better bed for just a little extra, but what a big difference. 
Re: Never buy online and never trust customer reviews on retailer websites
Reply #1 Jun 6, 2014 12:09 PM
I think everyone these days knows to read reviews with a critical eye.  Trying a mattress out is always good to do.  When you sleep in a hotel that has a great bed you might want to see who made it.

Recent Posts